ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I read the trilogy but haven't seen the movie yet. Anyone who has seen the movie and read the books have thoughts on how it fares as an adaption?

Caught this tonight at the theater, glad I didn't have anything ruined for me. Ended up really liking it, which I was not expecting. Nice surprise. Solid 8/10.

Really pissed this isnt coming to the movies in Aus but only Netflix.
Was uber keen to watch it on a Vmax screen

Fucken "derp, sci fi, adult films without super heros cant sell" shit

The first trailer made me go "oh thats cool" and read the book.

I fucking loved the book, currently in the middle of the second of the trilogy which whilst not as trippy or creepy is still pretty cool

I really need to go watch this again. I knew basically nothing about it before I watched the first time. I think it may even be better the second time around.

I think this will for sure be in my top 10 favorite movies of 2018 when the year is over.

@Strange King ,

I did see Game Night as well. Pretty hilarious and I liked that all the characters had their time to shine. McAdams really needs to do more comedies. She was great. Bateman consistently solid. Chandler had some spot on funny delivery (I ate at Panera...) and the supporting cast was damn good.

Meth Damon stole the show in my opinion though. Friggin hilarious.

Check out Rough Night from a year or two ago if you liked Game Night. Thoroughly underrated comedy, flew by everyone's radar & bombed but it was actually funny.

And yeah, that fucking scene with the bear is going to haunt my dreams.

5-Fear-and-Loathing-in-Las-Vegas-quotes.gif

great film... but god damn do you have to enjoy these kinds of movies.

Different from the book in some substantial ways, but I enjoy what he did with the material.

I read the trilogy but haven't seen the movie yet. Anyone who has seen the movie and read the books have thoughts on how it fares as an adaption?
totally different in story telling (how could you tell it like the book without giant fucking voice overs?) end is different. Same philosophical themes. Best to not focus on it as a spitting image of a book, but a film playing with similar ideas. Great movie though

great film... but god damn do you have to enjoy these kinds of movies.

Different from the book in some substantial ways, but I enjoy what he did with the material.

It makes me sad that this movie is a bomb.

Between this, BR:2049 failing, and the "sluggish box office" predictions for Spielberg's upcoming Ready Player One, it seems like this is not a good time for smart sci-fi to be very successful. People just wanna watch dumb shit apparently.

Between this, BR:2049 failing, and the "sluggish box office" predictions for Spielberg's upcoming Ready Player One, it seems like this is not a good time for smart sci-fi to be very successful. People just wanna watch dumb shit apparently.
Ready player one look really dumb to me though, not gonna lie

Generally, I agree though

Ready Player one looks pretty awful from trailers.

But unless your a fucking stupid super hero movie don't expect shit these days

I wanted to like annihilation more than I did. It needed a bit more scope.

I really wanted to like this movie. It was good but not great. Now that I think about it, it reminded me a lot of contact with jodie foster, at least the last 15 minutes. I know its cool in hollywood but the lack of explanation is a little irritating. Assuming the base of the movie really came down to her job and this new life was just a faster growing organism. Anyone care to sum up what their general thoughts are of what the hell happened in the shimmer? I saw another interesting theory on a chat board that her and her husband had been in the shimmer the whole time and you see their house on the inside of the bubble at one point in the movie.

Garbage Marvel movies + simpleton Americans who eat that shit up have really hurt creative bigger budget projects. Such a shame.

Before the Marvel movies it was just non-stop reboots. The problem is there is no creativity left in holly wood. It's just a bunch of dick\pussy grabbing ass holes who think they are better than everyone else.

I'll take the Marvel movies over a pippy longstocking reboot.

The Half in the Bag review makes me want to see it, sounds like my type of film.

Before the Marvel movies it was just non-stop reboots. The problem is there is no creativity left in holly wood. It's just a bunch of dick\pussy grabbing ass holes who think they are better than everyone else.

I'll take the Marvel movies over a pippy longstocking reboot.
Hollywood just gives people what they want. As long as millions of people will flock to theaters to see garbage ass remakes and garbage ass Marvel movies, they'll keep making them. It's not Hollywood's fault, it's the audience.

This was fucken awesome and my new favourite movie.

I just caught this film, in most films I usually look at my phone for a bit, but this one gripped me from start till finish, sign of a very god damn good movie.

Loved the themes explored in this film, loved the pacing, loved the acting.

Has a few memorable moments such as the the bear with that woman's voice, the dude with his intestines moving snakelike, the mimicking alien at the end etc.

Portman really nailed her role, S/O to her ass too.

Rewatchble? I think so, may catch little details on a second watch.

Back