PM May: Highly Likely Russia Behind Spy Attack

Anyone from the UK know anything about this facility? Thought its proximity to this event should at least be mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_CBRN_Centre

The Defence Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Centre (the Defence CBRN Centre or DCBRNC for short) is a United Kingdom military facility at Winterbourne Gunner in Wiltshire, south of Porton Down and about 4 miles (6 km) northeast of Salisbury. It is a tri-service location, with the Royal Air Force being the lead service. The centre is responsible for all training issues relating to chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) defence and warfare for the UK's armed forces.

Shouldn't May consider the possibility of a connection here, or at least release the evidence pointing to Russian involvement?

Porton Down has a couple govt labs as well:

Porton Down is a United Kingdom science park, situated just northeast of the village of Porton near Salisbury, in Wiltshire, England. It is home to two UK Government facilities: a site of the Ministry of Defence's Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) – known for over 100 years as one of the UK's most secretive and controversial military research facilities, occupying 7,000 acres (2,800 ha)[1] – and a site of Public Health England.[2] It is also home to other private and commercial science organisations, and is expanding to attract other companies.

The site is commonly confused with the nearby chemical-biological-radiological-nuclear (CBRN) training facility, the Defence CBRN Centre at Winterbourne Gunner.

I know that if Porton Down was situated in the outer Hebrides people that wanted to see the situation in Salisbury a certain way still would .

That's a pretty weak argument.

Nobody ever said they should give all the evidence away to Russia. That's downright idiotic to think that.

The Russians are demanding samples of the nerve agent.

To be honest, it's just posturing on the part of the Russians.

Libya under Gadaffi also killed a British female police officer on the streets of London, gave financial support to the IRA and was responsible for the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie. With the loss of 270 people. So my sympathy for the Libyans is somewhat mitigated.

The U.S. has killed tons of people on the streets of tons of cities, give financial and military support to all sorts of terrorist groups, and are responsible for shooting down Iran Air Flight 655 which killed 290 people.

So, where's the dead American president being paraded through streets by terrorists?

The U.S. has killed tons of people on the streets of tons of cities, give financial and military support to all sorts of terrorist groups, and are responsible for shooting down Iran Air Flight 655 which killed 290 people.

So, where's the dead American president being paraded through streets by terrorists?

None of those acts were a direct attack on my country.

The Russians are demanding samples of the nerve agent.

To be honest, it's just posturing on the part of the Russians.

So? It's not like the U.K. government wouldn't still have samples of their own. What are they afraid of by not releasing the evidence? Being proven wrong?

It's just posturing on both sides..... because like Russia said, they have nukes. But so does England. So they'll just trade words, state department officials will have lunch together, and nothing will really happen.

So? It's not like the U.K. government wouldn't still have samples of their own. What are they afraid of by not releasing the evidence? Being proven wrong?

It's just posturing on both sides..... because like Russia said, they have nukes. But so does England. So they'll just trade words, state department officials will have lunch together, and nothing will really happen.

The Russians will, "test" the sample, then claim it was not made in a Russian lab. They are just trying to muddy the waters.

The Russians will, "test" the sample, then claim it was not made in a Russian lab. They are just trying to muddy the waters.

And maybe the UK doesn't want Russia to have access to the sample because they will be proven innocent, which is why they're proclaiming them guilty without giving any evidence (much like the Syria gas attacks).

That works both ways.

Not directly.

There's no proof that Gadaffi is behind the attack to begin with.

You mean apart from Gadaffi accepting responsibility for the attack and paying compensation to the relatives of some of the victims in 2003?

And maybe the UK doesn't want Russia to have access to the sample because they will be proven innocent, which is why they're proclaiming them guilty without giving any evidence (much like the Syria gas attacks).

That works both ways.

Russia is a Mafia state. Britain, for all it's faults, is a democracy. Even were I a neutral observer, it would be an easy call as to who I would tend to believe.

You mean apart from Gadaffi accepting responsibility for the attack and paying compensation to the relatives of some of the victims in 2003?

Claiming responsibility and actually ordering it to be done are two separate things.

He always denied ordering it to be done.

Claiming responsibility and actually ordering it to be done are two separate things.

He always denied ordering it to be done.

There was no paper trail linking Hitler to the Holocaust. Are you saying Hitler wasn't responsible?

That works both ways.

But why would the UK claim it was Russia when that is not correct.
There is no upside for the UK out of this. They would prefer if it wasn't Russia.

Same as I can't imagine the Russian wanted this to go down this way with so much exposure.
Something must have gone wrong somewhere.

Russia is Mafia state. Britain, for all it's faults, is a democracy. Even were I a neutral observer, it would be an easy call as to who I would tend to believe.

The United States is a democracy and yet they completely lied about WMDs in Iraq and invaded the country on those lies.

So why are democracies so inherently believable? Because CNN says so?

Russia is a Mafia state. Britain, for all it's faults, is a democracy. Even were I a neutral observer, it would be an easy call as to who I would tend to believe.

Also, there is no reason for the UK to blame Russia for it if they aren't sure.
Like on top of all the trouble the UK has at the moment. The last thing they need is a diplomatic crisis with Russia.
It just doesn't make any sense for any logical thinking person.

But why would the UK claim it was Russia when that is not correct.
There is no upside for the UK out of this. They would prefer if it wasn't Russia.

Same as I can't imagine the Russian wanted this to go down this way with so much exposure.
Something must have gone wrong somewhere.

You mean why is the West uniting against Russia?

The United States is a democracy and yet they completely lied about WMDs in Iraq and invaded the country on those lies.

So why are democracies so inherently believable? Because CNN says so?

Because there are checks and balances in a democratic nation. Don't like what your government is doing in your name? Protest against it. Vote out the politicians you feel do not have your nation's best interests at heart. Those are your rights under the American Constitution, or the legal system of the United Kingdom.

Try the same thing in Russia and, if you are very, very lucky, you'll just be thrown in jail. If you're unlucky, a bullet in the head isn't even the worse thing that can happen.

I'm going to do you the courtesy of assuming you are playing Devil's Advocate in this thread. Not many people are stupid enough to actually suggest a moral equivalency between Putin's Russia and the UK or America.

Also, there is no reason for the UK to blame Russia for it if they aren't sure.
Like on top of all the trouble the UK has at the moment. The last thing they need is a diplomatic crisis with Russia.
It just doesn't make any sense for any logical thinking person.

Congratulations, you win a cookie. So many people are so determined to find a conspiracy they forget to ask the most obvious question: Cue Bono? Who profits? The UK has more than enough problems at the moment without going to absurd lengths to pick a fight with one of the most powerful and aggressive nations on earth.

Back