Artists that are clearly ridiculous, yet you like them

loisestrad

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Such as represented in this tune. It's great and yet over-the-top ridiculous, which Therion in general tend to be (btw).

Last edited:
Frank Zappa dipped pretty deeply into the absurdity well.

And couched it in fantastic music played by top musicians

+ scientology, orange plastic clothes, changing name to symbol, addiction to the colour purple and the worst wardrobe this side of the 1970's...

Love him!

Jonathan Richman and John Otway spring to mind.

Admittedly pretty tame compared to some, but there is an underlying thing of general silliness.

The stories of The Butthole Surfers' live shows endear me as well.

Oh and The Replacements.

Mr. Bungle's California album is a work of art though, not as chaotic as their previous stuff.

Also Weird Al, Ween, They Might Be Giants, King Missile, Green Jelly, etc. all have good stuff.

Last edited:
Steel Panther! \m/

They're beyond ridiculous with the over the top 80's satire but they put on a great live show .

This whole album was ridiculously stupid, yet I could listen to the entire thing over and over.

Steel Panther! \m/

They're beyond ridiculous with the over the top 80's satire but they put on a great live show .

Used to see Ralph Saenz (lead singer) perform with Atomic Punks. So fucking fun and a really friendly guy. And amazing Van Halen covers.

This whole album was ridiculously stupid, yet I could listen to the entire thing over and over.

Used to bump that a lot as well.

Still one of the more fucked up songs I heard.

I've seen them open up for various bands through the years. Are they still around?
Nah they've been gone for a couple years now. It's too bad, they had such great stage presence for a band that mostly performed via playing tracks in the background at their concerts, and a drummer that was Meg White-level.

Used to see Ralph Saenz (lead singer) perform with Atomic Punks. So fucking fun and a really friendly guy. And amazing Van Halen covers.
That's awesome! I also think it's hilarious to see him in the movie Rock Star trying out for Steel Dragon.

Beck used to be, and I dig some of his stuff. The Gallagher brothers come to mind as well.

Great call on Dread Zeppelin @Jackonfire! Love that band but haven't listened to them in ages.

9353.jpg

Buckethead is insanely talented but his costume isn't his only quirk. Live he often breaks out nunchucks on stage, he does the robot and is just a genuinely odd guy.

One show I saw of his was a late-night solo performance at a really small club in Chicago. He was playing over a drum track that was playing on a mini tape recorder fed into a mic. At one point he just froze and stood there as his prerecorded drum track took a drum solo. So fucking funny. Who the hell does that?

Frank Zappa dipped pretty deeply into the absurdity well.

And couched it in fantastic music played by top musicians
I wanted to like Zappa but i just couldnt. It was just too "stupid" for me. I like the guy,and wished i liked his music more.

Great call on Dread Zeppelin @Jackonfire! Love that band but haven't listened to them in ages.

9353.jpg

Buckethead is insanely talented but his costume isn't his only quirk. Live he often breaks out nunchucks on stage, he does the robot and is just a genuinely odd guy.

One show I saw of his was a late-night solo performance at a really small club in Chicago. He was playing over a drum track that was playing on a mini tape recorder fed into a mic. At one point he just froze and stood there as his prerecorded drum track took a drum solo. So fucking funny. Who the hell does that?

Have you heard about his love for Disney?

Back