Sedentary men on testosterone vs natural bodybuilders study

PubliusVentidius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Pretty hilarious study:

"We randomly assigned 43 normal men to one of four groups: placebo with no exercise, testosterone with no exercise, placebo plus exercise, and testosterone plus exercise. The men received injections of 600 mg of testosterone enanthate or placebo weekly for 10 weeks. The men in the exercise groups performed standardized weight-lifting exercises three times weekly. Before and after the treatment period, fat-free mass was determined by underwater weighing, muscle size was measured by magnetic resonance imaging, and the strength of the arms and legs was assessed by bench-press and squatting exercises, respectively.

Among the men in the no-exercise groups, those given testosterone had greater increases than those given placebo in muscle size in their arms (mean [±SE] change in triceps area, 424±104 vs. -81±109 mm2; P<0.05) and legs (change in quadriceps area, 607±123 vs. -131±111 mm2; P<0.05) and greater increases in strength in the bench-press (9±4 vs. -1±1 kg, P<0.05) and squatting exercises (16±4 vs. 3±1 kg, P<0.05). The men assigned to testosterone and exercise had greater increases in fat-free mass (6.1±0.6 kg) and muscle size (triceps area, 501±104 mm2; quadriceps area, 1174±91 mm2) than those assigned to either no-exercise group, and greater increases in muscle strength (bench-press strength, 22±2 kg; squatting-exercise capacity, 38±4 kg) than either no-exercise group. Neither mood nor behavior was altered in any group."

• Group 1 (no exercise, natural) experienced no significant changes. No surprise there.
  • Group 2 (no exercise, drug use) was able to build about 7 pounds of muscle. That’s not a typo. The group receiving testosterone injections and NOT working out at all gained 7 pounds of muscle.
  • Group 3 (exercise, natural) was able to build about 4 pounds of muscle.
  • Group 4 (exercise, drug use) was able to build about 13 pounds of muscle.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101

<Moyes5>

Nothing surprising there.......what's your point?

Well, I didn't know that you could take testo and just sit on your sofa and end up with considerable more muscle gain than people busting their asses off in the gym. I was under the assumption that you still had to put some work in lol.

Well, I didn't know that you could take testo and just sit on your sofa and end up with considerable more muscle gain than people busting their asses off in the gym. I was under the assumption that you still had to put some work in lol.
Yeah, i read the study before, my friend was taking trt and he rarely worked out and he started looking more masculine while on it, his fore arms looked bigger as well and he grew more hair he told me he put on 15 pounds, probabaly 8 pounds lean muscle in a few months.

Now imagine if he started lifting serious and eating clean with more protien? He would look like those fake nattys on youtube

This also shows that a natural person can only really gain up to .5 lbs per week.

Understood, it's really the reason why men as they age have to put so much effort in and will never see the results of their youth and then say fuck it and get on the T.

Geez! 600mg/weekly?! That’s about double a therapeutic dose! Maybe a bit more.

600mgs a week and no exercise would equal a ton of jerking off while sitting on your couch.

Grew more hair? On his head?
No body hair, he started growing hair in places he never had coarse hair before like his shoulders, nipples, toes, and ear hairs. I remember him at the beach and he had his shirt off and was jacked, but one of our friends said dam man you looking like teen wolf and he got embarrassed.

Not surprising. The real benefit of lifting is the hormonal response, that's what causes the muscle growth. Artificially adding the hormones in the same level, should have the same effect.

Not surprising. The real benefit of lifting is the hormonal response, that's what causes the muscle growth. Artificially adding the hormones in the same level, should have the same effect.
you take any supps or trt?

Yeah but they will lose it pretty soon after stopping it

If you could keep your gains that would be awesome

I once gained 50kg of muscle naturally.

Just ate regular meals from the age of 4 - 20

Pictures or it didn't happen.......

baby-black-and-white-4.png

f6bbf83f94db8bc06d03dfd833b781a8--big-black-black-men.jpg

Back