Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually liked it. Totally different, interesting, not great. Had some really creepy moments. The beasts were awesome and freaky. Concept was pretty cool. 7/10.

I thought it was awesome. Probably 8/10 for me. I liked almost every aspect of it. Definitely some of the creepiest shit I've seen in a movie of late, but also an intelligent, interesting story well adapted both narratively and visually.

Game Night - 7.5/10

Pretty disappointed about this one. I mean it had some funny moments, and overall it was enjoyable. But I guess I heard too many good things about it and it certainly didn't live up. My biggest complaint was that some of the parts were too over the top ridiculous and unbelievable it just detracted. Also, similarly, there were just too many disconnected random movie turns and lulls and whatever. Just a lot of stuff thrown together.

Examples of the above:

where he cleans up the dog with the shirt and some water. I mean anyone with a brain would know that smearing the blood all over the dog isn't a way to cleanup/hide the blood. The dog shaking itself all over the dude's wife shrine and it being a shirt of her was funny, but the whole scene was way too unbelievable.

Other problems were where they just bent over backwards to save his brother, then speed off leaving him to get what seemed an inevitable shooting. But somehow they're able to regroup, get their friends and then find him. Those kind of lulls and plot turns that didn't make sense made the film feel rather thrown together.

But overall it was quite funny still. Thank goodness I'm a comedy nut.

Oh yeah assuredly disjointed but I don't think many comedies hold up under scrutiny if we're talking about making them adhere to events or interactions as we see them in the real world. In my opinion, it was one of the better comedies I've seen in the past few years.

I thought the cast was uniformly great. Bateman and McAdams really felt perfect for those roles. McAdams definitely seems right at home in comedy. She should do more of them. And I really like her in this one because she got to be hilarious while also being a likable character. Unlike, for instance, when she was in Mean Girls and was just a p.o.s. or Wedding Crashers where she was sort of the straight (wo)man and did not have much comedy to deliver.

I greatly appreciated that the supporting characters all had a lot to do. Winnie the Bish and his wife's argument was good and had a damn solid payoff. Magnussen and his Irish co-worker were also likable and had some hilarious moments.

Kyle Chandler is good in anything and Meth Damon stole every scene he was in.

I thought it was awesome. Probably 8/10 for me. I liked almost every aspect of it. Definitely some of the creepiest shit I've seen in a movie of late, but also an intelligent, interesting story well adapted both narratively and visually.

I agree. Maybe I should have rated it higher, honestly. I'm a horror fan and it nailed some of those aspects for sure. And it kept you thinking throughout. Maybe the one aspect I found weak was:

the fact that it was 5 women sent in. It almost felt like reverse sexism lol. And the characters felt a little stereotypical, particularly the lesbian one.

But anyway, it was really good.

Oh yeah assuredly disjointed but I don't think many comedies hold up under scrutiny if we're talking about making them adhere to events or interactions as we see them in the real world. In my opinion, it was one of the better comedies I've seen in the past few years.

Comedy is probably my favorite genre, and for sure the majority of the time you have to suspend a certain amount of believability. But to me this wasn't going for the dumb type comedies like Dumb and Dumber or MacGruber, those type. It was more of the sophisticated mainstream type, and for those, and actually any to be honest, it was really all over the place and disjointed. But anyway, I'll let that go simply because it was pretty funny.

I thought the cast was uniformly great. Bateman and McAdams really felt perfect for those roles. McAdams definitely seems right at home in comedy. She should do more of them. And I really like her in this one because she got to be hilarious while also being a likable character. Unlike, for instance, when she was in Mean Girls and was just a p.o.s. or Wedding Crashers where she was sort of the straight (wo)man and did not have much comedy to deliver.

I agree 100 percent with you here. The cast was great. I really like Bateman in most of his roles and he delivered. The dumb friend and his dates was a hilarious aspect (the actor was hilariously believable). Also, the neighbor cop was fantastic. And, MacAdams was made for this type of a role. It nearly erased from my memory the abomination that was her hard-boiled role in True Detective 2. She captures the screen as an adorable babe and was perfect. The black couple was hilarious, particularly the "celebrity" part lol.

Yeah, the casting was the strong point for sure.

I greatly appreciated that the supporting characters all had a lot to do. Winnie the Bish and his wife's argument was good and had a damn solid payoff. Magnussen and his Irish co-worker were also likable and had some hilarious moments.

Kyle Chandler is good in anything and Meth Damon stole every scene he was in.

Agreed on these too.

Maybe I should have rated it higher. It was one of the funnier new comedies I've seen in awhile. I guess expectation made my experience not as good, which happens unfortunately.

One thing that helped when I saw It, there were some teen girls back a few rows who were laughing their asses off like it was the funniest thing they'd ever seen. Somehow that kind of vibe spreads through the cinema. Reminded me a bit of my viewing of Let's Be Cops.

Yeah, it was good. My only real complaint was the disjointedness.

Tried Why Him, and then Nocturnal Animals, both were too horrible to watch, and I had to turn them off. 0-2.

Okay, for tonight (3 theatre movies in 3 nights), I watched:

Death Wish - 8.3/10

I have no clue why some of the ratings sites crucified this one, but it was actually really good. And apart from a Mod in here saying Willis is supposedly an asshole in real life, the guy was awesome. Lots of realistic emotion and he was Badass.

All around solid acting performances. The action scenes were quite believable. All real effects in the vein of Jack Reacher and the like. Maybe John Wick. No craptastic CG so that was nice.

The best scene had to be:

when he walks up and shoots the ice cream man. That was classic. One only wishes it was somehow drug out a little longer and repeated in variations with other scumballs. But the abruptness of that scene was brilliant. And Badass.

Good solid action fun.

Saw The Strangers: Prey at Night
Very boring, bland horror movie, hits all the cues and tropes of your bog standard horror flick. Only upsides to film were a cool soundtrack and the mom in movie was smoking hot. 5/10

The Outsider

5.5/10

Hmm, decent acting. Some decent action scene. Jared Leto - how is this guy older than me and still looking like an early 30yr old?

Anyhow, the ending sucked IMO and it is a weak story line (plot). It's on netflix so it is free but may not be a waste of your money but potentially a waste of your time.

Nocturnal Animals was pretty good IMO.

If you can get past the first two and a half minutes.

My dad and I saw it together at a theater that shows a lot of independent and awards type movies and draws an elderly crowd. We just sat there during those opening credits pretending we weren’t seeing what we were seeing.

I fully expected some people to walk out as I recall another time at this theater three elderly ladies from walking out of Inherent Vice when Joaquin was having his conversation with the cute chick who worked at the massage parlor.

I liked Nocturnal Animals in parts but some aspects definitely pissed me off. Best elements for sure were all in the story within the story- ATJ, Shannon and Jake were all very good.

If you can get past the first two and a half minutes.

My dad and I saw it together at a theater that shows a lot of independent and awards type movies and draws an elderly crowd. We just sat there during those opening credits pretending we weren’t seeing what we were seeing.

I fully expected some people to walk out as I recall another time at this theater three elderly ladies from walking out of Inherent Vice when Joaquin was having his conversation with the cute chick who worked at the massage parlor.

I liked Nocturnal Animals in parts but some aspects definitely pissed me off. Best elements for sure were all in the story within the story- ATJ, Shannon and Jake were all very good.

I honestly don't remember the first couple of minutes lol. I only saw it once. I guess I liked Michael Shannon's role and performance best, I kept second-guessing him too.

Definitely parts pissed me off. Not sure it was a satisfying film. But it kept me somewhat riveted which counts for something to me.

I honestly don't remember the first couple of minutes lol. I only saw it once. I guess I liked Michael Shannon's role and performance best, I kept second-guessing him too.

Definitely parts pissed me off. Not sure it was a satisfying film. But it kept me somewhat riveted which counts for something to me.

Even if that car ride from Hell scene had been the only good part of the movie, there would be something worth recommending. That sequence where Jake, Isla Fisher and the daughter are antagonized and then terrorized by ATJ and his friends was effectively chilling and very creepily unsettling. Very good atmosphere and intensity there.

Strangers: Prey At Night (2018) - 7/10

Pretty solid for a horror movie sequel. Starts a little slow but really picks up hard in the last 30 minutes or so. Definitely have to turn your mind off a little though in order to not be super frustrated by some of the character’s decisions, but still a really entertaining slasher imo.

A Wrinkle In Time (2018) - 3/10

Absolute hot garbage, so much shitty dialogue and poor acting, I spent most of the film desperately wanting it to be over. Also the most obnoxious character in the movie (a young boy) gets the most lines in the movie, it sucked so hard.

One of the last ones, because memory fails me - American Made. I've gone a full cycle with Tom Cruise, from having a man crush since circa M:I 1, to detesting him and all the Scientology bullshit, to being just fucking amazed again in American Made. Fucking excellent movie.

Got sent home early because of weather. Got home, slept for about an hour. Got up, ate, then went to the theatre to see Gringo.

8/10. Great movie. Dark comedy. Reminded me of The Mexican. Lead actor (have no idea what his name is) was great. Edgerton's pulls off the douchebag prick too a tee. Charlize is charlize - she starting deteriorate in terms of her sex/looks appeal IMO. But she is a decent enough actress.

Not sure about the ending
why did Charlize's character get off scott free? She was just as much of a scumbag as joel's character.

Dream House Nightmare (2017)

MV5BMDZjYzI5NDgtZTZiZC00MWU3LWEwOTgtYzAyMDkzZjVlNjA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk2NTY3MQ@@._V1_SY1000_SX705_AL_.jpg

This wasn't a "great" production, and the actors were pretty unfamiliar, but the performances were not bad. I am sucker for the "inspired by a true story" thiller/horror movies.

8/10 - "B"

Last edited:
Even if that car ride from Hell scene had been the only good part of the movie, there would be something worth recommending. That sequence where Jake, Isla Fisher and the daughter are antagonized and then terrorized by ATJ and his friends was effectively chilling and very creepily unsettling. Very good atmosphere and intensity there.

Ah, was the car ride scene the first 2 minutes? That scene actually pissed me off, was kind of annoying. It felt like Jake's character had no balls. Anyway, I thought it got better after that.

Strangers: Prey At Night (2018) - 7/10

Pretty solid for a horror movie sequel. Starts a little slow but really picks up hard in the last 30 minutes or so. Definitely have to turn your mind off a little though in order to not be super frustrated by some of the character’s decisions, but still a really entertaining slasher imo.

A Wrinkle In Time (2018) - 3/10

Absolute hot garbage, so much shitty dialogue and poor acting, I spent most of the film desperately wanting it to be over. Also the most obnoxious character in the movie (a young boy) gets the most lines in the movie, it sucked so hard.

I've been debating watching Strangers. I thought the first one was alright, but wasn't a huge fan like some. Maybe I watch it after all.

One of the last ones, because memory fails me - American Made. I've gone a full cycle with Tom Cruise, from having a man crush since circa M:I 1, to detesting him and all the Scientology bullshit, to being just fucking amazed again in American Made. Fucking excellent movie.

I thought it was decent.

And Tom is the greatest. After so many years It's unbelievable.

A wrinkle in time 8/10

The movie nailed the fanciful feel: characters, dialogue, look etc. Watched it with my 8 year old daugher, who was mesmerized and loved it, wo this may have biased me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back