Sabas SS bubbling

Jonathan Mohr

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What's up, I got an issue with my Sabas SS 16oz gloves. Had them about 6 months, bought Oct or Nov 2017. Sparring gloves, so all I've done is break them in on the bag a bit, and sparred a couple rounds.

Right hand glove is bubbling under the leather all over, black leather so it's harder to see, but wtf is up with this? Is it plastic covering the foam bunching up under the leather, Is the plastic layer ripped in there? And damn, 6 months in and my glove is all full of lumps, disappointing.
iframe>

20180327_103522.jpg

20180327_103637.jpg

Just checked and same thing on my red SS, just not as bad, not as noticeable.

Almost certainly the plastic part.

I don’t understand how Sabas continues to get sales despite the constant negative press. Covfefe.

Almost certainly the plastic part.

I don’t understand how Sabas continues to get sales despite the constant negative press. Covfefe.

I guess I won't be buying any more of their gloves...too bad, some things I really like about them, but not the durability.

Durability and quality more generally seem to be a big problem for Sabas. Many people are reporting the same thing.

But as hangulmalmotayo notes, Sabas continues to sell lots of gloves. Why is that?

I suspect it's simply because they look like really great gloves, they're relatively inexpensive, and they (often, though not always) perform well in the short-term (hence receive some good reviews from guys who've only used them for one or two bag sessions).

And that's pretty much how it goes with lots of gear these days.

Same as above, liked the gloves, don't think they are like Winning at all, alot narrower. But, same thing, just fell apart after 6 months, i did use them alot, but, durability not strong point.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair of 14oz Fairtex BGL7's today, they seem to have a reputation for better durability, I'll see how they hold up. Hear they can be tough to break in.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair of 14oz Fairtex BGL7's today, they seem to have a reputation for better durability, I'll see how they hold up. Hear they can be tough to break in.
Not as tough as Reyes. They’re a lot more durable than Sabas.

I have a pair of pro series for sparring and In a couple of months I found loose stitching near the thumb attachment which gets worse with every training I really regret buying them

This is really common with SuperSofts. I’m not sure why they can’t fix it. I don’t think it is really going to affect the performance of the gloves any though.

I almost bought Sabas before deciding to go with Topboxer. Glad I didn't buy them.

I sparred with the black SS tonight, they feel pretty well broken in, just that the damn lumps look like crap, liner inside is too baggy for my liking, they weigh 17oz instead of 16oz, and the leather is cracking on the striking surface of the gloves. I haven't really used them that much in 6 months. No loose stitches on mine yet though. Would be happier if I had paid $60 for them, not $120. For $120 I expect better.

And we need pics of your TopBoxer gloves....or a review

Haven't been able to use them yet because I've been struggling with sickness, but a review will be up soon, once I've had a few weeks to use them. Blurred out a bit on the glove cause it had my last name.IMG_1743.JPG

Last edited:
This is really common with SuperSofts. I’m not sure why they can’t fix it. I don’t think it is really going to affect the performance of the gloves any though.
I think they wrap the foam in plastic (slightly thicker than a grocery bag) in order to water proof it. I forget where I heard that—I think on the forums. In any case, if that's what they're going for then they've found a very cheap way to prevent moisture and mold from forming in their foam. It's cheap, but it is a short-term solution since the grocery bag pretty quickly tears and bunches up in different parts of the glove. The same thing occurred in my Triple Cuffs a few years ago. Due to a tear in the liner itself, I was able to pull the entire thing out of the glove.

The main thing with Sabas, I think, is that in order for them to get the sort of padding that they're going for (i.e., broken-in, super soft, comfortable, etc.) requires that they use a padding that is also not very durable. So what accounts for the initial satisfaction of the glove is also responsible for its short life.

I think they wrap the foam in plastic (slightly thicker than a grocery bag) in order to water proof it. I forget where I heard that—I think on the forums. In any case, if that's what they're going for then they've found a very cheap way to prevent moisture and mold from forming in their foam. It's cheap, but it is a short-term solution since the grocery bag pretty quickly tears and bunches up in different parts of the glove. The same thing occurred in my Triple Cuffs a few years ago. Due to a tear in the liner itself, I was able to pull the entire thing out of the glove.

The main thing with Sabas, I think, is that in order for them to get the sort of padding that they're going for (i.e., broken-in, super soft, comfortable, etc.) requires that they use a padding that is also not very durable. So what accounts for the initial satisfaction of the glove is also responsible for its short life.
This might be the post you are referring to regarding the plastic. This is from MRV several months ago. They refer to it as a “poly bag”:

“I have NEVER seen dimples and lumps beneath the leather on any other glove in my life, even £15 everlast crappies so I don't understand what they mean by "the creases are caused by a poly bag which is used to fill the glove" what does that mean? I thought all handmade gloves use hand carved pre glued foams and certainly not anything which has been "filled".”

I sparred with the black SS tonight, they feel pretty well broken in, just that the damn lumps look like crap, liner inside is too baggy for my liking, they weigh 17oz instead of 16oz, and the leather is cracking on the striking surface of the gloves. I haven't really used them that much in 6 months. No loose stitches on mine yet though. Would be happier if I had paid $60 for them, not $120. For $120 I expect better.

Same with mine, loose lining. Very annoying, every time put my hand in glove my fingers would grab all this loose lining in glove. Again bloody annoying.

I wonder if their quality is going down because they are selling in much higher volumes now. I know you used to be able to email them and get a response right away...now it takes a while, and sometimes you have to email them multiple times (Instagram is the fastest way to get a response by the way). I’d be curious to know who actually manufactures their gear in Mexico.

I wonder if their quality is going down because they are selling in much higher volumes now. I know you used to be able to email them and get a response right away...now it takes a while, and sometimes you have to email them multiple times (Instagram is the fastest way to get a response by the way). I’d be curious to know who actually manufactures their gear in Mexico.
Doubt it. Quality was not very good a few years ago...

Back