latest rumors on WBSS: 140 and 118, Inoue possibly in

ironfist05

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/a-look-ahead-into-the-world-boxing-super-series/

https://www.boxingscene.com/naoya-inoue-promoter-contacted-by-world-boxing-super-series--126702

sounds like 118 could be (ideally): Butler, McDonell, Haskins, Tete, Inoue and Burnett (plus maybe some Mexican or Latino talent, which Kalle mentioned wanting). Jason Moloney also expressed interest if he beats Kono. maybe even Solis.

140 maybe: Terry Flanagan, Kiryl Relikh, Adrien Broner, Josh Taylor, Regis Prograis, Anthony Yigit, Jack Catterall and Julius Indongo

original rumors were LW, with Linares, Loma, Beltran, Campbell, Crolla and Burns

Last edited:
The The Cruiserweight Tourney has been pretty great to watch, although I hope they get some kind of TV deal going forward or find a streaming service willing to air these fights.

Imagine:

Burnett (WBA) vs Payano
Tete (WBO) vs Haskins
Butler/Rodriguez (IBF) (let's say Butler) vs Moloney
Inoue/McDonnell (let's say Inoue) vs Rigondeaux

reserves: Rodriguez/Butler loser (let's say Rodriguez), Inoue/McDonnell loser (let's say McDonnell)

crazy tournament there and I could see Inoue, Tete, Burnett and Rigo all realistically winning it.

Hopefully ever fight isn't on a separate card. I feel like it would be a lot better is for at least the first round they put two fights from the tournament back to back on one card to hype the next one. Having every fight on a different card at a different location and date made it harder to follow than necessary.

Nery wants in too apparently. Definitely would be better than Haskins/Moloney/Payano

Inoue beats Nery and gets a hero's homecoming in Japan
Well, he'd definitely get a hero's homecoming for sure if he won. But as much as I hate the cheat, Nery's a baaaad man, no guarantee at all that Inoue beats him.

Well, he'd definitely get a hero's homecoming for sure if he won. But as much as I hate the cheat, Nery's a baaaad man, no guarantee at all that Inoue beats him.
while this is true, let's not forget naoya is the baddest motherfucker around that weight. that kid has murderous power.

while this is true, let's not forget naoya is the baddest motherfucker around that weight. that kid has murderous power.
true, but that's just a badass fight, assuming Nery makes hte weight. Throw in Tete, Rigo, and Burnett and you've got a stacked tournament. Absoultely stacked.

Imagine:

Burnett (WBA) vs Payano
Tete (WBO) vs Haskins
Butler/Rodriguez (IBF) (let's say Butler) vs Moloney
Inoue/McDonnell (let's say Inoue) vs Rigondeaux

reserves: Rodriguez/Butler loser (let's say Rodriguez), Inoue/McDonnell loser (let's say McDonnell)

crazy tournament there and I could see Inoue, Tete, Burnett and Rigo all realistically winning it.

Yeah that’s would be a fckin great tournament. 118 looks better than 140 and all of those 4 guys could win it (would be cheering for Ryan Burnett but he’d have his work cut out). Shame McDonnell and Inoue are already due to fight if it does go ahead

The CW tournie has been brilliant.

i hope it materializes

WBSS looked good, also im always up to see a tournament

Well, I'm not sold on the chances we have to see another 8-man tournament that wouldn't be plagued with injuries, but it looks good. Especially at 118. I guess Inoue runs through it, and I wish he runs through Nery in the process.

allright boys, confirmed for WBSS 140:

Regis Prograis
Ivan Baranchyk
Anthony Yigit
Kiryl Relikh
Eduard Troyanovsky
Ryan Martin

118 is:
Burnett
Tete
Emmanuel Rodriguez

Also, sounds like Groves might be replaced with Eubank Jr. Uzcategui apparently wants to be the replacement and I'd much rather him.

Last edited:
Also, sounds like they're trying to get Josh Taylor in at 140. Of course there's still interest in getting Inoue in at 118.

Regis Prograis
Ivan Baranchyk
Anthony Yigit
Kiryl Relikh
Eduard Troyanovsky
Ryan Martin

118 is:
Burnett
Tete
Emmanuel Rodriguez

Also, sounds like Groves might be replaced with either Eubank Jr. Uzcategui apparently wants to be the replacement and I'd much rather him.
Meh.

yeah, 140 isn't hte most exciting division. 118 already has some great fighters though. I think the pattern we'll see from WBSS is two tournaments, one stacked and one decent but not great.

At least with this we'll see Prograis get his shot at legitimate titles.

Last edited:

Regis Prograis
Ivan Baranchyk
Anthony Yigit
Kiryl Relikh
Eduard Troyanovsky
Ryan Martin

118 is:
Burnett
Tete
Emmanuel Rodriguez

Also, sounds like Groves might be replaced with Eubank Jr. Uzcategui apparently wants to be the replacement and I'd much rather him.

Uzcategui would stop Smith (or Groves or Eubank Jr.). Wouldn't mind seeing him step in, but I'm more interested to see him against Benavidez or Ramirez (Benavidez/Uzcategui could be a classic).

Back