Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know, but who cares?

We've all been to this rodeo before. They'll be factory overclocked versions of the same processors limited to the same ~4.1GHz wall. Doesn't seem to be much point.

They're advertising the 2700x at 4.3ghz turbo or whatever AMD calls it. An i7-8700 is 4.6 turbo. You're getting 2/4 more cores with Ryzen 2.
R5 2600x is 4.3ghz turbo and the i5-8600 is 4.6. You're getting 2/8 more cores this time.
Prices are comparable.
They're still not going to trade blows with the 8700k, but for anything under that I would look towards Ryzen. That's of course depends on benchmarks.

They're advertising the 2700x at 4.3ghz turbo or whatever AMD calls it. An i7-8700 is 4.6 turbo. You're getting 2/4 more cores with Ryzen 2.
R5 2600x is 4.3ghz turbo and the i5-8600 is 4.6. You're getting 2/8 more cores this time.
Prices are comparable.
They're still not going to trade blows with the 8700k, but for anything under that I would look towards Ryzen. That's of course depends on benchmarks.
Shit, for real? I just went to Anandtech. That's pretty big. That's a whopping 0.3GHz boost over the Turbo of the 1800X. I've got my foot in my mouth, here. This appears to be an imminent, second HUGE victory for AMD with Ryzen.

The i5-8400's undisputed status as the high-end value gaming king CPU is in jeopardy.

Shit, for real? I just went to Anandtech. That's pretty big. That's a whopping 0.3GHz boost over the Turbo of the 1800X. I've got my foot in my mouth, here. This appears to be an imminent, second HUGE victory for AMD with Ryzen.

The i5-8400's undisputed status as the high-end value gaming king CPU is in jeopardy.

I'm still skeptical, but things are looking a lot better this round.
TDP is higher on AMD chips, but 65w vs 90w isn't that big of a deal to me especially when AMD includes a CPU cooler that isn't garbage.
The only downside I still see in Ryzen is you need that faster, more expensive ram. But if you take the cost savings from not having to get a different cooler and put that savings towards faster ram, it almost evens out.

What I'm excited for is the lower end cpu's. AMD already rules the i3/r3 section. If they can bump an r3 up to 4.3ghz 4/4 and under $150, it will force Intel to respond.

Last edited:
Level1techs had a great unboxing video

Who can explain the key difference between an Intel arn an AMD processor.
Is there a fundamental difference ?

Who can explain the key difference between an Intel arn an AMD processor.
Is there a fundamental difference ?
"Fundamental"? No, not according to the spirit of that word as I interpret you to mean it. Outside motherboard socketing they are virtually interchangeable and compatible for all software tasks.

If you want the most detailed explanation of the difference you're going to end up looking at overheard images of the architectural blueprint. If you want to get into that, then the resource you're after is "Wikichip" (Anandtech is pretty much the only hardware reviewer who routinely goes into depth discussing this stuff in their articles):

Intel: Coffee Lake
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/coffee_lake

AMD: Zen
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen

For gaming the i5-8400 looks to still be the best bang for the buck.
If overclocking the 2700x, it appears a different cooler is necessary.

Anandtech is reporting the opposite which is interesting. Everyone else is reporting the opposite but it's Ian Cutress. I'd believe him over 1 or 2 reviewers, but when basically the whole community is saying different it's a toss up. I wonder what he's doing different.
97150.png

97168.png

Last edited:

For gaming the i5-8400 looks to still be the best bang for the buck.
If overclocking the 2700x, it appears a different cooler is necessary.

Anandtech is reporting the opposite which is interesting. Everyone else is reporting the opposite but it's Ian Cutress. I'd believe him over 1 or 2 reviewers, but when basically the whole community is saying different it's a toss up. I wonder what he's doing different.
97150.png

97168.png

a61ca415_c9898916_mother-of-god-super-troopers1.jpeg

At first I thought you were pimping the best benchmarks for Ryzen (to give a contrast to Cuttress) with the Civ & RotTR benchmarks since those are both CPU-scaling monster that loves more cores, but then I trotted over to see the other games benched. Ryzen is destroying Coffee Lake in Rocket League and Grand Theft Auto V, too, and barely trails in Shadow of Mordor.

The variance appears to be coming from whether or not the reviewer enabled the Spectre/Meltdown security patches protocol for the Intel processors. I don't understand why anyone would bench without those patches, anymore, but apparently Tom's Hardware did, and that's why the Anandtech review has a much better showing for the Ryzen processors:
97192.png

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0QvNzY0NTA5L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDAyLnBuZw==
This YouTube reviewer also showed GTA V winning by a significant margin with the 2700X, so I'm guessing he has the security patches installed.

• R7-2700X > i7-8700K
    • GTA V
    • Fallout 4
    • Far Cry 5
  • i7-8700K > R7-2700X
    • Project Cars 2
    • Arma 3 Apex
    • Assassin's Creed: Origins
    • Hitman
    • Battlefield 1

The i5-8400 remaining the value king is significant, but we may have a much, much, much, much, much, much, much bigger headline here.

Intel is possibly no longer the King of Gaming CPUs.

a61ca415_c9898916_mother-of-god-super-troopers1.jpeg

At first I thought you were pimping the best benchmarks for Ryzen (to give a contrast to Cuttress) with the Civ & RotTR benchmarks since those are both CPU-scaling monster that loves more cores, but then I trotted over to see the other games benched. Ryzen is destroying Coffee Lake in Rocket League and Grand Theft Auto V, too, and barely trails in Shadow of Mordor.

The variance appears to be coming from whether or not the reviewer enabled the Spectre/Meltdown security patches protocol for the Intel processors. I don't understand why anyone would bench without those patches, anymore, but apparently Tom's Hardware did, and that's why the Anandtech review has a much better showing for the Ryzen processors:
97192.png

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9XL0QvNzY0NTA5L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDAyLnBuZw==
This YouTube reviewer also showed GTA V winning by a significant margin with the 2700X, so I'm guessing he has the security patches installed.

• R7-2700X > i7-8700K
    • GTA V
    • Fallout 4
    • Far Cry 5
  • i7-8700K > R7-2700X
    • Project Cars 2
    • Arma 3 Apex
    • Assassin's Creed: Origins
    • Hitman
    • Battlefield 1

The i5-8400 remaining the value king is significant, but we may have a much, much, much, much, much, much, much bigger headline here.

Intel is possibly no longer the King of Gaming CPUs.

It's definitely an exciting time. I know spectre/meltdown patches affected performance, but i wonder if game developers optimizing for Ryzen made any difference.
It will be interesting to see how Intel hits back, they claim the next gen will address the Spectre/Meltdown issue on a hardware level.
I'm interested in seeing a different ram speed comparrison test to see if it makes as big of a difference this time around.

I haven't kept up on spectre/meltdown but I thought they were trying to patch it at an OS level.

I can say I'm happy competition is good for everyone. That being said I don't know about all the Kumbaya going on between AMD/Intel. I worry that AMD will end up on the losing end.

The reason I believe AMD doing this is to access Intel advanced manufacturing process to build their next gen. GPU. Intel doing 10nm for GPU''s an Intel is opening up their manufacturing to AMD. Nvidia got them all running into each other's arms.

@Madmick I've got a 7700k overclocked to 4.6ghz, I've been using an Hyper 212x EVO cooler and it gets up to 95-99 degrees under 100% load stress testing. What air cooler would you recommend for it? as the 212 was a good option for my i5 6600k but I don't think it's up to the task with the hotter 7700k.

@Madmick I've got a 7700k overclocked to 4.6ghz, I've been using an Hyper 212x EVO cooler and it gets up to 95-99 degrees under 100% load stress testing. What air cooler would you recommend for it? as the 212 was a good option for my i5 6600k but I don't think it's up to the task with the hotter 7700k.

You shouldn’t be hitting that high of a temp at 4.6, I was maxing out at 82 at 4.7 with a hyper212.
Try reseating and reapply thermal paste.

You shouldn’t be hitting that high of a temp at 4.6, I was maxing out at 82 at 4.7 with a hyper212.
Good catch, but don't forget the binning lottery. It's possible you just got a better CPU.
Linus Tech Tips CPU Cooler Performance Tier List (Updated 5/1/2018)
If you don't care about looks, so long as your case can house it, which it should if it can handle the Hyper 212X, and you desire to stay on air, then the Noctua NH-D15 remains king overall (cooling performance + noise low-rpm/high-rpm + build quality/durability/warranty + size / ease of installation + compatibility + servicing).

If you study the well-maintained Linus forum list above you'll see that the Noctua NH-D15, Alpenföhn Olymp, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Reeven Okeanos, Scythe Fuma, and Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme are the only air coolers to make the cut for "Tier 2".

Noctua NH-D15
zOuOTid8xzQSAY5qGI5kccImSgx8Eyq6MxJqVcDjk_IwItKKEa9gjy032K2Hope44_hHK9uvhrUN9SrpoHGg4Autcv9bkEp-rmRKSwDs_jvL7DBjNOjth6BtylkFKaRvyNEfmDOK

King of the Jungle
Noctua NH-D15

9 Strong Replacement Fan Options
(ranked from More Airflow to Less Noise)
  1. Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM (800RPM-3000RPM)
  2. Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM (500RPM-2000RPM)
  3. Thermalright TY-143 (600RPM-2500RPM)
  4. Noctua NF-A14 PWM (300RPM-1500RPM)
  5. Noctua NF-P14s Redux PWM-1500 (450RPM-1500RPM)
  6. Noctua NF-P14s Redux PWM-1200 (450RPM-1200RPM)
  7. Noctua NF-A15 PWM (300RPM-1200RPM) [Original Fans]
  8. Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B14-PS (300RPM-1200RPM)
  9. be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM BL067 (1000RPM)
Tier 1 (Air)

Price Point Winners
Low-Profile Winners
*Intel Stock Cooler is 60mm tall

Cryorig R1 Universal (Tri-Fan)
-- Beat Corsair H110 2x140mm Liquid Cooler on TechpowerUp for AIDA Max & Typical Load Temps --
nRLH-0aQp4x8-bVc546976bEadBSLfb_4zP6XMEZmGbBvpqy25yq97RniiZ_VDLay3RYl2ejKfM_4BVO13gZHTfDe4v5IzV-4_DGRxpA_haRLzaxDIUh1a7UmDBC3nurjJXbrxXw

*Additional tested fan was Cryorig XF140

Otherwise, Jefferz has quite a bit of experience with these coolers including your specific one, so I'd listen to him.

Last edited:
Good catch, but don't forget the binning lottery. It's possible you just got a better CPU.

If you don't care about looks, your case can house it (it should if it can handle the Hyper 212X), and you desire to stay on air, then the Noctua NH-D15 remains king.

installed2_small.jpg

This is the list of Tier 1 air coolers I've assembled:
Otherwise, Jefferz has quite a bit of experience with these coolers including your specific one, so I'd listen to him.

The Scythe Fuma rev B could be added to that list. From my experience with Scythe fans, I wouldn't expect them to last as long as the others. So you'd be saving a little bit up front, but it will cost them same after 2 years when you have to replace the fans.

I still couldn't 5ghz when my 7700k was cooled by a custom loop, 4.9 was tops but it never went above 65 degrees. I had to tear down my loop due to crap falling out of my fluid and I haven't gotten around to cleaning my blocks. I'm currently using the Phanteks and I'm still hitting 4.9, but temps top out at 72 degrees.
I have a Dark Rock Pro 4 on the way, I'm switching due to ram clearance issues. I had to adjust the front fan a lot for ram clearance. I'm using a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case and G Skill Trident ram, I can lightly push on the side window and touch the top fan.

@Woldog what case are you using? You might not be having a cpu cooling issue, it may be the case not supplying enough air.
What stress test are you using? I don't rely on stuff like Aida64 or Furmark, your system will never hit those load levels.

Silverstone Primera PM01
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/si...MI-Zu46fvO2gIVzQ0rCh1EuA09EAQYASABEgLEufD_BwE

2844818-a.jpg

I live in Australia the ambient room temperature is quite hot here. When playing games my 7700k usually gets to around 78-85, It was just doing some stress testing last night that it was getting to 99degree. I did the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and it passed all the tests, but on some of the full load tests it was reaching 99.

My PC has 8 fans in it, 3 at the front. 2 on the Cpu cooler, one behind and two on the top set up for the best airflow possible. I changed the thermal paste and reseated the cooler about 4 months ago, and it was running games at around 73 degree and was maxing at about 85 with the "spikes" 7700's are known for. But since the overclock it's been having spikes of up to 93 degree and during full load 100degree. So for me I think the 212 is at the end of its capacity and I may need a better cooler.

What thermal paste would you recommend because I am just using what came with the 212.

The stress tests I've used are
CPUID (Or CPUZ whatever it's called) it stays around 46 degree
Cinebench - Spikes up to 92 during CPU Render test
Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - Hits 99 Degree during full load.

I've also thought about delidding it but to be honest it seems like too much hassle to take the CPU out and take it to my local PC guy to do it for me as he provides a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
Silverstone Primera PM01
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/si...MI-Zu46fvO2gIVzQ0rCh1EuA09EAQYASABEgLEufD_BwE

2844818-a.jpg

I live in Australia the ambient room temperature is quite hot here. When playing games my 7700k usually gets to around 78-85, It was just doing some stress testing last night that it was getting to 99degree. I did the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and it passed all the tests, but on some of the full load tests it was reaching 99.

My PC has 8 fans in it, 3 at the front. 2 on the Cpu cooler, one behind and two on the top set up for the best airflow possible. I changed the thermal paste and reseated the cooler about 4 months ago, and it was running games at around 73 degree and was maxing at about 85 with the "spikes" 7700's are known for. But since the overclock it's been having spikes of up to 93 degree and during full load 100degree. So for me I think the 212 is at the end of its capacity and I may need a better cooler.

What thermal paste would you recommend because I am just using what came with the 212.

The stress tests I've used are
CPUID (Or CPUZ whatever it's called) it stays around 46 degree
Cinebench - Spikes up to 92 during CPU Render test
Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - Hits 99 Degree during full load.

If you’re hitting 73-85 during gaming, you’re fine. The spikes to 93 are concerning though, which is odd. What’s your voltage set at?
A change in thermal paste brands will drop you a degree or so, but nothing substancial.
You have 180mm of clearance so any of the coolers madmick posted should fit, double check though to make sure.

If you’re hitting 73-85 during gaming, you’re fine. The spikes to 93 are concerning though, which is odd. What’s your voltage set at?
A change in thermal paste brands will drop you a degree or so, but nothing substancial.
You have 180mm of clearance so any of the coolers madmick posted should fit, double check though to make sure.

Voltage and OC are being handled by TPU1 so I've got no idea, it's been a stable clock so far so I've stuck with it. I've never really been smart enough to manually overclock.

Though could the temps be being misread by my Asus Sabertooth S? Because I'd assume at 99 degrees it'd wanna shut down. It is only a z170 board with a z270 compatible chip in it.

Voltage and OC are being handled by TPU1 so I've got no idea, it's been a stable clock so far so I've stuck with it. I've never really been smart enough to manually overclock.

Though could the temps be being misread by my Asus Sabertooth S? Because I'd assume at 99 degrees it'd wanna shut down. It is only a z170 board with a z270 compatible chip in it.

Check your CPU voltage with HWMonitor. It shouldn't be going over 1.3v with that cooler, you can step up to 1.35v with the big boy coolers. Usually what happens with auto overclocking is it will supply 1.4v or more in short bursts to make your overclock stable. More voltage means more heat which could be causing you to see those spikes.
Your computer will still run at 99 degrees, it will just thermal throttle and slow down your computer. iirc at 105 it will shut down.
A 7700k in a z170 board won't make any difference.

Check your CPU voltage with HWMonitor. It shouldn't be going over 1.3v with that cooler, you can step up to 1.35v with the big boy coolers. Usually what happens with auto overclocking is it will supply 1.4v or more in short bursts to make your overclock stable. More voltage means more heat which could be causing you to see those spikes.
Your computer will still run at 99 degrees, it will just thermal throttle and slow down your computer. iirc at 105 it will shut down.
A 7700k in a z170 board won't make any difference.

CPU VCORE - min 0.640v Max 1.312v
IA - Min/max 1.306v
VID #0-3 - 1.315v

I've ordered a Noctua NH-d15 today as well.

CPU VCORE - min 0.640v Max 1.312v
IA - Min/max 1.306v
VID #0-3 - 1.315v

I've ordered a Noctua NH-d15 today as well.

Is that the voltage when you’re gaming?
hopefully the new cooler sorts out your issues. make sure to give us an update when you get it installed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.