I remember when I thought Carlos Condit...

I remember catching heat on another forum for picking Condit to beat DHK when they fought, the backlash from the Diaz fight and coming up short vs GSP put the nails in his careers coffin.

Dude, Condit is the man...

He’s clearly a fighter’s fighter, who—when he was at his best—was dangerous everywhere, always working for finishes, and always fun to watch (except for the Diaz fight).

He was as good as we thought he was.

He’s just past his prime. He’ll never be what he once was, but that doesn’t mean that he never was...

Don’t be so fickle and forgetful. It’s lazy and lame.

He has publicly said that he doesn't want to fight anymore but he doesn't know what else to do. It is kinda sad, it is clear he doesn't want to be in there when he is fighting

Haha, it still happened so sudden to me though... He had just avenged his loss to Kampmann, via a great knee game. This at age 29.

But since then nothing has worked out for him. It sucks.
There is a saying that fighters become old over night. One day, there is a straw that breaks the camels back and people just aren't the same anymore. There are glimmers sometimes, but it happens to everyone that sticks around long enough

...was as good as they come. Cream of the crop. I legit thought he would give Woodley big problems.

Lol, I can only admit now that I was the idiot. :(

Looks like I overestimated the guy after his fights with Rory and Hendricks, where he gave me the impression of being tough as nails and highly skilled. WHO woulda thunk!
He used to be, but he's out of his prime at this point.

Dude could have been champ imo if he had better Takedown defense.

Huge fan of the guy. It's been sad to see some of my favorite fighters- Alves, Condit, Lyoto take some tough finish losses of late. But I'll say this about Condit- I think he is/was a great fighter but with a glaring weakness. I always group him in with Pettis- very dangerous standup, very slick/dangerous bjj but the wrestling is just not up to snuff. And as we've seen time and time again if you can't avoid takedowns let alone take somebody down yourself, you are going to have a very difficult time being the top of the division.

Pettis and Condit both have been physically bullied and overpowered in there and even if they can threaten well off their back, that is not going to win a fight unless they can pull off a submission or sweep consistently.

One thing I will say though is that Condit did impress me yesterday in that he was effectively executing takedowns. He went in on some doubles and pulled them off and the thing about Condit is that he is a great top game player. I think of him as sort of like Diego (though the comparison stops quickly cause Carlos is obviously far more polished standing) but I make the comparison because I feel one of the best facets of Carlos' game and THE best facet of Diego's game is the bjj top game/ground and pound and fighting in scrambles. But he can rarely showcase it because he is not a good enough takedown artist.

I respected that he pulled off those takedowns on Cowboy and the one thing that really hurt him was that he stood up in the second when he was bleeding badly. I don't know why he did that. It looked to me as though he was just not comfortable fighting in guard at the moment and stood up looking to dive in and make something violent happen. Instead, Brazilian Cowboy upkicked him viciously and made him easy pickings for the guillotine.

Sad because Carlos definitely could have been on his way to winning that fight.

Condit's ceiling was never going to be GOAT or even a long reigning champion. He was however a top guy and one of the most exciting fighters ever IMO

Back