Do you call out chronic BSers?

I knew a guy like this. Constantly told lies upon lies. Probably the weirdest guy I ever met. He also wasn't a nice person. I'm convinced he's more than just a desperate asshole; he's mentally broken and can't help himself. When I called him out on it, he try to cover it up with more obvious lies. Decided it was just better to cut him off.

I once met another guy who claimed he was a special ops operative, works for the CIA, and speaks 9 different languages, but he wasn't supposed to tell you all that because it's super top secret.

No, but I do ask questions about the how and when to discourage such actions in future.

I have a cousin like that. He said he hunted Koala Bears in Australia with a boomerang. We told him they are protected and he said "oh I meant crocodiles". He was always saying shit like that.

I usually lead them on and goad them to tell even bigger, more elaborate lies until they paint themselves into a corner. The best liars never give up though. I had a friend who was a pathological liar. One of the last lies he told me was that he had bought a 1970 Dodge Challenger and a Cummins 6BT diesel engine to put into it. He was somehow going to fit 1,200 lbs of engine that is 10 inches longer than the biggest engine Dodge put in the car.

Depends how much mental energy i have but generally no. Most of the people who BS do it pathologically and think it's pretty transparent to most people.

I knew a guy like this. Constantly told lies upon lies. Probably the weirdest guy I ever met. He also wasn't a nice person. I'm convinced he's more than just a desperate asshole; he's mentally broken and can't help himself. When I called him out on it, he try to cover it up with more obvious lies. Decided it was just better to cut him off.

I once met another guy who claimed he was a special ops operative, works for the CIA, and speaks 9 different languages, but he wasn't supposed to tell you all that because it's super top secret.

When you’re a certain age you don’t need to call them out. I’m 36, there’s a guy at my work (mid ‘40s) that is a “former navy seal” and has won dozens of secret martial art competitions and beat an Olympic running record but the Guinness world record people weren’t there to time it that day and now he has a bum knee so he can’t do it again etc.

But I don’t have to call him out because nobody believes him. It’s not working for him in any way. People don’t like to hang out with him. I could be nice and call him out just to be like “Hey, all this BS is hurting you socially” but if you’re in your 40s still doin this shit then you ain’t changing just because someone called you out. He’d prolly just double down or if I totally backed him in a corner he’d act like he was joking. Nah, I just smile, nod, and brush him off as I walk to the nearest exit.

Last edited:
When your a certain age, you don’t need to call them out. I’m 36, there’s a guy at my work (mid ‘40s) that is a “former navy seal” and has won dozens of secret martial art competitions and beat an Olympic running record but the Guinness world record people weren’t there to time it that day and now he has a bum knee so he can’t do it again etc.

But I don’t have to call him out because nobody believes him. It’s not working for him in anyway. People don’t like to hang out with him. I could be nice and call him out just to be like “Hey, all this BS is hurting you socially” but if you’re in your 40s still doin this shit then you ain’t changing just because someone called you out. He’d prolly just double down or if I totally backed him in a corner he’d act like he was joking. Nah, I just smile, nod, and brush him off as I walk to the nearest exit.

What is it with the Navy Seal stuff?

I consider people like that to be subhuman, and I won't have them around me. If they happen to end up around me somehow spewing all their dumb shit, I'll ignore them completely - Because they are subhumans and I chose to invalidate their existence.

What is it with the Navy Seal stuff?

I don’t know. Makes me feel bad for real Navy Seals. Everyone must eye them suspiciously when they share that detail now because so many BSers fake it.

I don’t know. Makes me feel bad for real Navy Seals. Everyone must eye them suspiciously when they share that detail now because so many BSers fake it.

Nah bro, I think most people can tell a REAL seal pretty well. They have a certain vibe/presence that lets you know they could kill you 27 different ways.

I worked with a guy who was practically foaming at the mouth for you to say anything so he could one up it. You went to a party last night, he was planning on attending a wilder one that weekend. You got that hot cusomer's # that everyone wanted to bang, and she's okay but he banged hotter. If you paid a lot for gas that morning that's a shame he always pays significantly less for premium of course.

Those things don't bother me and he was very young so even less so in that case. I'm usually non-reactive but if I'm bored I will troll them by gassing them up. "No wayyyyy! You're so wild bro!"

My friend is a Naval Reserve Officer. He was a Supply Officer with EOD. He became friends with a few Frogs when he was going through class / training prior to deploying. He was at a bar with his buddies and some young sailors were nearyby hitting on some hotties. The young sailors told the women they were SEALS. The real SEALS listened for a while then had enough and gave the young Squids the chance to fess up and come clean. One kid wouldn't back down. His buddy figured out what was going on, and told his friend to let it go. The night ended with the young Squid getting his arm in a cast. When the Commands found out what happened the SEAL that inflicted the damage was cleared and the young Squid was chastised. It was a teachable moment I guess.

I just don't get it. Just to give an example of the guy I'm talking, he brought up gaming not knowing I am a HUGE gamer. He said he played Overwatch, so I asked if he played ranked.

He told me he was Diamond last season, but was 4500 SR the season before that. I immediately knew he was lying. I acted dumb and said "really? That's really high.." and he said yea, AND THEN ASKED ME WHAT RANK THAT WAS. I told him it would be grand master or even top 500. He said oh and reiterated that he was around 4500 and definitely grandmaster. He then tried to list the ranks, and got them completely wrong several times until I corrected him.

For you non gamers, this would be like one of the greatest BJJ players in the entire world, not knowing what belt they are. Or an NBA mvp not knowing what position they play.

No as I just don't care enough too and plus I don't wanna come off as sarcastic and make it awkward.

As I have come to adulthood, I have realised 90% of people talk utter bullshit or exaggerate so I take everything with a pinch of salt.

My barber for instance, great guy, someone I consider a friend but god he makes up some stories, as he is cutting my hair he will tell me how he knocked someone out or had a threesome at the weekend but his stories are all over the place, he said once, he went out to a bar on his own and woke up with two girls, I just smile and say 'Jesus, really?'

If you met him you'd know straight away that the odds of him doing that are so small you have a better chance of shagging the queen, not to mention I have been out with him many times and have never seen him even talk to a girl but I ain't gonna call him out on it.

Let people have their stories, the odds are they are filling a void and maybe feeling down secretly or like an underachiever, why make it worse?

I generally don't, but I also avoid them as much as possible.

This. I feel no need to call someone out that lives in a fantasy land.

I just don't engage with them. I feel no need to be a part of their fantasy land.

No as I just don't care enough too and plus I don't wanna come off as sarcastic and make it awkward.

As I have come to adulthood, I have realised 90% of people talk utter bullshit or exaggerate so I take everything with a pinch of salt.

My barber for instance, great guy, someone I consider a friend but god he makes up some stories, as he is cutting my hair he will tell me how he knocked someone out or had a threesome at the weekend but his stories are all over the place, he said once, he went out to a bar on his own and woke up with two girls, I just smile and say 'Jesus, really?'

If you met him you'd know straight away that the odds of him doing that are so small you have a better chance of shagging the queen, not to mention I have been out with him many times and have never seen him even talk to a girl but I ain't gonna call him out on it.

Let people have their stories, the odds are they are filling a void and maybe feeling down secretly or like an underachiever, why make it worse?

Just name your hands "girl" and you'll wake up with two every morning. Unless you've had a really really really bad night.

I work with a guy who has said hes punched through concrete walls and has 3 bookies in new York that he cleaned out.

He also steals comedians jokes as his own which I hate more

I despise this guy already. We also live near one another. It is time we served him some justice.

I don't really bother, just "oh yeah", bullshitters who get called out get so fucking defensive, I can't deal with it.

Back