Cops arrest 2 black men for no reason in Starbucks

Heuristically speaking those guys needed to be arrested.

Walk into a cafe / restaurant and you should be expecting to pull out your wallet and buy something. If you don't, don't get pissed when they ask you to leave.

Also people bringing race into this are the racists. But then again it's America. Dirty.

Except that the people that were actually there said that they weren't being unruly or rude. Nothing in the video would suggest that either, as they react pretty calmly to being arrested.

except they didn't leave the store as requested. sounds to me like they were trying to make a fucking statement.

ill be all nice when the cops get here while the phones are out, but i aint leaving the store when asked because i dont feel i have too because i have authority over the store manager apparently...

except they didn't leave the store as requested. sounds to me like they were trying to make a fucking statement.

ill be all nice when the cops get here while the phones are out, but i aint leaving the store when asked because i dont feel i have too because i have authority over the store manager apparently...

I personally would have left or bought something, but that's not what I was discussing or quoting.

The guy I quoted assumed they were "being unruly and rude" and is basing it on nothing other than their appearance. People that were there, said they were just quietly waiting for their friend. They're supposedly real estate brokers or something, but people on here have referred to them as hoodrats. I wonder why?

I personally would have left or bought something, but that's not what I was discussing or quoting.

The guy I quoted assumed they were "being unruly and rude" and is basing it on nothing other than their appearance. People that were there, said they were just quietly waiting for their friend. They're supposedly real estate brokers or something, but people on here have referred to them as hoodrats. I wonder why?

But if I am a store manager and I ask a patron to leave and they refuse...regardless of how politely they refuse my request that's acting as aggressive and unruly.

But if I am a store manager and I ask a patron to leave and they refuse...regardless of how politely they refuse my request that's acting as aggressive and unruly.

Politely refusing a request certainly is not aggressive.

aggressive
əˈɡrɛsɪv/
adjective
adjective: aggressive
ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.
"he's very uncooperative and aggressive"
synonyms: hostile, belligerent, bellicose, antagonistic, truculent;More

aggressive
əˈɡrɛsɪv/
adjective
ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.

The store manager has authority. Not the patrons. You have no right to argue. If the manager wants you gone, you leave. If you dont you are being unruly. Who fucking walks around thinking they have authority over every place they go?

aggressive
əˈɡrɛsɪv/
adjective

If you are asked to leave a restaurant and you say no, you're being hostile and aggressive. Simple as that.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with @Tiny on this one...

If you are asked to leave a restaurant and you say no, you're being hostile and aggressive. Simple as that.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with @Tiny on this one...

Hostile, maybe, but that's not the word that was being used. How is "politely refusing" aggressive? I'm just going by dictionary definitions here.

Like I said, I would have left or just bought the cheapest thing on the menu until my friend got there.

Hostile, maybe, but that's not the word that was being used. How is "politely refusing" aggressive? I'm just going by dictionary definitions here.

Like I said, I would have left or just bought the cheapest thing on the menu until my friend got there.

I consider it very aggressive to not move when asked to move by someone who has authority.

but now we are debate semantics.

It's aggressive because it is a polite and sensible request that you are not obliging to, and you are now limiting their choices to physically having to remove you (or call the cops to come and arrest you).

Last edited:
It's aggressive because it is a polite and sensible request that you are not obliging to, and you are now limiting their reducing to physically having to remove you (or call the cops to come and arrest you).

I disagree. I hope you don't find that too aggressive.

Either way, I'm going to wait until I hear the rest of the story. If they saw other people who weren't ordering and weren't being asked to leave, then I'd say they're right to not want to.

I disagree. I hope you don't find that too aggressive

Fortunately you're not in my house or workplace so it makes no difference to me.

With regards to hearing the rest of the story: I agree.

cops called to Starbucks due to two men refusing to leave, both arrested.

I fixed your thread title.

There ya go.

You don't know.

It's a none issue until you do.

All I read is a story where the manager asked two patrons to leave the store and they refused. They don't have that right. If you are asked to leave a store and you refuse I consider that a hostile act and the police need to be called because I as a manager have the right to remove you from the premises. You as a patron do not have a right to argue my authority.

Now if those two men left the store on their own as asked and investigated and noticed that the store manager wasn't asking whites that were loitering to leave...then they would have an argument I could get behind.

REFUSING TO LEAVE ONCE ASKED is the issue I have with these two attention seeking assholes. They don't own starbucks. they don't manage starbucks. they responsibility in this situation as members of society was to leave once requested to do so. failure to do that simple fucking task is aggressive and combative.

Question, wouldn't a manager legally need a delegation of authority for a manager to have the legal authority to remove anyone?

I understand that this is probably one of those 1,000's of laws we pretend don't exist, but if the law is the law, shouldn't we all have to follow whatever the law actually says?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a phone call from the owner can serve as a delegation of authority, and this hurdle would be easily cleared, but I bet they didn't actually do that.

I don't believe that Starbucks wants people to go there, just to hangout and use their bathrooms. That is your generalized opinion.

I personally have never noticed someone there that had not ordered anything. I also don't go there much, or am creepy enough to ensure everyone has purchased something.

As someone who worked at a Subway for 4 years, I would ask people to leave if they weren't buying anything. I ain't going to clean someone's poorly aimed pissed off the toilet seat, who didn't buy anything.

Why are there so many sherdog posters going into places any not buying anything to use wifi and charge phones?

Are you literally homeless? Creepers up in here.

Question, wouldn't a manager legally need a delegation of authority for a manager to have the legal authority to remove anyone?

I understand that this is probably one of those 1,000's of laws we pretend don't exist, but if the law is the law, shouldn't we all have to follow whatever the law actually says?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a phone call from the owner can serve as a delegation of authority, and this hurdle would be easily cleared, but I bet they didn't actually do that.

I don't know but I would seriously doubt the manager would require delegation of authority at time of request. I'd assume that delegation of authority is granted upon promotion to the title of manager.

God help us if everytime someone is asked to leave they would be all smart ass and demand for delegation of authority.

Someone on another forum who appears to be a Starbucks manager offered this answer to a question on loitering.

“Most of this is from the Safety, Security, and Health Resource Manual which you can find on the Portal. You can ask a disruptive customer to leave the store at any time. A disruptive customer is one who negatively impacts the Third Place environment or makes a customer, partner, or other guest feel uncomfortable. One of these instances is "Person(s) loitering or otherwise remaining on the store premise without a discernible legitimate purpose." So you are well within your rights to ask someone who is loitering to leave. To help with this, something else I got from one of our P&AP people is that Starbucks are not public property (semi-public private property is the term she used, I think) so you have the right to refuse service to anyone...just follow our policies as a CYA.”

Back