MMA has more possible skills to learn and develop than any other sport, by far.

L
Lol. Yea, that's not totally dependant on having an incredibly deep talent pool.

That the ufc doesn't have. There are intricate dynamics that could be argued for every sport. Especially sports with significantly deeper talent pools.

Mma is a c tier sport.

It's also 25 years old.

Just you wait. Unless law makers step in and ban the sport, or the public spiritually evolves and no longer wants to see violence of this level in sports, which is also a serious possibility.

Nope. I dont see anyway the pay will ever reach the level of traditional sports so mma will always get the B level athletes. On top of that, there is not enough time to specialize in these skills. Boxers for example start at such a young age. They literally have thousands and thousands of hours to master 1 skill, and that still at times isnt enough.

Mma pay is increasing and will continue to do so.. people seem not to be able to get their head around the fact that it's the youngest major sport in the world.

There are several schools that are teaching children mma at the moment.

We actually haven't seen the ability of the human brain to learn such a wide range of techniques.. we might be surprised about how much fighters of the future will be able to refine themselves across several arts.

The point is mma is a jack of all trades sport. There is no way someone is world class in all aspects if mma. Absolutely no way. The best guys are proficient in everything but a master of maybe one or two things.

I don’t think so because you can get to a very high level if you are genetically gifted without being extremely technical. It has to do with the nature of fighting, which relies more on strength, fast twitch muscle fibers, and toughness/aggression than we mma fans would sometimes like to admit. Case-in-point, many fighters such as Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar never attained a high belt in BJJ. Other fighters such as Khabib and Maia and Rousey have never obtained high level striking skills. I’ve even listened to interviews with great strikers such as Anthony Johnson, and when he starts getting asked very technical questions about his striking, he doesn’t even know the answer, because even though he’s one of the best strikers in the sport, he doesn’t fight as technical as someone like Dominic Cruz or TJ Dillashaw, he used a lot of his natural gifts to get to the top.

Yes but you're missing an essential point.

When you are able to get enough high level athletes competing against eachother, then the athleticism aspect cancels itself out.

Athletes have to become extroadinarily skilled to compete when the playing field is equaled.

Yeah MMA may not get the top 0.05 percent of athletes in the future, but we will still get very good ones.

The point is mma is a jack of all trades sport. There is no way someone is world class in all aspects if mma. Absolutely no way. The best guys are proficient in everything but a master of maybe one or two things.

Yes, the current guys are like that, but I'm talking About what's possible in the future.

If they are raised from a young age on MMA they could develop elite level refinement in both grappling and striking.

Despite it's barbaric reputation..

In many ways it makes it the most sophisticated sport, in terms of the individual athlete, and what they must develop themselves into to be successful.

The sport is still raw, but..

If MMA is legal in 20 years, it's going to be amazing what fighters are going to be able to do in the cage.. Mighty Mouse's level of skill with probably be the baseline for most divisions, while the elite fighters are going to be freakishly good.
I agree. Too much to learn.

Perhaps MMA training will be a fine tuned mix where everything is blended in mma classes rather than BJJ on Tuesdays and Muay Thai on Fridays and wrestling in high school.

I personally like the karate masters that then fill in the blanks as best they can.

Agreed. They should make an Olympic Sport for mma, so all countries can send their best mma star in all the divisions to battle out which nationality have the best fighter every 4 years. Would be nice to see a 2 time Olympic mma champion making his way in the UFC , or an undefeated UFC champion trying their hand in the mma Olympics.

I'd rather just see the best under one umbrella.

Plus there would only be a handful of competitive countries.

Maybe that’s why guys in their late 30’s and even early 40’s can still be elite in MMA.
The younger better athletes just haven’t had the years to learn what guys like Romero, Werdum, and Jacare have mastered.

I'd rather just see the best under one umbrella.

Plus there would only be a handful of competitive countries.
lol I think if ever the Olympics make a new sport in mma(and that's a really big IF) , after 10 years, we will see several world class asian fighters popping out, mostly they will be from China

GSP is not a world class wrestler, striker

But he is definately at or just about average if you were to isolate each discipline.

Clearly when all is in the mix, he is world class

Having more facets to learn does not necessarily mean it's much harder. Why do you think a lot of MMA fighters tried boxing but just couldn't cut it so they decided to do MMA instead?

To succeed in MMA you need a very strong primary skill set and enough of a secondary skill set to get by. In a pure sport you have to be good at it or you won't make it, period.

Having more facets to learn does not necessarily mean it's much harder. Why do you think a lot of MMA fighters tried boxing but just couldn't cut it so they decided to do MMA instead?

To succeed in MMA you need a very strong primary skill set and enough of a secondary skill set to get by. In a pure sport you have to be good at it or you won't make it, period.

Yes but the point is, that we have not even seen the generation of fighters who have been training from a very young age are even capable yet.

We will in years tp come start to see these kids, and then in years later, true prodigies will come along.

They will have the time to develop an encyclopedia of a skillset, if its even positive for the human brain.

I believe for some people, it is.

Back