What age is the male human athletic prime (in your opinion)?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I ask because I saw a forum member that on the UFC discussion board that said that we go rapidly downhill after 25.

Joe Rogan even said to Yoel Romero "Dude, imagine if you started fighting at 25". (Yoel made his UFC debut at 35, btw).

Guys over 25, do you feel a significant difference now than when you were younger? At what age did you feel a decline?

I just turned 30, to be honest I don't feel much different than my 20s except for a few things... Not shredded as I was before without making any effort. A little less flexible and heal a little slower (I liken it to a rubber band that takes a bit longer to bounce snap back).

However I can pretty much do the same things athletically as before.

Athletic ness - 26
Explosiveness - 28
Strength - 31

I think everyone is different but I believe people can stay in good athletic shape well into their 40s as long as they keep pushing their training. I'm 32 and I'm in far better condition then when I was 22.

I'd say the only noticible difference is experiencing certain body pains, which I've managed to all but eliminate with weight training.

If you work out a lot, 24-35. If you work out a little, 21-32. If you do not work out, 18-28.

i think in between 17 and 23, you can maintain it forward to like 30ish if you put in serious workout and diet, but its basically downhill from there

I started noticing a big drop off in recovery and increase in injuries around 36 or so. That sadly was when I was no longer running sub 5 second 40. Now you could time me with a calendar.

17-21 is for pure athleticism. I was strong as an ox and never got tired nor hurt during those years.

Nowadays, I feel like drinking WD-40 because my body creaks every time I move.

It really depends on which athletic endeavour.

Even within the same sport, weight class will change the answer.

MMA for example, heavyweights don't reach their prime until much later because strength is the primary attribute while lightweights exit their prime much earlier because reflex and speed are the first to deteriorate.

As far as average people being able to perform above average probably late 40s early 50s. Professionally probably 28 to 34

How many world records are held by 18 year olds?

Somewhere between 24 and 31/32 id say , though as someone mentioned most mortals that are not performing to their absolute peak can stay pretty platued and close to top form into the early 40s. Mid / late 40s and pretty much everyone starts declining pretty noticeably

Its hard to judge. I'm getting stronger as I get older but I'm also losing speed. I'd say 31-34 was peak athleticism for me.

I felt the best at 35. Still feel great at 39. But 35 was amazing for me.

How many world records are held by 18 year olds?

Somewhere between 24 and 31/32 id say , though as someone mentioned most mortals that are not performing to their absolute peak can stay pretty platued and close to top form into the early 40s. Mid / late 40s and pretty much everyone starts declining pretty noticeably

Is that because the 18 year old kids are not mentally mature enough or had enough time to train, or because they are not in their physical prime?

Back