Okay I'll admit it...5-round fights kinda suck.

5 round fights suck no more or less than 3 round fights. It happens. Some fights are going to suck. Because 5 round fights are typically title fights or number 1 contender fights I am more likely to sit through it given the importance of the fight and what could possibly happen in a 4th or 5th round.

Deduct %15 of purse on every round that ends. Pace would escalate, as would revenue

You can't do that because they're not paid enough. Instead whoever gets a finish gets %15 more per round that was left. No one should get pay deducted.

5 rounders also might be worse for the health of the fighters, more chances for injury and CTE etc. I know some will find that a pussy way of looking at it but another way to think about it is that maybe if top level fighters were healthier, we could see them fight more often.

Just a thought though...

True so don' have 7 rounds which I think some wanted. 5 is fine. We need less rules that would help

I hate 3 round mma fights. 5 round mma fights. I just watch so I can come to Sherdog and talk shit<{hughesimpress}>

5 is more exciting I think
you can really get into it and relax in a 5 rounder, and yeah that might mean a slow round 2 or 4
for a huge main event when it can end any second anyway, I like the possibility of 5

I'm a boxing fan, a sport where fight can go on for 12 rounds, so 5 rounds don't really bother me. Every fighter is different; for some fights, 5 rounds is a snooze-fest and it prolongs a boring decision. For other fights, 5 rounds is just enough time for a fighter to find his/her groove (if they are pacing properly) and deliver a KO/submission.

Here are all five rounders so far in 2018:

Poirier vs. Gaethje (finish)
Nurmagomedov vs. Iaquinta (decision but good fight)
Namajunas vs. Jedrzejczyk (decision but amazing fight)
Volkov vs. Werdum (finish)
Justino vs. Kunitskaya (finish)
Stephens vs. Emmett (finish)
Cerrone vs. Medeiros (finish)
Romero vs. Rockhold (finish)
Machida vs. Anders (well... alright)
Souza vs. Brunson (finish)
Miocic vs. Ngannou (decision but good fight)
Cormier vs. Özdemir (finish)
Stephens vs. Choi (finish)

Soo, can we close this silly thread already?

Edit: If you cant count, that makes 9/13 finishes and 12/13 really good fights.
The key is which fights had finishes in round 4 or 5. Of course there were a few of them, but those are the fights where you got a finish that you wouldn't have gotten with a 3-round fight. Otherwise you would've had the same result or more action if it was only 3 rounds.

Of course you want title fights to be a greater test of the fighters, have more chances for action etc...but a lot of times...5-round fights make less action because people "pace themselves." Which sucks to watch.

And I can't be the only one who's had that moment midway through the 2nd round when you realize there won't be a finish and you're stuck watching 20-more minutes of wrestlef**king or air-jabbing. Then a random judging decision and bitching on twitter.
This isnt bloodsport

5 rounders also might be worse for the health of the fighters, more chances for injury and CTE etc. I know some will find that a pussy way of looking at it but another way to think about it is that maybe if top level fighters were healthier, we could see them fight more often.

Just a thought though...
That's why Charlie Z doesn't have CTE. He only agrees to 30 seconds to 2 minute fights. When you're 160-0 (159 ko's) you can't be getting brain damage like these scrubs.

You can't do that because they're not paid enough. Instead whoever gets a finish gets %15 more per round that was left. No one should get pay deducted.

If I go to work and don't finish job often, I'm not good enough to work there and get new employment opportunity

Of course you want title fights to be a greater test of the fighters, have more chances for action etc...but a lot of times...5-round fights make less action because people "pace themselves." Which sucks to watch.

And I can't be the only one who's had that moment midway through the 2nd round when you realize there won't be a finish and you're stuck watching 20-more minutes of wrestlef**king or air-jabbing. Then a random judging decision and bitching on twitter.
Yeah Poirier Gathje paced themselves way too much.

Here are all five rounders so far in 2018:

Poirier vs. Gaethje (finish)
Nurmagomedov vs. Iaquinta (decision but good fight)
Namajunas vs. Jedrzejczyk (decision but amazing fight)
Volkov vs. Werdum (finish)
Justino vs. Kunitskaya (finish)
Stephens vs. Emmett (finish)
Cerrone vs. Medeiros (finish)
Romero vs. Rockhold (finish)
Machida vs. Anders (well... alright)
Souza vs. Brunson (finish)
Miocic vs. Ngannou (decision but good fight)
Cormier vs. Özdemir (finish)
Stephens vs. Choi (finish)

Soo, can we close this silly thread already?

Edit: If you cant count, that makes 9/13 finishes and 12/13 really good fights.
Don't bring facts into this. It's not fair to TS because he doesn't have any and you have all of them

sometimes that happens yes.

But usually in a 5 round fight you got top level athletes who have good cardio. And if theyre fighting someone with bad cardio, theyre going to push the pace to get em tired.

RDA vs Lawler.
Tony vs anyone
Max vs Anyone.
Cain vs JDS.

Back