Does anyone here think Phil Davis is a tough fight for Jon Jones

who'd win

• Total voters

UL

no more yellows
Banned
Reaction score
had they met a few years ago had Davis won against Rashad or Rumble and got that title shot

08phildavis.1327557108.0.jpg

he had the size and wrestling but his stand-up game was poor

No. Jones would keep it standing where he is much better.

He wouldn't have been able to control Jones with his wrestling and Jones would have made him pay dearly for that.

Rashad Evans v Phil Davis is one of the funniest fights of all time. The build up, and then the absolute sonning

<{cruzshake}>

I use to think Rumble was, but if Jones takes Rumble down...

Rumble will crumble

Davis doesn’t beat Jones at any point in his career.

Jones is better everywhere.

Davis doesn't have the standup to keep the fight competitive.

Last edited:
His sub game might make things more interesting as he might not have to win a decision by control across the whole fight but generally I don't see him as an especially bad matchup Rumble to me seems like potentially the worst matchup for Jones of the guys he didn't face at LHW.

Jones actually much better at shutting opponents down than he is offencive wrestling, throwing around Bonar, Vera and a Shogun with no knees doesn't make you an elite wrestler as we've seen since that point he's struggled to get high level guys down.

Last edited:
I've been saying this for years....

IMO, he matches up very well with Jones, and would give him very significant problems. Davis is really hard to hit, and his overall grappling is excellent. The fight would be very interesting.

I'm as big of a Phil fan as there is but no, Jones is a bad match. Phil's wrestling game is predicated on control, not an explosive shot. He'd struggle to get Jon down and Jones has better hands.

Jones would neutralize Davis' wrestling, easily outstrike him, and catch a good amount of Davis' telegraphed kicks for TDs of his own.

Jones cruises to a 50-45 or 50-44 dec. Credit to Phil's cardio and toughness, he'd not likely get finished.

Back