Conor mcgregor grappling workout (2013)

Depends on the context. Aldo has some of the best striking defense in MMA and has lost 3 of his last 4 fights by (T)KO despite that.

There are exceptions to every rule, and Aldo lost to guys who are taller and have more reach. Up to then he was easily handling the best the division had to offer

Even if you discount the Diaz loss he was still subbed way less than 10 years ago lol

Oh fuck, he also was submitted 8 years ago! By god, my mistake that's so much more relevant than being submitted 10 years ago!

If someone keeps losing by getting KTFO, that would be indicative of poor striking and striking defense or am I off base here?

Are they losing to superior strikers while displaying good striking in general, or are they being knocked out by people while displaying no displays of good technique?

Oh fuck, he also was submitted 8 years ago! By god, my mistake that's so much more relevant than being submitted 10 years ago!

Are they losing to superior strikers while displaying good striking in general, or are they being knocked out by people while displaying no displays of good technique?

8 is still not 10. In McGregor's case there aren't any significant displays of good technique on the ground.

I didn’t get much out of that, they were going so light and pretty slow. Would’ve been better with more rolling, too. A lot of it was just standing and playing grab-ass

<NewGina>

Love Grab-ass with Team Grabaka and some Touch-butt in the Park to top it off.

I personally don't like this training method. It seems too slow and offers no real resistance from either side. It just looks like it'd build bad habits. Maybe it works for him. He probably trains like that to protect his knees from getting tweaked in scrambles(unless this was before he fucked them up).

I tend to do a lot of rolling and situation drills at 70% resitance. I never saw the benifits of super slow light spars

I still think Conor's ground game is underrated. It failed him only once and that one time he was rocked on the feet just before. People out here acting like he's a fish out of water.
It's mostly underrated by people who know little about jiu jitsu or never grappled before.

that's the irony.

I agree that conor got much better groundgame then what keyboard warriors give him credit for.

But the Diaz fight was Diaz going with the flow. Just like both Diaz Brothers like to do
True

That was definitely some real blackbelt level shit on Nate's part though.

It's mostly underrated by people who know little about jiu jitsu or never grappled before.

that's the irony.
I just haven't seen anything special from Conor on the ground. He's a brown belt and, yeah, he rolls like a good brown belt. His ground game is good just not nearly as good as many of his peers.

Imo.

Connor is better on the ground than people give him credit for.

He is still a douchebag though.

I won't let my dislike of him as a person blind me from his skills.

A wild Shernicorn is spotted on the sherizon.

And as I already said he also reversed Diaz and escaped a guillotine, and the way Diaz submitted him is evidence of Diaz having a great ground game, not Conor having a bad one.

truth...but 'relative' skill is often what matters (e.g. Maia vs. Gunnar)

having said that, a fighter often doesn't need to bridge the gap completely with their opponents. they need to bridge it to the point that the remaining gap is not an exploitable hole in a MMA fight.

Conor doesn't need to become an elite BJJ bb or a NCAA D1 calibre wrestler...he needs to become a 'good enough' grappler to not be taken advantage of, and where his other skills can adequately compensate (which he has largely been able to do to this point).

Conor's ground game isn't good. A brown belt from Kavanaugh is a white belt in Stockton.

This was borderline touch butt. They look like they know some aspects of grappling but not others.

Conor's ground game isn't good. A brown belt from Kavanaugh is a white belt in Stockton.

This was borderline touch butt. They look like they know some aspects of grappling but not others.

Masters of North South posish

In McGregor's case there aren't any significant displays of good technique on the ground.

Conor has

- Reversed Nate and Brandao, two BJJ black belts
- Escaped a Nate guillotine
- Outscrambled Mendes and escaped his guillotine, when Mendes is a NCAA All-American and guillotines are TAM's specialty
- Mounted Holloway and Siver

To pretend Conor has never shown good grappling is silly. He's not great or anything, but he's competent.

Conor has

- Reversed Nate and Brandao, two BJJ black belts
- Escaped a Nate guillotine
- Outscrambled Mendes and escaped his guillotine, when Mendes is a NCAA All-American and guillotines are TAM's specialty
- Mounted Holloway and Siver

To pretend Conor has never shown good grappling is silly. He's not great or anything, but he's competent.

Lol

You're really just showing that you don't want to credit him with anything, rather than that he actually has as bad of a ground game as you want to paint him as having.

Back