Okay I'll admit it...5-round fights kinda suck.

Less chances of bad scores...nevermind, but 5 rounds doesnt suck, there are more fights i wished they were for 5 than the opposite.

Here are all five rounders so far in 2018:

Poirier vs. Gaethje (finish) - Yes
Nurmagomedov vs. Iaquinta (decision but good fight) - Good is pretty forgiving...entertaining though, a little.
Namajunas vs. Jedrzejczyk (decision but amazi - Yesng fight) - Yes
Volkov vs. Werdum (finish) - Yes
Justino vs. Kunitskaya (finish) - Would have been the same as 3 round fight
Stephens vs. Emmett (finish) - Would have been the same as 3 round fight
Cerrone vs. Medeiros (finish) - Would have been the same as 3 round fight
Romero vs. Rockhold (finish) - Would have been the same as 3 round fight
Machida vs. Anders (well... alright)
Souza vs. Brunson (finish) - Would have been the same as 3 round fight
Miocic vs. Ngannou (decision but good fight) - Meh, not evenly matched at all. Stylistically interesting in a buildup but the reveal isn't as intersting.
Cormier vs. Özdemir (finish) - Would have been the same as 3 round fight
Stephens vs. Choi (finish) - Would have been the same as 3 round fight

Soo, can we close this silly thread already?

Edit: If you cant count, that makes 9/13 finishes and 12/13 really good fights.

7/13 wouldn't have been impacted if it were 3 rounds.

3 of the remaining 6, imo were not "Good", of which 1 was actually "Bad".

I have nothing against 5 round fights. But I think because most play out like 3 rounders anyways and that may be a factor.

I dunno man. One of my favorite fan experiences is when 2 guys have been beating the shit out of each other for 4 rounds and touch gloves in respect before going to war for 1 last round.

On the other hand, sometimes you get a snoozefest like Wonderboy/Woodley 2...

I get what you’re saying. You rarely see something in rounds 4 and 5 that you didn’t see in the first 3 rounds. It’s usually just a repeat of the same dynamic. I remember when the UFC was first considering making all main events 5 round fights even if they weren’t for the title, and most sherdoggers were like “yeah!!” And I was like “No!!”

There are exceptions though, like Rose vs JJ 2. Those last two rounds were very important. Even in Khabib vs AI the last two round were very different from the first 2 rounds.

I'm glad that you actually blessed us by admitting this. The entire site was highly anticipating your opinion on 5 round fights.

Who are you again?

I think some people are gonna have the need to protest 5 rounders because if all fights were 3 rounders the course of MMA would be so drastically different. meaning vastly different outcomes for certain fighters on their shit list or their preferred list.

Most of the greatest fights of all time went to decision.

that's right, we need a 15min one rounder fight. lol.

I disagree. Because there’s nothing worse than a three round fight that should have gone past three rounds.

Nunes vs Shevchenko was a perfect example of that. There’s no way Nunes would have won that fight if it had even a couple minutes longer.

Shogun/Hendo happened so just stop TS.

Frankly if there's not a KO within the first minute or so we should just drop both fighters into a pit of alligators or something. I must be entertained.

If the fight lasts longer than a minute then put Stipe in there with them.

Ok what did I miss? Wasn’t there a finish in the last 5 round fight this weekend?

Here are all five rounders so far in 2018:

Poirier vs. Gaethje (finish)
Nurmagomedov vs. Iaquinta (decision but good fight)
Namajunas vs. Jedrzejczyk (decision but amazing fight)
Volkov vs. Werdum (finish)
Justino vs. Kunitskaya (finish)
Stephens vs. Emmett (finish)
Cerrone vs. Medeiros (finish)
Romero vs. Rockhold (finish)
Machida vs. Anders (well... alright)
Souza vs. Brunson (finish)
Miocic vs. Ngannou (decision but good fight)
Cormier vs. Özdemir (finish)
Stephens vs. Choi (finish)

Soo, can we close this silly thread already?

Edit: If you cant count, that makes 9/13 finishes and 12/13 really good fights.
Uh... dunno if I'd say Stipe/Fran or Nurm/Al were "really good" or even "good" fights... they were pretty forgettable imo.

But still, quality post.

Back