Did the Son of Sam really act alone? Or was he a member of a murderous Satanic cult?

Alright well lets say it is real just for argument sake

What have those journalists found in terms of answers. Is there any real psychical evidence that supports the cult theory or is it all just based on the different cars and SOS claim itself?

If you happen to have Prime, I'd recommend watching Unsolved Mysteries S1, eps 6 and 7.

But otherwise, give this article a look and it goes into some of the details:

https://unsolved.com/gallery/son-of-sam/

@shadow_priest_x

I skipped this episode, HOWEVER, I do remember watching them on reruns. There probably were a multiple people involved. If my memory serves me right, I believe one of the PI's said something in the lines, it was impossible for him to be at two locations in such a brief period of time. I'll have to rewatch it to remember it more clearly.

@shadow_priest_x

I skipped this episode, HOWEVER, I do remember watching them on reruns. There probably were a multiple people involved. If my memory serves me right, I believe one of the PI's said something in the lines, it was impossible for him to be at two locations in such a brief period of time. I'll have to rewatch it to remember it more clearly.

It's a two-part story. S1, ep. 6 and 7.

I'm surprised you skipped it. It's really interesting, I think.

Give it a watch and report back.

From the OP:

NYPD officer Richard Johnson, involved in the original investigations, has opined that unresolved discrepancies in statements from witnesses and surviving victims indicate Berkowitz did not act alone: "Why are there three [suspect] cars, five different [suspect] descriptions, different heights, different shapes, different sizes of the perpetrator? Somebody else was there."

So it seems that three different cars were described by witnesses.

I read this case in detail recently and most victims seemed to recall one car Inparticular and that was very different to Berkowitz’. I can’t remember the exact details but that’s one of the most suspicious details.

I read this case in detail recently and most victims seemed to recall one car Inparticular and that was very different to Berkowitz’. I can’t remember the exact details but that’s one of the most suspicious details.

Could it have been Adrien Brody's car?

@shadow_priest_x

He is in the movie Summer of Sam which is based on Son of Sam

They think he is the killer for the majority of the film

Its a good movie with good acting

That that Spike Lee movie?

I never did see it. Maybe I'll give it a look at some point.

I feel he acted alone. The witness discrepancies happens all the time. He also wore a wig at times. The cars were always light in color, his was yellow. There was noth8ng ritualistic about the way he killed these people...most were run up on while in cars and shot at.

Never heard this theory before, but Berkowitz did wear wigs to disguise himself. Also, the shootings happened quickly and when it was dark, so I could see how witnesses might get some details wrong. I tend not to believe fantastical stories told by deranged individuals. A social outcast taking his frustrations out on society by shooting random strangers is scary enough.

This reminds me of duo Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole (who Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is based on) claiming that they were part of some secret society Satanist group based in Florida called Hand of Death that contracted them to kill. Sounds cuckoo to me.

After many years of wandering in the wilderness with no home to speak of, Unsolved Mysteries recently landed on Amazon Prime. I was watching an episode from way back in Season 1 recently about David Berkowitz, a.k.a. the Son of Sam, and they were talking about how some evidence leads toward to the conclusion that there were multiple killers involved rather than a single gunman. (@DaleBoca, maybe you remember this ep?)

For anyone who needs a refresher on the Son of Sam case, here you go:

David Berkowitz:

David_Berkowitz.jpg

However, even early in the investigation questions were raised about whether or not he was the only person involved.

Here's the article on Unsolved Mysteries' official website about the case:

For one, police sketches based upon survivors' descriptions varied wildly:

sketches.jpg

For another, Berkowitz taunted the police with notes that seemed to indicate he may not be acting alone but was instead in league with a group of some kind:

388101c3d54a8098989e2f54a447a728.jpg

But perhaps most importantly, Berkowitz himself says that he had been a member of a Satanic cult and later said that he only performed some of the murders, not all of them.

However, even putting aside the Satanic cult theory, according to journalist John Hockenberry, from the beginning there were suspicions that Berkowitz did not act alone.

So what do you guys think? Was David Berkowitz THE Son of Sam murderer? Or was he just the fall guy who took all the blame?

His dog Lassie'd him into doing that shit.

Never heard this theory before, but Berkowitz did wear wigs to disguise himself. Also, the shootings happened quickly and when it was dark, so I could see how witnesses might get some details wrong. I tend not to believe fantastical stories told by deranged individuals. A social outcast taking his frustrations out on society by shooting random strangers is scary enough.

This reminds me of duo Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole (who Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is based on) claiming that they were part of some secret society Satanist group based in Florida called Hand of Death that contracted them to kill. Sounds cuckoo to me.

Not sure if you took a look at the unsolved.com link I posted but there's more to it than just eye witnesses not recognizing him.

There's evidence to suggest that the Carr brothers were in fact involved with a Satanic cult and we know that Berkowitz was friends with them. So you have Berkowitz stating that the murders were cult-related and that the Carr brothers were involved, and also evidence linking the Carrs with cult activity.

Then you consider that one of the Carr bros committed suicide a short time after Berkowitz's arrest, which his girlfriend believed to have been a murder. Berkowitz has agreed with this assessment, saying that Carr was killed to keep him quiet.

Consider this excerpt:

Just six months after Berkowitz was arrested, John Carr was found dead in his girlfriend’s apartment. Officer Gardner interviewed her:

“During my first interview with his live-in girlfriend at the time, she told me that he must have just taken his own life. The next day, same person, new interview, whole new story; ‘John Carr had to have been murdered. He was wanted by the police in New York for the Son of Sam killings. He was afraid for his life and I fully believe that John Carr was murdered.’”

Maury Terry said John Carr was involved in satanic rituals:

“Through interviews with Carr’s friends and police officials in North Dakota, the picture emerged that John Carr was heavily involved in satanic cult activity, both in Minot, North Dakota, and in Westchester County, New York, where he spent part of his time. It involved blood drinking, urine drinking, the ritualistic sacrifice of animals, specifically German Shepherds.”

The Satanic symbol found on the Breslin letter was also found written on Carr’s phone book. One of Carr’s acquaintances was man named Phil Falcon. According to Maury Terry, Falcon claimed he accidentally walked in on Carr and a friend performing a satanic ritual:

“Phil Falcon told us that he walked into his own house one night in North Dakota and found John Carr and another friend of Carr’s part of the circle, in the act of ritualistically sacrificing an animal right in Falcon’s house. And Phil Falcon also told us that John Carr belonged to a very, very violent satanic cult.”

So, yes, you have a crazy person like Berkowitz saying crazy shit. But the thing is, some of that crazy shit actually starts to add up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if you took a look at the unsolved.com link I posted but there's more to it than just eye witnesses not recognizing him.

There's evidence to suggest that the Carr brothers were in fact involved with a Satanic cult and we know that Berkowitz was friends with them. So you have Berkowitz stating that the murders were cult-related and that the Carr brothers were involved, and also evidence linking the Carrs with cult activity.

Then you consider that one of Carr bros committed suicide a short time after Berkowitz's arrest, which his girlfriend believed to have been a murder. Berkowitz has agreed with this assessment, saying that Carr was killed to keep him quiet.

Consider this excerpt:

So, yes, you have a crazy person like Berkowitz saying crazy shit. But the thing is, some of that crazy shit actually starts to add up.

I’ve gotta say, the Son of Sam story was always one of the more fascinating serial killer stories, and this does make it more interesting. I’ve got to do some digging and reading before jumping on board with this because I’m a natural skeptic of anything that’s as wild as this. Good find though.

I’ve gotta say, the Son of Sam story was always one of the more fascinating serial killer stories, and this does make it more interesting. I’ve got to do some digging and reading before jumping on board with this because I’m a natural skeptic of anything that’s as wild as this. Good find though.

I think it's pretty interesting for sure.

Apparently Dateline did an episode in 2004 on this question, which I'd like to see but have not yet been able to find.

It seems like the premiere text on this theory is The Ultimate Evil by Maury Terry. Here's the weird thing about that book though, apparently it was important enough that the publisher put the money and effort into putting together a second edition in 1999, but for whatever reason the book is no longer in print. If you want to buy the '99 second edition, and you want it new, then it will run you over a hundred bucks. Used you can get it for about $50.

I would like to read it so it irritates me I can't just pick it up for like $15.

Last edited by a moderator:
After many years of wandering in the wilderness with no home to speak of, Unsolved Mysteries recently landed on Amazon Prime. I was watching an episode from way back in Season 1 recently about David Berkowitz, a.k.a. the Son of Sam, and they were talking about how some evidence leads toward to the conclusion that there were multiple killers involved rather than a single gunman. (@DaleBoca, maybe you remember this ep?)

For anyone who needs a refresher on the Son of Sam case, here you go:

David Berkowitz:

David_Berkowitz.jpg

However, even early in the investigation questions were raised about whether or not he was the only person involved.

Here's the article on Unsolved Mysteries' official website about the case:

For one, police sketches based upon survivors' descriptions varied wildly:

sketches.jpg

For another, Berkowitz taunted the police with notes that seemed to indicate he may not be acting alone but was instead in league with a group of some kind:

388101c3d54a8098989e2f54a447a728.jpg

But perhaps most importantly, Berkowitz himself says that he had been a member of a Satanic cult and later said that he only performed some of the murders, not all of them.

However, even putting aside the Satanic cult theory, according to journalist John Hockenberry, from the beginning there were suspicions that Berkowitz did not act alone.

So what do you guys think? Was David Berkowitz THE Son of Sam murderer? Or was he just the fall guy who took all the blame?
It was a group of different people.

All inside Berkowitz' head.

Back