This is why leg kicks aren't really effective.

its true with some judges who dont really score leg kicks

Forrest beat Rampage for the LHW Title with leg kicks.

Leg kicks are effective but yes, they need a set up to maximize its effectiveness; a lot of people throw those as a opening strike and they get countered. Only Barboza did leg kicks Ko and i can't remember another fighter with Leg kicks ko.
Pat Barry had one TKO on leg kicks in the UFC. Aldo pretty much stopped Faber with leg kicks

Coach just being nice cuz you kick like a sherdogger

You have to have powerful leg kicks for them to be effective as the poster said. But they aren't useless. If utilized correctly you take the legs and movement from a fighter. A lot of times a fight is a marathon, 5 rounds....not a sprint. If Dustin didn't get the finish early in the 4th, who know what would have happened. Another round, plus a 5th round? His legs were mush.

stupid post.
Depends who you are fighting.
If you are facing some flat footed idiot who doesnt check kicks, destroy his legs.
If you are facing a competent,athletic guy who knows how to check kicks and counter off them?, maybe dont rely on them as much.
I think in todays sport, front kick to the body like conor throws or the snap kick to the knee are a safer move

Poirier's thigh would like to have a word with you.

They can take the speed and power out of your opponent, so no, they aren't useless.

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.

You can say the same thing about body punches, but it's dumber than dumb to claim they aren't effective.

[YouTube]

tenor.gif

They're effective when you can steal on someone with them. They're not effective when you're like Gaethje and eat 2-3 punches to the head for each leg kick you attempt.

leg kicks are really effective, gaetje needs to learn how to set up these low kicks with various techniques and movments
Yes, he really doesnt even set it up. The old jab, cross, left leg kick or cross, hook, right leg kick would have been enough to throuw Poirer off the trail in the later rounds

Maybe the coach just knew his student has lousy leg kicks and cant teach him how to improve them.

"Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter."

Everyone already knew this.

As they say "money in the bank" .

TS is talking about finishes but forgetting leg kicks are a great thing for:

Setting up other strikes to finish.

Taking out the striking power and footwork of an opponent .

Giving an opponent more to think about than just arm strikes.

Wonder if TS's coach he speaks of is a boxing coach turned mma coach? Usually these coaches ignore the kicking game, more from lack of knowledge of teaching the technique than anything else.

are they though? I don't think Joanna got any points for the leg kicks she used against Rose. Not saying she won the fight but 4 rounds to 1? :(

You obviously weren't seeing shit. She was only ripping her up with leg kicks I'm the final two rounds. She got worked for the majority of that bout.

You have to mix it up , go to the body , go high.As you said it you have to have power .Anderson Silva didn’t hurt people’s legs but his head kicks hurt , same w Jon Jones .A body kick is the most dangerous weapon IMO, especially to the liver .If you come in w kicks in the wrong time you will be open to the right hand and that’s how a lot of fighters get KOd.

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.

your coach knows u don't have good leg kicks.

Hughes renzo. K1 Hughes had the best leg kicks mma has ever seen, clearly.
They are like body shots. They add up.
Poirier absorbing 30+ leg kicks from Justin then koing him impressed the hell out of me. I woke both my kids up jumping and screaming with excitement. Mrs was pissed

I'm not going through hundreds 150+ posts but I hope to fuck somebody posted the Overeem obliterating little girl with one leg kick gif.

Back