This is why leg kicks aren't really effective.

I've previously thought that DetSamboKid might possibly be an idiot.

Now I know for sure.

Hughes renzo. K1 Hughes had the best leg kicks mma has ever seen, clearly.
They are like body shots. They add up.
Poirier absorbing 30+ leg kicks from Justin then koing him impressed the hell out of me. I woke both my kids up jumping and screaming with excitement. Mrs was pissed

At the heavier weight classes they don't just add up, clean leg kicks f*ck you up immediately.

Pat Barry had one TKO on leg kicks in the UFC. Aldo pretty much stopped Faber with leg kicks

Crocop finished Yoshida with them as well.

cro-cop-leg-kicks-yoshida-o.gif

You don’t know shit about fighting.
Interesting. Your entire premise, that leg kicks aren't "effective" because they don't usually knock someone out would suggest the same thing, about you.

Sorry I'm late. Counters become harder to land and also have less power once your legs have already taken a lot of damage. It's a good investment.

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.
No bs question

Were you using the Calf kick at the time?
How about the calf kick

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.

legkicks.png

Funny cause Muay Thai boxers mostly throw kicks at each other.

Imo the most important effect from leg kicks is limiting mobilty. If you hinder your opponents ability to move offensively and defensively, you create wider openings for more effective exchanges. Also it keeps them guessing or sets up for a head kick.
Look at lawler vs rda. Robbie was a sitting duck for the last 15mins of that fight.
Your coach knows more than i do thats for sure, but to say abandon leg kicks is just dumb. I suppose he doesnt want you to use the jab because it rarely finishes fights either?
Find a new coach.

There is so much that's wrong in that.

That's like saying "you won't ko someone with a jab, so focus on your better weapons".

It entirely looks at low kicks from the standpoint of their total amount of damage, specifically around ending fights with low kicks.

It doesn't look at the fact low kicks are a long, lengthy weapon, can disrupt pace, can punish and score points to an opponent retreating in a straight line, can be used to set up punches, etc.

Sorry bud, hard to believe a coach would say something like this. Every kickboxing/music thai I've worked with across Seattle and Vancouver place a heavy emphasis on low kicks.

The weird thing is you even say this yourself at the end of your post. So, what is your point then?

Last edited:
Feints don't finish fights!

Fighters need to stop with those bullshit feinting!

Just tell your opponent where you wanna hit and then do that!

Leg kicks can be very useful. Jon Jones uses leg kicks masterfully for example, with the way he's using them to interupt flow of movement, break balance, control reach, yada yada

Back