Okay I'll admit it...5-round fights kinda suck.

he right tho they should make it unlimited round only stop if ko ...... bonus for fatality

i almost agree but for a different reason: 25' is a very long time for fighting, it's just too much for the athletes IMHO.
like cycling: once it was more "human"suited, at some point it became something that made using peds the only way to compete.

I have to agree, even as a martial arts fan.
5 round fights too often become marathons more than fights, where the fighters are trying to preserve their stamina rather than destroy the opponent. In 3 round fights usually its a brawl from beginning to end.

Only 5 round fight I enjoyed last time was the GSP/Bisping fight. Maybe because both those guys have great endurance.

Here are all five rounders so far in 2018:

Poirier vs. Gaethje (finish)
Nurmagomedov vs. Iaquinta (decision but good fight)
Namajunas vs. Jedrzejczyk (decision but amazing fight)
Volkov vs. Werdum (finish)
Justino vs. Kunitskaya (finish)
Stephens vs. Emmett (finish)
Cerrone vs. Medeiros (finish)
Romero vs. Rockhold (finish)
Machida vs. Anders (well... alright)
Souza vs. Brunson (finish)
Miocic vs. Ngannou (decision but good fight)
Cormier vs. Özdemir (finish)
Stephens vs. Choi (finish)

Soo, can we close this silly thread already?

Edit: If you cant count, that makes 9/13 finishes and 12/13 really good fights.

[<dunn]

i like this guy

yeah cause fights like rory vs lawler are a snooze fest.
Gus/Jones
Hendo/Shogun
Maynard/Frankie II and III
Lawler/Condit
Hunt/Bigfoot
RDA/Ferguson
Frankie/Cub
Weidman/Machida
Silva/Sonnen 1
Shogun/Machida 1
Condit/Kampmann II
Mendes/Aldo II
Penn/Sanchez

Off the top of my head. And yes, some of these were four rounders, but if the format was only three rounds we would have missed some great MMA moments. 5 round format can be great.

The key is which fights had finishes in round 4 or 5. Of course there were a few of them, but those are the fights where you got a finish that you wouldn't have gotten with a 3-round fight. Otherwise you would've had the same result or more action if it was only 3 rounds.
finishes =/= excitement

Frankie/Maynard II and Jones/Gus - no finish
Mir/Cro Cop - finish

3 rounds of 10 minutes for every figth ??? {<BJPeen}

but a lot of times...5-round fights make less action because people "pace themselves." Which sucks to watch.

...a reason to appreciate how Ronda would quickly finish opponents in her title defenses.

3 round fights are just as bad. If you are 2 rounds up then most of the time you play it super safe.

Very annoying viewing.

finishes =/= excitement

True that.

For a different thread, in response to a guy who said he didn't watch WMMA fights unless he determined via fast forwarding that there was a finish, I checked for FOTNs that were decision fights, and among those that I found for WMMA in the UFC were:

Irene Aldana vs Leslie Smith went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Jo Jo Calderwood vs Cortney Casey went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Seo Hee Ham vs Cortney Casey went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Cyborg vs. Holly Holm went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Angela Hill vs Jessica Andrade went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Claudia Gadelha vs Jessica Andrade went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs Rose Namajunas went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

I expect one can find many similar examples in men's fights as well.

True that.

For a different thread, in response to a guy who said he didn't watch WMMA fights unless he determined via fast forwarding that there was a finish, I checked for FOTNs that were decision fights, and among those that I found for WMMA in the UFC were:

Irene Aldana vs Leslie Smith went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Jo Jo Calderwood vs Cortney Casey went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Seo Hee Ham vs Cortney Casey went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Cyborg vs. Holly Holm went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Angela Hill vs Jessica Andrade went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Claudia Gadelha vs Jessica Andrade went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs Rose Namajunas went to a decision, and also was awarded FOTN.

I expect one can find many similar examples in men's fights as well.
For every Conor/Siver that ends early there's a Cub/DHC that is just as satisfying.

I'm glad that you actually blessed us by admitting this. The entire site was highly anticipating your opinion on 5 round fights.

Who are you again?
Internet forums are places where people freely discuss and share their opinions about things related to specific subjects, such as in this case, mixed martial arts.

I'm glad I could introduce you to this concept.

Don't bring facts into this. It's not fair to TS because he doesn't have any and you have all of them
Actually I replied factually. Those fights only matter to the point if the finishes to the fights occurred after the third round. Since otherwise the round length was insignicant to the result. DUCY?

Actually I replied factually. Those fights only matter to the point if the finishes to the fights occurred after the third round. Since otherwise the round length was insignicant to the result. DUCY?
So what you're saying is that the length of the fight doesn't really matter in most cases?

Cause that's not what you were saying before.

Of course you want title fights to be a greater test of the fighters, have more chances for action etc...but a lot of times...5-round fights make less action because people "pace themselves." Which sucks to watch.

And I can't be the only one who's had that moment midway through the 2nd round when you realize there won't be a finish and you're stuck watching 20-more minutes of wrestlef**king or air-jabbing. Then a random judging decision and bitching on twitter.

I think it’s as much the 5 min round is the problem. I think they lead to more injuries in training camps as well.

So what you're saying is that the length of the fight doesn't really matter in most cases?

Cause that's not what you were saying before.
No, I'm saying that fights without action are unentertaining, and if a fight is going to go to a decision, prolonging it for another 10 minutes is making the product worse instead of better. It also encourages some fighters, like Johny Hendricks, to deliberately fight in a less entertaining way. If fighters go after each other and have an early finish, then the 5-round structure didn't make a difference anyway. So it's only a positive when it allows a finish or highly entertaining extra rounds but otherwise is a net negative.

Point fighters/boring wrasslers shouldn’t even be allowed in the main event, let alone, title fights. WME needs to make a change ASAP.

Or we could have 25 rounds of 1min of pure chaos...
In 1min, no time for sub or stupid "hardcore fan" stuff like that. Only pure mayhem for the Just Bleed God...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back