Movies Serious Movie Discussion

Saw tinker tailor soldier spy last night. It was good although slow moving. It was basically what i feel like being a spy would actually be like not some james bond shit. People get shot but it's more about what you say, who to trust, gathering intelligence, counter intelligence, etc. They're trying to sniff out a mole giving info to the russians or pehaps giving them (the british) false info. The whole thing plays out kinda how i expected so the mole didn't seem too dramatic but that's probably because the main character picked up on tons of clues along the way which hinted to the audience what was going on. I'd give it a solid 7/10. I'll never watch it again but it was enjoyable and i was curious the whole time.

Really I would argue that version of Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy is actually more a drama than a spy thriller, the plot details less important than the characters with the idea of the "circus" chewing up peoples lives.

Finally got around to watching Jonathan Glazer's Birth, Nicole Kidman dealing with a 10 year old child claiming to be the reincarnation of her dead husband. Actually rather reminds me of Yorgos Lanthimos minus some of the black humour which I spose might be what put people off at the time expecting something more conventional, all the paedophile talk seems rather misdirected watching it to me whilst its deliberately uncomfortable this is never pushed as a possibility. The ending was called a copout but I would argue as with Lanthimos the actual details of the plot are much less important than its effect on the characters.

Really I would argue that version of Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy is actually more a drama than a spy thriller, the plot details less important than the characters with the idea of the "circus" chewing up peoples lives.
Yeah shades of The Constant Gardener which was written when Le Carre had really gotten into those themes. I believe there is a BBC miniseries from the 70's or 80's that is considered to be an extremely faithful and god adaptation of TTSS

Ready Player One was a fun time. For probably the first half I was totally immersed (same mix of thrill and nostalgia evoked by Wreck-It-Ralph) but some weird decisions started to pile up as it came to a close and become a more generic team-action romp. Haven't quite worked out if there was a consistent statement made about escapism but it definitely felt like a celebration of gaming in general.

Also rewatched Arrival; still amazing.

Watch Prisoners and Sicario both are even better than arrival crazy talented director out-nolans nolan.

I watched A Ghost Story the other night. Hmm not sure how I feel. I would say 6/10. It was decent but kind of a derivative patchwork of much cooler movies and certain things like the ghost costume were kind of jarringly silly.

Watch Prisoners and Sicario both are even better than arrival crazy talented director out-nolans nolan.

Oh I think I'd take Arrival over both of those lol. And most definitely over Blade Runner.

I watched A Ghost Story the other night. Hmm not sure how I feel. I would say 6/10. It was decent but kind of a derivative patchwork of much cooler movies and certain things like the ghost costume were kind of jarringly silly.
Pshhhh go help yourself to some pie, boss.

Oh I think I'd take Arrival over both of those lol. And most definitely over Blade Runner.

I really do like Arrival but I don't think the acting, cinematography or tension was on the same level as Prisoners especially. Arrival had a more unique plot for sure but upon second viewing; the symbolism and story behind the scenes in Prisoners is masterful.

I'd go

9. Maelstrom
8. August 32nd on Earth
7. Polytechique
6. Prisoners
5. Enemy
4. Arrival
3. Sicario
2. Blade Runner 2049
1. Incendies

I think he's a much better director than he is a writer lul

I'd go

9. Maelstrom
8. August 32nd on Earth
7. Polytechique
6. Prisoners
5. Enemy
4. Arrival
3. Sicario
2. Blade Runner 2049
1. Incendies

Haven't seen any of the films he wrote I can't get into non-english films; dialogue and acting doesn't have the same impact when you're reading it to me.

Haven't finished Blade Runner cuz my wife got bored of it loved the visuals though.

Only seen his last three films, of those I would say Arrival > Blade Runner >>>> Sicario, didn't get on with the latter, thought the former two were excellent but a bit shy of true greatness, he gets rather too caught up in the mechanics of his plotting for me and plays it a bit safe visually sticking with tasteful minimalism.

Actually went back and watched Birth for a second time in a couple of days and honestly I think I'd have it down as one of the most underrated films since the millennium, I'd say shows much of the ability we saw un Under the Skin in arguably a more easily digested form. If anything the problem seems to me it was rather ahead of its time in style, this kind of high concept drama with prolonged closeups didn't really take off t until Black Swan 6 years later.

I think as well its even clearer on second viewing the film is much less focused on trying to sell its central concept to the viewer than it is to Kidman's reaction to it. Theres a good deal to undercut the concept though out such as "sean" telling his mother he's "not her son anymore" highlighting that he was once and indeed general childlike behaviour. Basically the story of someone failing to deal with the loss of a partner and the self delusion this can create.

Whilst the Kubrick influence is obviously very strong I think as with early Ridley Scott in a similar position its mixed with a less cynical and isolating view.

Last edited:

Only seen his last three films, of those I would say Arrival > Blade Runner >>>> Sicario, didn't get on with the latter, thought the former two were excellent but a bit shy of true greatness, he gets rather too caught up in the mechanics of his plotting for me and plays it a bit safe visually sticking with tasteful minimalism.

About Arrival; do you guys think the future is predetermined or fluid? I know in the book it was stated to be set in stone but in the film it kind of seemed like she had a choice and if you think about it, how can seeing the future be a "weapon" or useful if the end result is always the same?

About Arrival; do you guys think the future is predetermined or fluid? I know in the book it was stated to be set in stone but in the film it kind of seemed like she had a choice and if you think about it, how can seeing the future be a "weapon" or useful if the end result is always the same?

I would err toward A. It's predetermined, or B. It's not a meaningful question.

As Louise learns the alien language her perception of time as linear begins to dissolve. This seems to have the added effect of removing the linear constraints of causation within time, since the choices she experiences at variable times influence each other both in the past and in the future.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by a "fluid" future, or whether the causative influences we see in the film are exhaustive enough to evidence complete determinism, but I also don't think that's the point really.

Your basically talking two kinds of "set future" aren't you? the idea of a closed time loop and the idea of universal predetermination, that for example her character is always going to make the choices she does. Arguably the real aim of the film is actually to highlight the latter issue and indeed push the idea that "its not the destination its the journey", that your daughter is going to die young and your husband is going to leave you isn't a reason to avoid them.

If you want something more specific on the workings of such abilities maybe wait for his take on Dune? The book there goes into much more detail about mechanics and uses of such abilities.

Last edited:
I would err toward A. It's predetermined, or B. It's not a meaningful question.

As Louise learns the alien language her perception of time as linear begins to dissolve. This seems to have the added effect of removing the linear constraints of causation within time, since the choices she experiences at variable times influence each other both in the past and in the future.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by a "fluid" future, or whether the causative influences we see in the film are exhaustive enough to evidence complete determinism, but I also don't think that's the point really.
It matters to me in that she either: A) realizes that free-will does not exist and humans are prisoners to time with her tragedy being inevitable regardless of any action.
or B) She DECIDES to have the child despite her early demise because of the happiness they will both enjoy over that period.

I think the first premise is really cynical and depressing while the second is much more emotionally moving to me and says more about Amy Adams's character.

What I mean by fluid is that the future outcome is able to be influenced, what her future visions may be are possible outcomes if certain actions are followed.
EDIT:
I did find this though, at 5:00 of the video the screenwriter says that he wanted to outcome to be a choice to amy.

Last edited:
It matters to me in that she either: A) realizes that free-will does not exist and humans are prisoners to time with her tragedy being inevitable regardless of any action.
or B) She DECIDES to have the child despite her early demise because of the happiness they will both enjoy over that period.

I think the first premise is really cynical and depressing while the second is much more emotionally moving to me and says more about Amy Adams's character.

What I mean by fluid is that the future outcome is able to be influenced, what her future visions may be are possible outcomes if certain actions are followed.
EDIT:
I did find this though, at 5:00 of the video the screenwriter says that he wanted to outcome to be a choice to amy.

I think there are probably some serious philosophical differences in how we think about free will.

For example, how could your option A) above be true, from a subjective perspective? Would she have all the same experiences she did, in the same order and with the same meanings, and then just "go limp" in response to her realisation that all events are fated? That seems like a strange hypothesis to me.

Whatever she did was her choice, or in other words, her choice to have the child was inevitably influenced by her existing knowledge. How exactly she weighed her options is perhaps interesting to consider. Whether there could exist a universe where she did not make that choice, as @moreorless87 alluded to above, is another question.

I think there are probably some serious philosophical differences in how we think about free will.

For example, how could your option A) above be true, from a subjective perspective? Would she have all the same experiences she did, in the same order and with the same meanings, and then just "go limp" in response to her realisation that all events are fated? That seems like a strange hypothesis to me.

Whatever she did was her choice, or in other words, her choice to have the child was inevitably influenced by her existing knowledge. How exactly she weighed her options is perhaps interesting to consider. Whether there could exist a universe where she did not make that choice, as @moreorless87 alluded to above, is another question.
not go limp but just accepting the inevitable to me isn't as meaningful as actively choosing that path when there is an alternative one.

I'd go

9. Maelstrom
8. August 32nd on Earth
7. Polytechique
6. Prisoners
5. Enemy
4. Arrival
3. Sicario
2. Blade Runner 2049
1. Incendies

I thought Prisoners and Sicario were awesome. I think I liked Blade Runner best of all though.

I’m about to watch Arrival for the first time.

Enemy was a mixed bag for me. Jakes one of my favorite actors and he killed it, but I thought it got just a bit too abstruse for me. Interesting film for sure but not what I expected. I think I was hoping for more of a straight up thriller than a very symbolic, psychological movie. Still good though.

I think my favorite scene might be when the two Jakes meet one another and the professor realizes this meeting is a bad idea (despite being the initiator) and the actor is just going all in asking him questions with the expectation that their lives will be even more eerily similar than their identical appearances. Palpable tension there. Downright eerie without anything malevolent actually happening.

That ending shot though...

Just finished watching My Friend Dahmer. I really enjoyed the film and think it gave an interesting look into Dahmer’s upbringing. It’s a slow burn film and not much happens but it was enjoyable.

8/10

Back