Best martial arts movies

Another GREAT movie that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Shaolin Temple (2011) with Jackie Chan and Andy Lau. It also stars Fan BingBing who played as the mutant "Blink" in X-men Days of Future Past.

I like this movie not just for the action and great fighting choreography, but also the underlying message and moral of the film.

Enter the Dragon
Fist of Fury
Way of the Dragon
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Bloodsport
Best of the Best
Kickboxer
Ong Bak
The Raid
Kill Bill
Kung Fu Hustle
Fist of Legend
Once Upon a Time in China
Fearless
Five Deadly Venoms
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Rumble in the Bronx
Shaolin Temple

Almost everything that Jackie Chan did in the 70's and 80's is worth watching
Drunken Master
Police Story
Armour of God
First Strike
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Wheels on Meals
The Young Master
The Fearless Hyena
Dragon Lord
Project A
Heart of a Dragon

Pretty much all of my favorites have been mentioned. I dig the old 70s/80s Hong Kong flicks, but I really love the late 90s and early 00s stylized films like Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Iron Monkey, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, etc.

I just never thought of boxing as a martial arts...

Ha ha not only that but it has more history than many Asian styles.

Just because they don't meditate at the end of every class or put some incense under a picture before every class it doesn't mean that it has no tradition!

Wrong section.

However American Ninja series is a good popcorn,non thinking movie.
MV5BNjcxMzc5ZWQtN2Y2OS00NGNiLWE4MDYtMzAyYWJkN2YyODliXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Do you know the name of the main character ?

Just watched 'A Prayer Before Dawn'. Raw, intense, vivid. Really enjoyed it. 8/10.

One rather polarising one I'v personally always liked is Donnie Yen's Legend of the Wolf. Basically pushing under cranking(speeding up) of action to extreme levels BUT I think actually carries it off pretty well due to the kinds of shots it uses. Generally I tend to think speeded up shots look worst when your seeing wider shots of characters jumping around, there jumping and and falling down looking too rapid were as its limited mostly to closer hand movements here.

The GOAT soccer kick anyway.

here's a few I've watched recently

Japanese

Blade of the Immortal

MV5BYzIwYmJlMjktMzJiMy00YmQzLThmNWYtNWY3NGViZjc4MzYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQxNjcxNQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

91Lwmx006ZL._SL1500_.jpg

Chinese

51KeXUZgcXL._SY445_.jpg

MV5BMGJjMDQ3M2EtZjEwNi00MjNhLTljYTMtMTkxMDU2ZDczN2VkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODAwOTA4Nzc@._V1_.jpg

Korean

image0043.jpg

None of these are very realistic but I found them all highly enjoyable. War of the Arrows was pretty cool with the focus on a badass archer. The hidden sword was cool cause while it was wuxia it didn't take place in the usual period. It was set in the 1930s.

There's also the IpMan movies with Donnie Yen

About to watch Izo which is also by Takeshi Miike about a time traveling samurai who kills the fuck out of everyone and everything. Supposed to be a pretty trippy movie

My childhood was almost nothing but martial arts movies as I was balls DEEP into TKD and got free movie rentals.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a Jet Li mark

Kiss of The DragoNLn
The One
The Protector
Unleashed
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Romeo Must Die

Drunken Master is a movie every movie buff must see, even if they aren't in to kungfu.

Mr Nice Guy
Who am I?

And one last one: Gorgeous. Starring Jackie Chan. This movie is PHENOMENAL because it not only has a great story with a genuine, real life applicable moral to the story, but also probably the best fight scene I've ever seen. Seriously cant say enough about this movie.

Look up Jackie Chan vs Brad Allen if you cant be arsed to watch the full movie

Last edited:
Back