Israel Adesanya Highlights, Unparalleled Striking

He's got pretty decent striking, but nothing out of the ordinary.

And really, he's got big holes in his game to be a UFC Champion.

Whats the point you are trying to make?

I'm a big fan, but his lack of aggression disappointed me a bit against Vettori.

Should have lost decision against Marvin

Every kickboxing champ that comes into mma gets blown up as the greatest striker. It's as though mma fans have an inferiority complex. Israel has nice head movement and fluid combos. But he doesn't have much power and even a limited fighter like Vettori was getting to him with a few punches. Lets see how he looks when facing the elite.(Whittaker, Romero, and even someone like Gastelum)

MMAth tho. the mans a shell of his former self.
He might be. But has Weidman ever looked great after round 2? He still won the first round against every single guy he lost to.

Apart from the Machida fight, all his fights ended before he started to gas. Against Anderson he was starting to get stuffed.

You could make the argument that he's still the same fighter. He just got found out fast.

I firmly believe Whittaker would light Adesanya up on the feet, and if we want to talk about unparalleled striking (well, boxing skills in this instance), then Whittaker has got that too in the 185lbs division.

I seriously don't know how him vs Whittaker would go on feet alone (i.e a kickboxing-like match) but there is guy well known for primarily his striking (probably the guy most well known for it), someone who also started from a Kickboxing background as well, his name being Steven Thompson.

Remind me again how Whittaker did against him on the feet?

It's unfair that his future opponents will spam takedowns and body strikes on him.

They should stand at a parallel distance and stance and let him throw wheel kicks etc. at them.

Looked very average in the Vettori fight to me, rewatched round 1 over and over again and I could see Vettori winning it. How can you refer him as an exceptional striker when he doesn't land damaging shots.

I seriously don't know how him vs Whittaker would go on feet alone (i.e a kickboxing-like match) but there is guy well known for primarily his striking (probably the guy most well known for it), someone who also started from a Kickboxing background as well, his name being Steven Thompson.

Remind me again how Whittaker did against him on the feet?
Stephen Thompson is a completely different type of a striker than Adesanya, although that's not to say that the two don't have any parallels between them.

Even though both of them are "kickboxers", the sports they competed in and trained for couldn't have been more different in terms of the ruleset and competitive format. Thompson competed in what's called American kickboxing, which I would say is closer to traditional Karate with an influence from boxing. Adesanya on the other hand competed in actual kickboxing and from what I've seen, seems like a typical break-you-down-bit-by-bit guy who leans more onto the Muay Thai side of doing things.

Thompson is a Kempo based fighter, and I would rather compare the problems he poses on the feet to someone like Lyoto Machida. And by this, I don't mean Lyoto Machida is a kicking based fighter who throws spinning shit and sidekicks with his front leg, but rather how his game revolves around distance management and manipulation, much like Thompson's does. Another guy that I would say is way closer to Thompson stylistically than Adesanya, is Uriah Hall.

How did Hall do against Whittaker again?

Last edited:
He might be. But has Weidman ever looked great after round 2? He still won the first round against every single guy he lost to.

Apart from the Machida fight, all his fights ended before he started to gas. Against Anderson he was starting to get stuffed.

You could make the argument that he's still the same fighter. He just got found out fast.

<TheWire1>

Back