Pride vs UFC in terms of scouting and talent development.

Just watch the 2005 Middleweight GP... The Rise of Shogun...
Pride seems to have better luck in developing top tier fighters.

UFC otoh seems to be stagnating. Many of their top guys were from Pride/Strikeforce and they are in a low spot right now when big names like Shogun/Hendo are at the tail end of their careers.

Pride paid better, and they allowed the fighters to make money off of their advertisers. Plus the fan base is infinitely different. In Japan you dont hear any booing, hardly ever. However even if the fights weren't as exciting they were given applause. The Saitama Super Arena also regularly sold out minimum of 30,000 an event. Notice the numbers for Saitama. You wont get that for any UFC event, thats because they run way too many of them per month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pride_FC_events

4vqIbwB.png

I digress but... PRIDE had the GOAT posters

4d843e2d1f10a9908b4c4ba76de0942e.jpg
92e4efbc551ace4468a2f07159b12b73.jpg
Pride+10.jpg
Pride_Bushido_5_event_poster.jpg

PRIDE had real A level combat sports athletes at Heavyweight and Middleweight

Fedor - Russian National Judo team member, 4x World Combat Sambo champion

Sergei Kharitonov - 2003 Central Asian Games boxing silver medalist, 2004 Asian Championships boxing silver medalist, 2007 Russian Championship boxing silver medalist, qualified to represent Tajikistan in Olympics but chose to enter PRIDE Grand Prix instead

Werdum - multiple time BJJ world champ and multiple time ADCC champion

Mark Kerr - NCAA national champion, ADCC champion

Mark Coleman - 2nd place at Freestyle wrestling World Championships, Olympic wrestler, NCAA national champion

Tom Erikson - 2x NCAA All American wrestler, 2x NCJAA champion

Semmy Schilt - world class K1 kickboxer

Ricardo Arona - ADCC champion

Hidehiko Yoshida - Olympic Judo Gold Medalist

Naoya Ogawa - Olympic Judo Silver Medalist

Pawel Nastula - Olympic Judo Gold Medalist

Dan Henderson - Olympic Greco Roman Wrestler alternate

Josh Barnett - IBJJF No Gi World champion(after PRIDE), ADCC vet, Pancrase OW Champ, world class sub grappler

Cro Cop - World class K1 kickboxer, 40+ amateur boxing matches

Hunt - World class K1 kickboxer

Reem - world class K1 kickboxer after PRIDE, over 60 MMA fights

Ricco Rodriguez - ADCC champion

Igor Vovchanchyn - winner of 9 NHB tournaments around the world

Kazuyuki Fujita - Greco Roman wrestling National Champion, missed making Olympic team by 1 point in Olympic qualifiers, represented Japan in World Cup

Kevin Randleman - NCAA national champion

Big Nog - BJJ and judo black belt and trained with Cuban national boxing team

Lil Nog - South American champion and Brazilian Champion boxer, 3rd in Pan Am games, BJJ and judo black belt

Aleksandr Emelianenko - 3x world combat sambo champion

Look how successful Olympic wrestlers Cormier and Romero are in today's UFC at 40 years old (started MMA after 30). Werdum and Hunt are still currently top 6 UFC HWs at well over 40 years old.

I love how Bellator is bringing in all these D1 wrestlers. In a few years, they will be elite MMA fighters. UFC seems too content to sign cheap labor most of the time. They would rather have amateur WMMA fighters with 3-2 records filling up the cards. Gregor Gillespie was a NCAA champ and I predict him to rise to the top 5 at LW.

Last edited:
From my recall ufc in the early zuffa era didnt really do much to promote their undercard fighters,and the way they did was very very bland and boring. Pride didnt need to rely on the fighters past footage or record of the guys they brought in. They would just have them have a casual conversation,and maybe show them shadowboxing in the back,giving weight to the atmosphere of that particular night. There wasnt a set format but you got a sense of their personalities more,so it felt more natural and less generic.

Pride also went alot on location to where the fighters lived and trained,so that was something the ufc really didnt do that much of back then.

The first match on the card could feature a huge star,or some crazy super hw fight. Pride made it seem like everybody on the card was a star and encouraged people to show their personality.

Pride wins on terms of building superstars. It was a spectacle though so that made it easier.

I was just thinking about talent scouting and star development in different orgs over the years and came up with a list of legendary fighters from each org. I know that there are some fighters who fought in both orgs so I just put those guys in the org that they had the most fights in. For example Wand had 11 fights in the UFC and 26 fights in Pride FC so I put him in the Pride FC category. Josh Barnett has an equal amount of fights in both orgs but since he was a champ in the UFC and started there I just listed him in the UFC.

Pride started in 1997 and was bought out by the UFC in 2007 and in just 10 years they were able to cultivate a very strong list of talent and legendary fighters.

-Fedor Emelianenko
-Kazushi Sakuraba
-Rickson Gracie
-Rampage Jackson
-Mirko CroCop
-Wanderlei Silva
-Rodrigo Nogueira
-Josh Barnett
-Mark Coleman
-Mark Kerr
-Sergei Kharitonov
-Fabricio Werdum
-Shogun Rua
-Dan Henderson
-Ricardo Arona
-Little Nogueira
-Igor Vovchanchyn
-Kevin Randleman
-Allistair Overeem
-Mark Hunt
-Takanori Gomi
-Gilbert Melendez
-Renzo Gracie

The UFC have been around since 1993 and in their 23 years have also developed some incredible stars and also have a strong list of legendary fighters.

-Jon Jones
-Anderson Silva
-Conor McGregor
-Georges St. Pierre
-Chuck Liddell
-Jose Aldo
-Demetrius Johnson
-Randy Couture
-Tito Ortiz
-Tim Sylvia
-Bas Rutten
-Andrei Arlovski
-Frank Mir
-Josh Barnett
-Royce Gracie
-BJ Penn
-Frankie Edgar
-Vitor Belfort
-Stipe Miocic
-Rich Franklin
-Forrest Griffin
-Nick Diaz
-Nate Diaz
-Robbie Lawler

When looking back you see that both orgs did an an amazing job of scouting talent and and developing stars but Pride had a lot less time on the map and were operating at a time before social media and mass information sharing which means that their methods of marketing and promoting fighters were far more primitive and not nearly as effective as UFCs methods are today which had to have made it a lot harder to develop star power. Pride had less time, less promotional/marketing power and less resources and still developed some amazing talent. I mean look at this pic from 2003.

3703f067cc5125679016408eb39015f1.png

High level fighters getting paid well to fight on the worlds biggest stage. Gotta give Pride FC props for cultivating such talent 15 years ago.

Who do you think has developed more legendary fighters??

Pride and it's talent is basically a product of Japanese pro wrestling promotions.

It all goes back to Karl Gotch and Billy Robinson, who trained together in old school catch wrestling, both went their different ways in the pro wrestling world and ultimately both of them ended up in Japan training pro wrestlers.

Gotch trained Yoshiaki Fujiwara, who trained Suzuki and Funaki, who recruited and trained Ken Shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Rutten, going on to found Pancrase. Robinson would train most of the UWFI wrestlers that would go on to become Pride.

Then I don't think a lot of modern fans really understand the influence that Rings had on Pride. Pride basically swallowed up Rings, took their best fighters(Fedor, Overeem, etc), stole their ideas, then put them out of business In 2002.

The guy who founded Rings, Akira Maeda is connected to Takada, Fujiwara, and Tiger Mask. Those four guys all came out of the same dojo and basically laid the groundwork for what MMA would become. Their bidding war over Rickson Gracie would basically shape the history of MMA.

If you take away pro wrestling's direct influence on MMA history, you take away Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Suzuki, Funaki, Frank Shamrock, Bas Rutten, Sakuraba, Takada, and Fedor, plus Pancrase, Pride, Rings, and Shooto never happens.

Last edited:
Pride did it way different, as for what is better its subjective.

Pride had fighters fight 4-5, sometimes as much as 7-8 times a year, everyone vs everyone, and just seeing fighters fight in the ring is what told their stories and attracted fans.

UFC fighters have 1-2 fights a year, and UFC relies on press conferences, countdown shows and other media outlets to tell the stories of fighters.
The problem is none of that shit really makes anyone a star unless they break the rules like Nick who just skips the press conferences or Conor who attacks a bus.

Watching Wand stomp on some can does far more for his star power than a silly countdown show and I say that as someone who loves those countdown shows.

All fought in the UFC before they ever fought in Pride. 3 were even UFC HW Champions so how are they in the Pride list?

Ok Barnett is in both lists.

It was a weird time back then. Pride was the place to be and the UFC, although also a premier organization, was floundering. So the UFC was almost like a stepping stone to greener grasses at Pride.

Don’t get me wrong though, I was one of the UFC guys in the Pride vs UFC wars.

I was just thinking about talent scouting and star development in different orgs over the years and came up with a list of legendary fighters from each org. I know that there are some fighters who fought in both orgs so I just put those guys in the org that they had the most fights in. For example Wand had 11 fights in the UFC and 26 fights in Pride FC so I put him in the Pride FC category. Josh Barnett has an equal amount of fights in both orgs but since he was a champ in the UFC and started there I just listed him in the UFC.

Pride started in 1997 and was bought out by the UFC in 2007 and in just 10 years they were able to cultivate a very strong list of talent and legendary fighters.

-Fedor Emelianenko
-Kazushi Sakuraba
-Rickson Gracie
-Rampage Jackson
-Mirko CroCop
-Wanderlei Silva
-Rodrigo Nogueira
-Josh Barnett
-Mark Coleman
-Mark Kerr
-Sergei Kharitonov
-Fabricio Werdum
-Shogun Rua
-Dan Henderson
-Ricardo Arona
-Little Nogueira
-Igor Vovchanchyn
-Kevin Randleman
-Allistair Overeem
-Mark Hunt
-Takanori Gomi
-Gilbert Melendez
-Renzo Gracie

The UFC have been around since 1993 and in their 23 years have also developed some incredible stars and also have a strong list of legendary fighters.

-Jon Jones
-Anderson Silva
-Conor McGregor
-Georges St. Pierre
-Chuck Liddell
-Jose Aldo
-Demetrius Johnson
-Randy Couture
-Tito Ortiz
-Tim Sylvia
-Bas Rutten
-Andrei Arlovski
-Frank Mir
-Josh Barnett
-Royce Gracie
-BJ Penn
-Frankie Edgar
-Vitor Belfort
-Stipe Miocic
-Rich Franklin
-Forrest Griffin
-Nick Diaz
-Nate Diaz
-Robbie Lawler

When looking back you see that both orgs did an an amazing job of scouting talent and and developing stars but Pride had a lot less time on the map and were operating at a time before social media and mass information sharing which means that their methods of marketing and promoting fighters were far more primitive and not nearly as effective as UFCs methods are today which had to have made it a lot harder to develop star power. Pride had less time, less promotional/marketing power and less resources and still developed some amazing talent. I mean look at this pic from 2003.

3703f067cc5125679016408eb39015f1.png

High level fighters getting paid well to fight on the worlds biggest stage. Gotta give Pride FC props for cultivating such talent 15 years ago.

Who do you think has developed more legendary fighters??

PRIDE scouted and put all their effort into promoting their fighters, which is why nearly 90% of the fighters we see in this picture later became legends of the sport.

PRIDE was all about promoting their star athletes:

The UFC are mostly about promoting the UFC brand. This is basically a different business approach that they took, in my opinion. I'm sure the UFC can do what PRIDE did - if they wanted to.

It is a plethora of legends yet guys like Henderson, Barnett, and Silva were UFC fighters before they were PRIDE FC fighters.

The UFC were the minor league at the time when PRIDE was at its peak.

Remember when Dana had to send Chuck Liddell to compete in PRIDE?

Back