Shoveling Sand for Strength

GrapeJuiceMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So Idk if you guys are Familiar with Ngannou in the UFC. But the guy is JACKED, but not only jacked.. Just SUPER STRONG.... And Im wondering if that has to do with the fact his whole life he was shoveling sand for Hours... Not just shoveling a couple reps, He would legit do it FOR HOURS getting his strength endurance sky high.. And I bet shoveling and throwing heavy sand up onto a truck works your whole body.

Im wondering if I should get a part time job or even for free shovel sand as a workout few times a week for hours as my cardio also?? Any thoughts? I feel like it would give me real world strength and translate into MMA also??? Actually thoughts and scientific evidence on the matter??

Trent Dassouza just ICQed me and said he's working on an explanation of this. In Latin its called It's called Sandhuskey Ohithro. Rough English translation Sand Throwing... Anyway. I look forward to this.

When I was a kid(13 or 14), I had a job shoveling sand. I would be out there for 8 hours a day every weekend and it definitely is a workout.

However, I think there are so many alternatives that might be better and less time consuming. For example: chopping down a tree with an axe is one hell of a workout that has an end goal in mind. Shoveling sand would work, but I think there are better alternatives to help you build up your strength and endurance.

With that guys genetics he could live off of blunts and cheese burgers and be leaner and more jacked than almost anyone on the planet.

I think its the next phase in crossfit. Gyms will be building giant sandboxes and each crossfitter will have a weighted shovel for a most tubuler hardcore workout of shoveling.

30 Wallball burpees
30 KB swings
30 Box jumps
30 Squats
50 Shovels
400m run
X4

And you're good. We just need to give it a female name.

I think its the next phase in crossfit. Gyms will be building giant sandboxes and each crossfitter will have a weighted shovel for a most tubuler hardcore workout of shoveling.

30 Wallball burpees
30 KB swings
30 Box jumps
30 Squats
50 Shovels
400m run
X4

And you're good. We just need to give it a female name.
Sandy?

GS0jycj.gif

I've ridden BMX for more years than I haven't, and much of that time was spent in the woods stacking heavy ass Pennsylvania clay to make dirt jumps. I've spent 10+ hours mounding up lips and landings for weeks/months on end nonstop. I certainly didn't get jacked. I always ended up burning a lot of calories and got lean but didn't make much in the way of gains. If you wanna do manual labor to get "SUPER STRONG" I have bad news for you.....

You'll get stronger than the average guy but anyone that is even moderately dedicated to a well constructed strength and conditioning program is gonna beat the brakes off of you in just about any event or sport. Unless it's a sand digging contest, you might win then.

When I was a kid(13 or 14), I had a job shoveling sand. I would be out there for 8 hours a day every weekend and it definitely is a workout.

However, I think there are so many alternatives that might be better and less time consuming. For example: chopping down a tree with an axe is one hell of a workout that has an end goal in mind. Shoveling sand would work, but I think there are better alternatives to help you build up your strength and endurance.
Not liking the killing trees idea. I mean there’s enough of that in this world.

Get a part time job as a casual dock worker and get paid decent money. Really, you might as well make some money. That or any other manual labor job. One of the bad things is there is no overload to some of the manual labor jobs. I guess if you wanted to shovel and throw sandbags you could always use larger sandbags

Most manual labor will cause you to lose weight, not gain. In Naganous case his frame was already huge, the sand shoveling just leaned that frame out.

Most manual labor will cause you to lose weight, not gain. In Naganous case his frame was already huge, the sand shoveling just leaned that frame out.
Explain the SUPER STRENGTH and mass......

In that case other construction trades would be better...

I have worked essentially as a laborer in high school and college and feel like the physical work impeded dem gainz. Shoveling especially I wouldn't put on the top of the list because of the twisting nature- could cause some stress injuries over a long enough time.

Wood chopping I think is great though for sure.

In that case other construction trades would be better...
not really. Other menial labor movements would be high risk for injury if you overtrained or damage joints from impact (chopping wood, jackhammers, etc). Shoveling sand (or snow) seems ideal for a workout because its a natural motion that easily accomodates microloading.

not really. Other menial labor movements would be high risk for injury if you overtrained or damage joints from impact (chopping wood, jackhammers, etc). Shoveling sand (or snow) seems ideal for a workout because its a natural motion that easily accomodates microloading.
Farmer walk with sandbags and barrels with gravel like today I did with left over material is pretty good too and you train the legs too !

Back