PlayStation GOD OF WAR [2016, PS4]

I was sort of hoping impressions would be negative. This will literally be the first PS4 game that I've bought in like 2 years. I knew I held on to that thing for a reason (more for The Last of Us 2, but I'm still pleased about this).

I was sort of hoping impressions would be negative. This will literally be the first PS4 game that I've bought in like 2 years. I knew I held on to that thing for a reason (more for The Last of Us 2, but I'm still pleased about this).

Wait you havent bought a ps4 game in years and we're hoping not to have to buy another?

Dude, I went to the local EB games this morning to buy it...fucking sold out, tried like 4 other stores and it was also sold out. Could buy it from the PS store but I like to have physical copies.

Are the controls responsive with good feedback? Hitboxes reliable?

I haven't played any of the others in the series because the hack n slash combat didn't really appeal to me. This game looks different though.

Wait you havent bought a ps4 game in years and we're hoping not to have to buy another?
Kind of. Everything that I've wanted barring a handful of releases have started coming out on PC. Since PC games usually run better I'd typically prefer not to need a console.

It looks like it's going to take about 40 minutes to download the game over PSN. That's way faster than I expected.

Are the controls responsive with good feedback? Hitboxes reliable?

I haven't played any of the others in the series because the hack n slash combat didn't really appeal to me. This game looks different though.

Hitboxes can be a little clunky but that’s mainly due to how the combat was built. If they didn’t extend far enough you’d get slaughtered.

Hitboxes can be a little clunky but that’s mainly due to how the combat was built. If they didn’t extend far enough you’d get slaughtered.
Thanks. I had no interest in this game until I watched a stream last night. I'm pleasantly surprised at what I've seen so far.

First few hours in and loving it. While its not as good as God of War 3 it’s still a really good game. Combat system isn’t as good as previous games and it feels similar to Hunted: The Demons Forge like I expected.

Downloading it now. Had to dust off my PS4. The last exclusive I purchased and played was Berserk back in February 2017.

So is this open world or like old GoW games where its very linear?

Yeah the game is good. I'm playing on the highest difficulty, getting my ass absolutely handed to me by mob encounters, and I still played like 8 hours straight (I need to be up in 4 hours). That's a sign that something went very right. I'm astonished at how pretty the game is, especially considering that it's on a base PS4. I wonder how much nicer the game would look in HDR.

I'm playing on the 2nd highest difficult and it's damn hard, sometimes very unbalanced how you can meet enemies that can kill you with 2 hits. But with patience and well timed shielding, i'm progressing. One complain i have is the troll battles, very annoying how melee combat is simply suicide agains them, the player has to spend 20 minutes just throwing the axe.

I'm playing on the 2nd highest difficult and it's damn hard, sometimes very unbalanced how you can meet enemies that can kill you with 2 hits. But with patience and well timed shielding, i'm progressing. One complain i have is the troll battles, very annoying how melee combat is simply suicide against them, the player has to spend 20 minutes just throwing the axe.
I've been one-shot by quite a few normal enemies at this point. It can be maddening, especially considering how many hits it takes me to kill all the but the smallest enemies. For the trolls (at least the two I've fought so far), you can do melee combos if you stand behind their legs. But you have to dodge that club/pillar thing they use. Double-tap x on the opening melee swing (dodge to the left not the right), hit once with your axe, double tap to avoid the second hit, and then you should be able to land a full combo.

You have to roll dodge and not just evade (I got hit every time that I tried to simply evade).

I'm progressing just barely fast enough that I haven't given up and restarted on the next difficulty down, but some of the regular encounters are seriously taking me 45 minutes or so to get through. The only thing that keeps me going is that I eventually do find a strategy that works most of the time.

Last edited:
Wow loving it
Already hints that theres a wider world uocomming
Vid on youtube shows asian and egyptian and greek symbols on something kratos looks at
Talks of 'other realms hidden even from odin'
So yeah while weve skipped on a bit timewose from the greel era kratos may yet murder other pantheons! Horray !

So is this open world or like old GoW games where its very linear?
It’s more like Uncharted. You can venture off the main path a little bit to find extra stuff but it’s not completely open world.

Are you guys using the default control layout with the attack buttons being the R1 and 2 buttons?

Are you guys using the default control layout with the attack buttons being the R1 and 2 buttons?
Yeah, mostly cause it’s the same layout as Dark Souls, and I just beat that game.

I’m amazed at how beautiful this game looks on my base PS4 and 9 year old television.

I I am impressed so far... this god of war is literally the only reason I bought a ps4 years ago...it was in anticipation that one day we’d get this..

Let me begin by telling you guys how’s much of a gow fanboy I am..

My chocolate lab is named kratos, he is 7yrs old and can chew holes through drywall/walls ...basically he’s always wrecked shit(like Marley and me on steroids). I’m obviously going to be biased as fuck in my initial review.

Got it preorder from game stop last night , no hassle . Got to love preorder..a lot of pissed people in there couldn’t get it because the only copies they had left were pre orders accounted for.

After some update file bullshit(I hate that part of modern games) I started playing at around 10 pm .

I didn’t stop until around 3am ..
that’s gotta tell you something.. I tried the hardest mode for an hour and changed that shit..it was way to hard for my patience level.I settled on 2nd mode(forget the name) but basically one knot has above easiest (I know I’m a bitch but I really don’t got time for one hour mob sequences).

The first thing that stood out.

Kratos ability and menu option screen(codex,etc) seems way more intricate, this is definitely going to be more immersive then previous titles.

Graphics...I recently destroyed my awesome brand new 4K tv by drunken foolery. decided I wanted to play just dance with wife and daughter drunk and ended up putting a crack down the middle :( . I think the forest and character detail are awesome. Kratos looks like a strong old man and they captured this pretty well with the texture. I’m gonna hold off on full graphics judgment until I switch to better tv. It’s a lcd 50”
I used my older tv and I’m not sure what the deal is but I can barely even read the codex... I think I need to adjust those settings again because it is hard to read any text on screen...maybe I’m just getting blind in age though.

Fight mechanics are definitely simpler now.. seem kinda dull right now cause I only have like basic moves , once I got the axe throw thing down I really started to fuck shit up. But it’s really simple . It does seem clunky at times ,especially when fighting multiple enemies and trying to block/counter there attacks.

The stranger fight was epic... I was like who the fuck is this guy punching kratos through mountains and shit! I am very interested in hearing more back story. The Norse angle is badass imo ,
The stranger does looks like a random hipster from Starbucks though lol..

I’m gonna start playing now(only got 3-4 hours of sleep ,so if that’s any indication...I’m liking it a lot.

Back