After Smith/Ladd Falls Apart, UFC Pays Smith Her Show/Win Money & Opts Not to Re-Sign Her

This is how they thank her for fighting Cyborg in Brazil at 140? Bullshit

This highlights the need for a Union. Went up in weight to fight cyborg, exciting fighter, on a win streak, got cut because she didn’t want to fight an overweight fighter, which would put her at a serious disadvantage.

This is incredibly misleading. She was NOT cut. Her contract was honored in full.

Her contract was for a fight.

The fight was canceled by her own volition, and she was still subsequently paid her show and win money. She accepted the money in place of the fight. Thereby completing the contract.

You sensationalizing this "cuz feelings" does not change facts.

The fight was canceled by her own volition, and she was still subsequently paid her show and win money. She accepted the money in place of the fight. Thereby completing the contract.

You sensationalizing this "cuz feelings" does not change facts.
Her opponent failed to make the contracted weight. Voiding that contract. It feelings have nothing to do with it. I'm not even a fan of hers. But why should fighters be forced him fight outside of the contractually agreed upon weight?

It's pretty clear Smith wanted to fight her only demand was they offer to resign her for going forward, the UFC paid her 31k win bonus not to fight and kicked her out. That's the breaks when you try and buck the establishment and don't have a name to back it up. o_O what did she really expect to happen.

9-7 fighter vs 0-0 fighter and she turns the fight down due to a small weight issue. Shes lucky she even had a gig with the ufc.
I'm sure her being part of that union thing doesnt help. The fact shes a mediocre fighter who turned down a fight with a rank amateur is prob why she gets shown the door.

80% of UFC fighters are dumb: They don't know much about PR and public reception, let alone about corporate mentality or culture.

The other 15% have idiotic managers. Only about 5% of them know what they are doing.

Rule number 1: Don't speak out publicly against your company.

No exceptions

Given Invicta is owned by the UFC, I doubt that.

Possibly Bellator. But will Scott Coker, or anyone else for that matter be interested in signing someone they know is trying to organise fighters, isn't that good, is unrecognisable to most casuals, and has shown she will pull out of fights over 1 pound and some change.

Good on her, but she can't be shocked by this, or the fact that other promotions will be wary of her.

Invicta is not owned by the UFC

Smith vs Budd actually sounds interesting in bellator. Isn't Invicta owned by ufc? So not there.

No, no it is not.

Do you think the fact that she's outspoken about unionizing through Project Spearhead that they opted not to re-sign her to a new deal?

Maybe, but I think a big part in it is that she turned down the fight even though her opponent was just barely even over the limit, and even offered an extra 5k out of her own pocket to make that fight happen. Glad they don't sign "fighters" like that, there's enough fights called off as it is for injuries etc.

As expected, they don’t like that affiliation she has regarding the union. Mind as well pay her and get her out of their hair. Not like she’s valuable to the company or anything she’s best known for getting beat by cyborg
Smashing Jessamyn Duke i'd say. Ronda's buddy

Her charisma or high profile wasn't go to lead the Unionize revolution.

She was just a marginal cost benefit to the company.

Her opponent failed to make the contracted weight. Voiding that contract. It feelings have nothing to do with it. I'm not even a fan of hers. But why should fighters be forced him fight outside of the contractually agreed upon weight?
She wasn't forced to fight. Leslie was given a choice and decided to turn the fight down. And she still got paid her show AND win money. The UFC more than upheld their end of the contract.

Who cares ? She sucks and we don’t have to watch her fight

They really did us a favor by scrapping this fight

Back