First gun: 9mm vs shotgun

auger38

Will pay to check your oil
@Brown
Reaction score
Hear me out on this one, even though it might not make too much sense.

I’m going to buy a gun, I’m not in a hurry to, but I will. I’m also not much of a gun guy at this point in my life, and I’m not looking to spend too much money.

I’m issued a 9mm (beretta px4 storm) at work, though I, nor anyone else in the company’s history has ever fired a shot off while on duty. From what I understand, the px4 is a terrible gun to shoot. Our annual qualifications is as follows:

Stage 1: 25 metres, 2min. 5 rounds strong side, 2 round weak side (in between there will be a dummy round that you will have to clear properly). Five rounds kneeling, and then a tactical reload, and finally 2 rounds prone. Scoring is marksmanship

Stage 2: 15 metres, 20sec. 4 rounds standing, 4 rounds kneeling. Scoring is tactical

Stage 3: 7 metres, for facings of 2sec each. At the low ready you are off centre a slight bit. When the whistle blows you are expected to use "instictive fire". You have two seconds to shoot. As you shoot you scan and move to the opposite side. This continues until you've done it four times. Scoring is tactical

Stage 4: 5 metres, five seconds. This is called "The failure to stop drill". You have five seconds to draw and fire two rounds centre mass, and one to the head. You do this for four facings (I think..not too sure). Scoring is marksmanship.

Stage 5: 3 metres 10 seconds. One handed. You've already prepared your magazine with four rounds. In your strong hand you fire four rounds, reload with a fresh mag and fire four more rounds with your weak hand. Scorking is tactical.

My only issue is shooting at 25m (or 27ish yards). It really depends on the day. The rest of the stages I can hold my own. We get 1000 rounds to practice with yearly, which I don’t think is enough if I really want to become proficient at 25m, but still enough to not lose any accuracy between qualifications.

The px4 retails for roughly 1000$ Canadian, which is a little rich for my blood. Any recommendations on what less expensive 9mm I could buy to practice with to elevate my shooting with such a hard gun to shoot? Only thing I’m looking for is reliability.

Vs

I’ll be taking up hunting within the next year or 2, and I’m looking to buy a quality gun, also while not breaking the bank. I’ll be mainly hunting turkey/duck at first, maybe getting into deer and moose after a few years. The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 express (possibly a wingmaster) are guns that keep coming up in my searches online. Anyone recommend any other shotgun? Or one over the other?

I’ve been going back and forth over which one I should buy first, and I think finding what models I want might help with that.

I was unable to process anything past $1000 for a PX4.

Essentially:

What shitty/cheap reliable 9mm would you buy to practice with at 25m (27ish yards).

What cheap, but reliable, shotgun would you buy for mainly turkey/duck hunting?

And would you rather buy the shotgun or the handgun first?

Buy a HiPoint. They are world renowned for their cheap price and excellent Glock like quality. Ignore the bad reviews about them jamming and breaking after 50 rounds. They're a solid gun that will last you 10 years if you don't ever use it after you buy it.

When you say "at work" you mean you are a cop?

How about a Beretta 92F? It is accurate, and feels really nice in the hand.

When you say "at work" you mean you are a cop?

How about a Beretta 92F? It is accurate, and feels really nice in the hand.

Not a cop! Haha. The 92F up here is pretty pricey, but the 92S can be found for pretty cheap. Is there a big difference in quality?

I don't know the market where you are at. Look up the prices for these. The M&P is cheapest here.

Glock 19, CZ P-10c, M&P 9mm 2.0,

The M&P is the cheapest. For 100$ more I could snag the glock 19. I’ll look more into these two!

Thanks guys

I 2nd the Hipoint.

They are highly underrated and highly customizable with common items found round the house.

They are highly blingable.

You simply can't go wrong my friend:
outdoorhub-photos-the-greatest-custom-hi-point-you-should-never-shoot-2016-02-26_17-52-32.jpg

I 2nd the Hipoint.

They are highly underrated and highly customizable with common items found round the house.

outdoorhub-photos-the-greatest-custom-hi-point-you-should-never-shoot-2016-02-26_17-52-32.jpg

That even might be a little too classy for the typical hi-point owner.

Hear me out on this one, even though it might not make too much sense.

I’m going to buy a gun, I’m not in a hurry to, but I will. I’m also not much of a gun guy at this point in my life, and I’m not looking to spend too much money.

I’m issued a 9mm (beretta px4 storm) at work, though I, nor anyone else in the company’s history has ever fired a shot off while on duty. From what I understand, the px4 is a terrible gun to shoot. Our annual qualifications is as follows:

Stage 1: 25 metres, 2min. 5 rounds strong side, 2 round weak side (in between there will be a dummy round that you will have to clear properly). Five rounds kneeling, and then a tactical reload, and finally 2 rounds prone. Scoring is marksmanship

Stage 2: 15 metres, 20sec. 4 rounds standing, 4 rounds kneeling. Scoring is tactical

Stage 3: 7 metres, for facings of 2sec each. At the low ready you are off centre a slight bit. When the whistle blows you are expected to use "instictive fire". You have two seconds to shoot. As you shoot you scan and move to the opposite side. This continues until you've done it four times. Scoring is tactical

Stage 4: 5 metres, five seconds. This is called "The failure to stop drill". You have five seconds to draw and fire two rounds centre mass, and one to the head. You do this for four facings (I think..not too sure). Scoring is marksmanship.

Stage 5: 3 metres 10 seconds. One handed. You've already prepared your magazine with four rounds. In your strong hand you fire four rounds, reload with a fresh mag and fire four more rounds with your weak hand. Scorking is tactical.

My only issue is shooting at 25m (or 27ish yards). It really depends on the day. The rest of the stages I can hold my own. We get 1000 rounds to practice with yearly, which I don’t think is enough if I really want to become proficient at 25m, but still enough to not lose any accuracy between qualifications.

The px4 retails for roughly 1000$ Canadian, which is a little rich for my blood. Any recommendations on what less expensive 9mm I could buy to practice with to elevate my shooting with such a hard gun to shoot? Only thing I’m looking for is reliability.

Vs

I’ll be taking up hunting within the next year or 2, and I’m looking to buy a quality gun, also while not breaking the bank. I’ll be mainly hunting turkey/duck at first, maybe getting into deer and moose after a few years. The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 express (possibly a wingmaster) are guns that keep coming up in my searches online. Anyone recommend any other shotgun? Or one over the other?

I’ve been going back and forth over which one I should buy first, and I think finding what models I want might help with that.
You coming up on your first qually? I wouldn't worry about it, you get like 5 chances and even if you don't pass, you get sent to the Skills Enhancement Course, which is likely out of province, unless you're in Winnipeg and put on travel status, so you get paid meals, incidentals and lodging.

Buy what you like, if you can shoot a pistol well enough, I wouldn't worry about replicating the Beretta feel, off duty.

You coming up on your first qually? I wouldn't worry about it, you get like 5 chances and even if you don't pass, you get sent to the Skills Enhancement Course, which is likely out of province, unless you're in Winnipeg and put on travel status, so you get paid meals, incidentals and lodging.

Buy what you like, if you can shoot a pistol well enough, I wouldn't worry about replicating the Beretta feel, off duty.

Yep. SEC is local down here though.

Good to know about the gun thing. Everyone always says if you can shoot the px4, you can shoot anything!

Yep. SEC is local down here though.

Good to know about the gun thing. Everyone always says if you can shoot the px4, you can shoot anything!
I rag on the Px4 as much as any other, non-red hat, but it isn't that terrible, at least we've got DAO. My first restricted was a double action revolver and while the Px4 has a longer and heavier trigger, it something I was already used to. A few years ago, they did import a run of restricted, Type Ds, almost specifically for BSOs, but those are like hen's teeth. I've been kinda on the look out for a DAO 92, but it hasn't been much easier to locate.

I 2nd the Hipoint.

Don't forget cheap. So you don't feel like you wasted $150 on a weapon that may or may not break in the first week of owning.

Why not go with Taurus? they're cheap and somewhat reliable plus they have a pretty good range of licensed copies. My choice of Taurus would be

Taurus 1911
Taurus 92
Taurus TH series
Taurus Millennium G2

Glock 19
M&P 2.0 9mm
Canik
CZ if you have the cash
Baby Eagle
Jericho

Glock 19
M&P 2.0 9mm
Canik
CZ if you have the cash
Baby Eagle
Jericho

Some names keep coming back, so I’ll look into those ones first!

I hate to split hairs but I just read that handguns with a barrel less than 105mm (4.13 inches) are prohibited. Is the Glock 19 prohibited under Canadian law?
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/prohibited-prohibe-eng.htm

There appears to be a Canadian compliant G19
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/16/canadian-compliant-gen-4-glock-19/

Strange law, eh? Makes sense, since we don’t have a conceal carry permit up here though, no need for a small gun in the eyes of the law.

Back