Opinion What does a real hero look like?

A good and refreshing topic!

There are many heroes that go unnoticed and I agree that the perpetrators in general receive all the air time. A little on the more humorous side, an Australian TV team visited a suburb in Sweden and some protestors attacked them. Now, this unsung and humble hero surfaced and went pedal to the metal to save the day:

<- He appears in shining armor (permobile) at around 16 secs into the clip

rinkeby.jpg

Don't mess with Professor X

Tony K. Burris.

Medal of Honor recipient from the Korean War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_K._Burris

My grandfather served with him, survived the war, and went on to have two children, five grand children, and as of now has five great grandchildren.

He is in the final stages of a terminal condition and will pass away very soon.

A lot of great men never left Korea, and a lot of great men who made it back are going on to the next life fast. .

May we always remember the heroes of the "Forgotten War" and the sacrifice they made to protect the free and prosperous South Korea.

Salute.

Ugh. I can't find his name. I want to give some recognition, but perhaps he requested it to stay out of media to avoid the hassle

That Uber driver in 2015 with the ccw who stopped a man who was opening fire into a crowd. That could have been a massive shooting on the scale of the Pulse nightclub if not for the Uber driver willfully breaking Uber's no guns policy

Here's a huge one, right after the Florida school Shooting where cops hid outside and didn’t go in. Blaine Gaskill, a school resource officer that stopped a school shooter within seconds in Maryland

180320152225-deputy-blaine-gaskill-exlarge-169.jpg

LOL at that smirk, he like, yeh I am definitely getting laid tonight.

I won't include military since this seems to be about civilian heroes.

Welles Crowther.

0b9f87be-d295-4143-a121-b0508a767964.inline_yes

Welles Crowther was an investment banker working for Sandler O'Neill & Partners on the 104th floor of 2 World Trade Center (the south tower).

When UA Flight 175 struck the south tower, Crowther remained calm. Just minutes after the plane hit, Crowther called his mother to let her know he was okay. He then began assisting others in evacuating, at one point carrying a woman down down 17 flights of stairs, only to return to the 78th floor to continue helping others.

Crowther had made it out of the building and was running back into it with a "Jaws of Life" tool when the tower collapsed.

He was 24 years old.

A Selfless banker, thats must be a first

Homeless man saves hostage while the policemen screwed everything up

Christopher Stone was among a group of students who attempted to block a closet door where teens were hiding from alleged gunman Dimitrios Pagourtzis on Friday as he carried out the mass shooting at the school.

21c59e96a9b15ebb08eb5ed45b6e828b

Northern Ireland. 1971

British Paratrooper Michael Willetts was killed in a police station by the IRA. A man in his mid-twenties emerged from a car and threw a suitcase containing a bomb into the lobby of the station.

Willetts thrust two children and two adults into a corner and stood above them as the 30 lbs of explosives detonated, seriously injuring him.

Seven RUC officers, two British soldiers and eighteen civilians were injured in the attack. Willetts was fatally injured by a chunk of metal from a locker which had struck him in the back of the head.

As he was being removed by ambulance, he and the injured officers were jeered by local youths who screamed obscenities at them. Willetts died after two hours on the operating table.

Source- wiki

A song about it came out and was banned by BBC radio stations in an attempt to play down the violence at the time:

Saman Gunan, the Thai Navy Seal who died helping to plant the oxygen tanks used to save the group of kids trapped in a cave in Thailand.

cdcc57a7-6183-4aad-b571-c929377a2fae

4Mjmhv0.jpg

Unnamed soldiers fighting the communist until the very end.
Not some cold ''fighting'' in a cold war like cowards do.
0Q0Jlj5.png

my friend's brother, a guy who was ahead of us by one year in high school.

he was a rookie firefighter only about 3 months in, & rushed to the Towers that day

masthead_02.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-02-27%2Bat%2B16.17.30.png

Sweden made a statue of that same woman.

davarande-expressen-fotografen

Astrid Lindgren. And yes, she did have a serious talk with him.

Back