First gun: 9mm vs shotgun

There are 19s and even 26s with compliant barrels in Canada, but they cost more than a 17. IMO, not much point in getting something smaller than a 17, unless you really, really want one.

Buy a Glock 17 or M&P 9mm, both are popular enough that you'll have lots of support when something needs replacing.

If you're really that paranoid about shooting your duty gun, but can't schedule a shoot, buy a 9mm laser trainer and ask your Supt if you can bring your gun home for dry fire practice and practice on a light switch or pin a target up to your wall. It doesn't replace shooting, but it lets you pull your own trigger in a more meaningful way.

Last edited:
There are 19s and even 26s with compliant barrels in Canada, but they cost more than a 17. IMO, not much point in getting something smaller than a 17, unless you really, really want one.

Buy a Glock 17 or M&P 9mm, both are popular enough that you'll have lots of support when something needs replacing.

If you're really that paranoid about shooting your duty gun, but can't schedule a shoot, buy a 9mm laser trainer and ask your Supt if you can bring your gun home for dry fire practice and practice on a light switch or pin a target up to your wall. It doesn't replace shooting, but it lets you pull your own trigger in a more meaningful way.

Laser trainer. That’s genius! I’d never heard of it until now. I’ll ask my Supts tomorrow about that possibility. Thanks for your help.

How much does a PPQ cost in commiestan?

Just checked and it’s 800$ at most online shops.

M&P is a good gun. If it is the best for the price get it. I carry one on and off duty, the full size and 9c respectively. As for shotguns an 870 wingmaster with adjustable choke tubes is your best bet for bird hunting. The mossbergs are generally more geared for defensive use, unless you get one of the combos with 2 separate barrels.

M&P is a good gun. If it is the best for the price get it. I carry one on and off duty, the full size and 9c respectively. As for shotguns an 870 wingmaster with adjustable choke tubes is your best bet for bird hunting. The mossbergs are generally more geared for defensive use, unless you get one of the combos with 2 separate barrels.

M&P is getting a lot of votes. I’ll be heading over to a range soon, about an hour from here, to try it and a glock out, see which one I like better.

Thank you for the advice on the shotguns. Good to know about the chokes and the combo!

I would get the Mossberg 500 first out. The learning curve will be less for you and any family member that might have to use it as well.

In the states, quality budget 9mm’s are the Canik offerings, the Ruger Security 9, and the S&W SD9VE. Those can be had for the high 200’s and low 300’s.

Up from those would be your M&P’s by S&W and your Glocks, which are your mid 300’s to mid 400’s.

Doesn’t Canada have access to the Grizzly pump gun?
5D762C19-D281-45EC-9960-7FC1A79FA622.jpeg

I would get the Mossberg 500 first out. The learning curve will be less for you and any family member that might have to use it as well.

In the states, quality budget 9mm’s are the Canik offerings, the Ruger Security 9, and the S&W SD9VE. Those can be had for the high 200’s and low 300’s.

Up from those would be your M&P’s by S&W and your Glocks, which are your mid 300’s to mid 400’s.

Doesn’t Canada have access to the Grizzly pump gun?
View attachment 373409
Yeah, but no one actually hunts with one. It's a gimmick, just one of the few things that we use to tease Americans, alongside cheap Chinese M14s and SVTs.

It's a gimmick, just one of the few things that we use to tease Americans

<LikeReally5>

Don’t be a tease.

Seriously though, Mossberg just introduced magazine fed pump actions as well that have full length barrels.

I think you need an extended barrel for the g19 in Canada so I’d just get a g17 if I were you.

My qualification course for work is al done with 375HH and 12g.

Back