Fasting and Metabolism

USA!USA!

Country Over Party
@Silver
Reaction score
Question for the experts out there:

Does fasting indeed kill your metabolism?

e.g. 16+ hour fasting between dinner at night and lunch the next day

I've heard this a rumor for a long time, however I'm not sure I believe it. I've lost weight and felt fine fasting and eating well for the meals I do take.

Thanks for the article

when does "early starvation" usually kick in?

Oh I meant fasting up to 16 hours, that won't affect your metabolic rate, you won't even run thru your liver glycogen stores in that amount of time, unless you train like a mad man when fasting I wouldn't worry about any catabolic effect on your muscles.

Oh I meant fasting up to 16 hours, that won't affect your metabolic rate, you won't even run thru your liver glycogen stores in that amount of time, unless you train like a mad man when fasting I wouldn't worry about any catabolic effect on your muscles.

Thanks - you seem to know a lot about this topic.

Do you have a recommendation as far as fasting correctly and safely?

Thanks - you seem to know a lot about this topic.

Do you have a recommendation as far as fasting correctly and safely?

Oh I don't really fast anymore but when I did I used to consume a lot of caffeine and ginger tea, didn't really approach it scientifically to be honest, although caffeine and ginger do raise your metabolism and suppress hunger a bit, especially ginger is noticeably thermogenic and it revs you up.

I was going to say that cross country skiers can go through glycogen stores in as little as 90 minutes but then I read the quote in your .sig. Wow. LOL -- that's hilarious. Rogan is such an asshat. Of all of the bro' science he pushes, the biggest crock of shit you will hear on his show is the stem cell stuff. It's absolutely snake oil.

Question for the experts out there:

Does fasting indeed kill your metabolism?

e.g. 16+ hour fasting between dinner at night and lunch the next day

I've heard this a rumor for a long time, however I'm not sure I believe it. I've lost weight and felt fine fasting and eating well for the meals I do take.
In a nutshell, it's all about not eating food, because food is poison. This is the mentality you have to have when shopping at your local food market. All food is poison. Repeat this and you'll boost your mestabolisium very quickly.
tumblr_mbwk7sxO3W1qexzfzo1_400.gif

In a nutshell, it's all about not eating food, because food is poison. This is the mentality you have to have when shopping at your local food market. All food is poison. Repeat this and you'll boost your mestabolisium very quickly.
tumblr_mbwk7sxO3W1qexzfzo1_400.gif

Thanks, man.

After listening to GSP rave about the health effects of fasting and restricted time eating on Rogan's podcast, I'm going to research this and this Dr. Fung.

There's a 1 hr 9 min YouTube vid of Dr. Fung being interviewed talking about this and debunking bullshit. I watched 10 min so far.

Last edited:
After listening to GSP rave about the health effects of fasting and restricted time eating on Rogan's podcast, I'm going to research this and this Dr. Fung.

There's a 1 hr 9 min YouTube vid of Dr. Fung being interviewed talking about this and debunking bullshit. I watched 10 min so far.
Can you please upload the video to this thread?

Can you please upload the video to this thread?

I'm trying to fast right now... after having a chicken sandwich, frozen yogurt, tiny bit of rotisserie chicken, banana. Am resisting the urge to have some tortilla chips as a snack. Maybe it'll be a 16 hr fast for now.

I'm trying to fast right now... after having a chicken sandwich, frozen yogurt, tiny bit of rotisserie chicken, banana. Am resisting the urge to have some tortilla chips as a snack. Maybe it'll be a 16 hr fast for now.

Watching as well, thanks

I just fasted like around 17 hrs and wasn't that hungry. Basically early dinner, late brunch. I checked an old recent GSP article and he fasts 24 hrs and 48 hrs once a week.

The interesting thing from the Dr. Fung video is the thing about 24-48 fast to get whatever the state is where the body starts burning wherever junk protein lying around like the Alzheimers brain protein build up because the whatever body's protein sensor detects no protein intake for a while. I'd rather try fasting than eat fat like ketogenic diet.

I think a 15 hr daily fast is doable with just early dinner and no night snacking, which I read somewhere was recommended anyway. A 48 hr fast sounds insane.

I got a few lipomas I'm hoping will get burned via fasting. The doctor mentioned people saying their skintags fell off maybe due to protein being consumed/converted for energy or whatever other protein needs that have priority.

GSP discussed his fasting practice on JRE.

Some of my colleagues rave about fasting and 2 of them fast up to 3 or 4 days from time to time. They say the first 24 hours are hard but after the first 24 hours they don't feel hungry and actually feel very good. During that process they lose a lot of fat and then when they stop they have to slowly get used to eating again with light meals. They say really good things about it.

After 2 days of overnight 17 hr fasts, lost 2 lbs and taking a dump twice a day just in case not by preference. Wasn't really hungry after 17 hrs and could have gone longer.

Before, if I missed a meal or ate later than normal, just thinking about it would make me hungry.

I've been doing IF (around 14-16hrs usually) for around 7 years now, but it's not until I implemented a 24hrs fast once or twice a week around 18 months ago that I saw drastic changes in bodyfat.

I just checked my log and I've fasted 95 days (24hrs) since beginning of February 2017, so about 1 day every 5 days.

I'll try a 2-4 days fast during summer when I'm a bit less busy at work to see how it goes.

BTW I train early morning (7AM, 3-6 times a week) on an empty stomach and don't eat sometimes until 7-8PM, I don't feel weak or dizzy or anything like that.

Ramadan, i am fasting for more than 2 weeks now. After sunset i only eat 3 dates, 1 egg, vegetables, fruit and a little bit meat. So no pastas , potato and rice. i only drink max 2 liters water. 5 Hours later i eat my oats, 120gram thats it! Fast for 17 hours a day.
deadlifts are strong and i lost 4kg in 2 weeks.

I haven't lost any further weight after 3rd day of 17 hr overnight fast. Haven't been pigging out either.

Back