Do you still recommend starting strength?

HIMBOB

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Been a while since I've done any lifting and going to get back into it.

Had some success with starting strength years ago and am wondering if you all still recommend it or is there something better?

If SS is still the favourite any tips or links on working out what weights I should start with for each lift?

Thanks.

Doubt it's the favourite around here.
Linear progression seems like a pretty valid strategy though, not that I've ever really tried it. Jumped straight into block training myself.
I've watched quite a lot of good podcasts on Starting Strength's youtube channel, and Barbell Logic, where they talk about how they adapt the programming once they reach the end of LP. Seems perfectly doable, though people might have trouble at the intermediate and above levels without a coach to guide them.

any tips or links on working out what weights I should start with for each lift?

Uh, choose a weight and see if you can do 3x5 with it? If you can do it, add 5 pounds next workout, and continue doing this until you can no longer do 3x5.
Other than that, I guess you could do a 1 rep max and then, based on that weight, use an online calculator to determine what you ought to be able to do five reps with.
But obviously, you don't have to hit the exact right weight your first workout. If it is too light, you'll keep adding weight every workout until it isn't. That's basically the idea.

Last edited:
Hard to say where to start. If you're weak and in it for the long run why not do something like 1 plate BP, 2 Plate Squat, 3 plate DL, 95 OHP, and 115 BOR? Gives you nice, round starting points.

go 3x5 until you can't then start manipulating the reps and sets. But grease the groove with LP first. Can't go wrong if you're honest with it.

I think SS is pretty good. I've used some version of it, and do off and on. I think unless you plan to compete in PL, starting strength will get you where you need to be. Start with the Novice, then move into the intermediate that has power cleans and chins. You can google to find the templates. I've made progress on several types of programs/splits, but I think if you are doing BJJ, starting strength is as basic and good as you need. What's your age/weight?

If I started lifting today with my current knowledge, I definitely wouldn't do starting strength.

For a person who has no knowledge and no access to a good professional or mentor, starting strength is a good resource compared to what else is available out there, though.

Been a while since I've done any lifting and going to get back into it.

Had some success with starting strength years ago and am wondering if you all still recommend it or is there something better?

If SS is still the favourite any tips or links on working out what weights I should start with for each lift?

Thanks.
It's decent, but could be better.

I think SS is pretty good. I've used some version of it, and do off and on. I think unless you plan to compete in PL, starting strength will get you where you need to be. Start with the Novice, then move into the intermediate that has power cleans and chins. You can google to find the templates. I've made progress on several types of programs/splits, but I think if you are doing BJJ, starting strength is as basic and good as you need. What's your age/weight?

37, 198 pounds, 6'2".

Got a kid and another due in a week.

Just want to get fit again, no desire for big numbers or anything like that, this is health based.

I miss doing BJJ and am thinking SS works well as it's very doable in my lunch break.

If you have access to google or a decent trainer, no. Its meh ultimately. Most people i know need more volume, especially with rippetoe just saying to drink a gallon of milk while beginning the program at 50% of 1rm. I havent used it for anyone in a long time and gotten better and quicker results without it comparitively.

Hard to say where to start. If you're weak and in it for the long run why not do something like 1 plate BP, 2 Plate Squat, 3 plate DL, 95 OHP, and 115 BOR? Gives you nice, round starting points.

go 3x5 until you can't then start manipulating the reps and sets. But grease the groove with LP first. Can't go wrong if you're honest with it.

What is LP?

Leg press?

The natural progression should be SS->5/3/1->Conjugate

just do the SS program for the few months that it will work and this will take care of your general health....any lifting past that level is not really for general health

Depends on what exactly we’re talking about. If by starting strength we’re talking about Mark Rippetoe’s specific program, then definitely not. If we’re talking about the general concept that there’s a requisite level of strength, the achievement of which should be anyone’s first order of business - well I think that’s highly valid.

Was thinking about this in the gym this morning as I watched one of the trainers make this very out of shape middle aged woman do Turkish get ups with 2 lb weights. Struck me as a waste of time. She should be on the leg press machine or the pull down machine or the bench with as much weight as she could safely handle and should build from there for at least the first year.

I hated 5/3/1 when I did it, but it's so popular on here it makes me second guess myself. You think it is superior to Madcow?

~DaViD~
5/3/1 added 110lbs to my squat, 90lbs to my deadlift and 120lbs to my bench press. I did a variant of the Triumvirate where you do the main exercise and then 2 accessories, I typically did 3-4 accessory exercises. I also did it with 100% of my max, not that 90% shit. If I only hit 1 on my 1+ day, shit happens

It's been cliche to say, but it's true, you can get strong on just about any program, at least as a novice to intermediate. I did the whole Brawn, Beyond Brawn, to SS, to Stronglifts all of them, but prior to my power lifting comp, I did the Russian 9 week program, and it worked.

I'm in my late 40s now and I recommend older BJJers simply do the basics and practice BJJ or Judo 2-3 times a week. Vary it up throughout the year to avoid boredom if anything. I go thru periods of just trap bar, instead of squat/dead...and periods of just Squat, Overhead Press, Deads (overhead press is more functional than bench).

Some dudes in my gym do nothing but kettleballs and pushups and that feel as strong as anyone when we are grip fighting. Congrats on the new baby...I have a tribe myself.

Keep us posted.

5/3/1 added 110lbs to my squat, 90lbs to my deadlift and 120lbs to my bench press. I did a variant of the Triumvirate where you do the main exercise and then 2 accessories, I typically did 3-4 accessory exercises. I also did it with 100% of my max, not that 90% shit. If I only hit 1 on my 1+ day, shit happens

I never did 5/3/1, should check it out. Have heard mixed reviews. Did you ever do the "Cube" method or whatever it was called.

Back