Official Judo Thread

From Bellator:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I am so surprised that Georgia won nothing at these championships. Margvelashvili, Liparteliani, Gviniashvili, Tushishvili and Shavdatuashvili - all world/european medalists/winners and this time they did not get one single medal.

Here is really sweet ashi-waza: - De ashi barai?

Really happy my boy, Igolnikov got gold.

He definitely has a nice future.

I can't agree with this being an ippon; a waza-ari at best:

Yeah, nice technique, but extremely soft ippon.
I see this counter quite often, but never before, have I seen it scored as ippon. If uke was standing and the feet went out, then sure - but none of that happened here.

that would be a weak-ass ippon even in a kids' tournament...

Went to freestyle nationals this past weekend and placed first in my division. Wish more people would enter. First match below. Could use any helpful critiques. This is the only video I have sadly and it was posted by my opponent.

You fought well, aggressive and capitalized openings quickly. Your opponent did jack and you played to win, good job.

The critiques I would give are beyond the scope of the video. That is, general stuff like posture, kuzushi, blah blah blah. It'll come in time. For this tournament I'd say good showing.

You fought well, aggressive and capitalized openings quickly. Your opponent did jack and you played to win, good job.

The critiques I would give are beyond the scope of the video. That is, general stuff like posture, kuzushi, blah blah blah. It'll come in time. For this tournament I'd say good showing.

Yea I feel like I've always had a problem with posture if I'm not paying attention. I'm fairly strong so I think I get away with less kuzushi which isn't something I should rely on.

Not sure if it matters but I'm a brown belt and my opponent was a black belt. Might make me look worse lol.

Yea I feel like I've always had a problem with posture if I'm not paying attention. I'm fairly strong so I think I get away with less kuzushi which isn't something I should rely on.

Not sure if it matters but I'm a brown belt and my opponent was a black belt. Might make me look worse lol.

Eh... makes your opponent look worse really. His posture was terrible.

You were doing fine. There is some nuance that might have made things more efficient but it's not really a big deal.

Went to freestyle nationals this past weekend and placed first in my division. Wish more people would enter. First match below. Could use any helpful critiques. This is the only video I have sadly and it was posted by my opponent.

I thought you looked pretty good, my man. It's not my place to critique.

But, I'd like your opinion on the competition's turnout, how it was run, etc.

I thought you looked pretty good, my man. It's not my place to critique.

But, I'd like your opinion on the competition's turnout, how it was run, etc.

Thanks! There was a pretty big turnout for kids just low for adults overall. It was run more or less like the IJF style tournaments (been a while since I competed under those rules so going of memory). Kids started in the morning around 11:30 and then once they were done the adults started which ended up being around 4:00 I believe. We had about 4 - 5 refs per mat (only 2 mats). The largest issue I believe is just numbers which in turn means there really aren't enough people to really split up by rank. In my division for example there was my first opponent (guy in the video) who was a black belt, my second opponent was a brown in bjj (he came in 2nd), and then a guy from my gym who is an orange belt (he is a blue in bjj and has being judo for a couple years and probably better than what his rank shows). Not sure about other people's ranks that I didn't face.

There was a little inconsistency on ippons. I feel like the uchi mata I landed could of been called ippon from what I had seen earlier that day but I prefer harder ippons so I feel like it was the right call.

One thing I think they are doing to draw more people over from IFJ is they have the same weight classes. I competed in the 178 lb class which would be the 81 kg class. The weight classes used to be different until I believe this past year.

This was my longest match. Won my second match by sode tsurkomi goshi with an ippon and won my third match against my teammate by a lapel girp ippon seoi nage for ippon.

Overall I really like the rule set but still needs to grow. I am trying to talk my instructor into talking to the head guy about putting in a sambo division. I feel like that would bring in more numbers.

Thanks! There was a pretty big turnout for kids just low for adults overall. It was run more or less like the IJF style tournaments (been a while since I competed under those rules so going of memory). Kids started in the morning around 11:30 and then once they were done the adults started which ended up being around 4:00 I believe. We had about 4 - 5 refs per mat (only 2 mats). The largest issue I believe is just numbers which in turn means there really aren't enough people to really split up by rank. In my division for example there was my first opponent (guy in the video) who was a black belt, my second opponent was a brown in bjj (he came in 2nd), and then a guy from my gym who is an orange belt (he is a blue in bjj and has being judo for a couple years and probably better than what his rank shows). Not sure about other people's ranks that I didn't face.

There was a little inconsistency on ippons. I feel like the uchi mata I landed could of been called ippon from what I had seen earlier that day but I prefer harder ippons so I feel like it was the right call.

One thing I think they are doing to draw more people over from IFJ is they have the same weight classes. I competed in the 178 lb class which would be the 81 kg class. The weight classes used to be different until I believe this past year.

This was my longest match. Won my second match by sode tsurkomi goshi with an ippon and won my third match against my teammate by a lapel girp ippon seoi nage for ippon.

Overall I really like the rule set but still needs to grow. I am trying to talk my instructor into talking to the head guy about putting in a sambo division. I feel like that would bring in more numbers.
I appreciate the insight, my friend.

I think I saw this one on Facebook on one of the Judo groups.

Anything specific you want to ask, you are wearing the blue belt, correct ?

Leg grabs really change the dynamics of dealing with the big overhand grip, eh? You opponent didn't do it very well, but still...

You pretty much had the guy outclassed. Decent sleeve control on your part and nice Uchi Mata.

Last edited:
Back