Do you still recommend starting strength?

5/3/1 added 110lbs to my squat, 90lbs to my deadlift and 120lbs to my bench press. I did a variant of the Triumvirate where you do the main exercise and then 2 accessories, I typically did 3-4 accessory exercises. I also did it with 100% of my max, not that 90% shit. If I only hit 1 on my 1+ day, shit happens
I really think you get more out of % based training when you are already considered strong.

I really think you get more out of % based training when you are already considered strong.
When I started I was already deadlifting 500+, squatting 430, benching teh 270.

I want to retract my statement about the conjugate method being the final form for strength training. Unless you have all the bells and whistles for the dynamic effort days, I see it more beneficial, as a natty, to just hit a max effort set with a high percentage weight a la 5/3/1 and do some assistance exercises. I also like the idea of a max effort day twice a week for upper and lower body.

As for assistance work, don’t overthink it. My best progress was made taking the weight of my first working set and doing 5x5 with it on the same exercise. It helps you work on technique and will just get you stronger at the movement in general.

When I started I was already deadlifting 500+, squatting 430, benching teh 270.

I want to retract my statement about the conjugate method being the final form for strength training. Unless you have all the bells and whistles for the dynamic effort days, I see it more beneficial, as a natty, to just hit a max effort set with a high percentage weight a la 5/3/1 and do some assistance exercises. I also like the idea of a max effort day twice a week for upper and lower body.

As for assistance work, don’t overthink it. My best progress was made taking the weight of my first working set and doing 5x5 with it on the same exercise. It helps you work on technique and will just get you stronger at the movement in general.

At my age, experience and strength level I'm simply doing a squat/push/pull every workout in various forms and various intensities. to no overthink assistance is a grand challenge for a lot of people I see in the gym or on SM.

At my age, experience and strength level I'm simply doing a squat/push/pull every workout in various forms and various intensities. to no overthink assistance is a grand challenge for a lot of people I see in the gym or on SM.
I had good results doing this too, that’s how I first got my deadlift over 600. Frequency can take the place of volume very effectively

I had good results doing this too, that’s how I first got my deadlift over 600. Frequency can take the place of volume very effectively
Yeah, My problem is frequency. So when I do lift I make sure it counts. Volume has been my ally these days. If I could commit to 3-4 days a week, I'd push the heavier weights, more frequently, for sure.

Yeah, My problem is frequency. So when I do lift I make sure it counts. Volume has been my ally these days. If I could commit to 3-4 days a week, I'd push the heavier weights, more frequently, for sure.
Oh I thought you meant you did push pull legs every day. I was doing it 4 days a week and my bench and deadlift went up considerably just from frequency

I didn't like it, but 5/3/1 increased all of my lifts. I would recommend it. As for SS, isn't the new programming based off RPE now? I could be wrong.

I like the max effort method but i wouldnt do a different squat variant every single week If i did it I would come back to the squat every other week. Bench and deadlift respond better to a rotation in my experience.

awaiting some bitch ass sherdogger to come troll me.......

I didn't like it, but 5/3/1 increased all of my lifts. I would recommend it. As for SS, isn't the new programming based off RPE now? I could be wrong.

No rpe is not the starting strength method. Rippetoe has been hashing it out with everybody over there even letting coaches go who use that method.

I am not for or against either method myself but I personally would never use an RPE based program

I like the max effort method but i wouldnt do a different squat variant every single week If i did it I would come back to the squat every other week. Bench and deadlift respond better to a rotation in my experience.

awaiting some bitch ass sherdogger to come troll me.......
I just spent 2 months pulling sumo instead of conventional and I lost 70lbs on my conventional max. I need to rotate I think.

As far as intermediate programs I'm not a big fan of 5/3/1 personally. tried a bunch of different versions of it over the course of a year. (in terms of accesory work). But saw my biggest gains when I switched to Texas method 5x5.

As far as starting strength, it's fine for a beginner but I wouldn't recommend GOMAD to anyone unless they're severely under weight. Although if the beginner is athletic and in good shape overall, i'd still recommend a 5x5 style if they can handle the extra volume.

I did starting strength and liked it, but I recently switched to a kettlebell regimen (mostly just heavy swings) and I have to say that is definitely the most bang for your buck. Just get a heavy kettlebell and swing it several times a day for a few months. ...add in some pullups and you have a great beginner program.

I have been doing it for 3 months now consistently. You just have to do the research and know when to progress to the next step. People dont follow the routine and wonder why they stall. Its great for strength gains, but remember its not a body building routine, the focus is strength, not aesthetics.

Phase 1
Squat 3x5
Bench Press/Overhead Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

After some time deadlifting 3x a week is no longer doable. You then begin to alternate the deadlift and power clean

Phase 2
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5/Power Clean 5x3

This is where I would say the majority of the novice gains happen, and you can stay in phase 2 for atleast 2 months. When the weight gets heavy, you start taking a light Squat day , preferably on your 2 second session of the week. I dont know what its officially called, but i will call it phase 2B.

Phase 2B
Squat 3x5, (2x5@80% of mondays weight on Wednesday)

I do my deadlifting on my light squat day because it can be taxing to squat, deadlift, and overhead/bench heavy in the same session. Or you can deadlift on fridays because you have the extra recovery day. When you have trouble cleaning heavy twice a week, move to phase 3.

Phase 3
Deadlift 1x5/Power Clean 5x3/Chin Ups

Basically just Phase 2b with chins alternated in with deadlifts and power cleans. This is the final phase of the program and you grind this out for as long as you can.

If you fail to hit the programmed amount of reps, try again next session, if you do it then keep going with the 5 pounds per workout, if you fail again, deload 20% and work your way back up. Once you have deloaded atleast 3 times, then you are probably ready to move to intermediate programming.

I am going to do the texas method when I finish grinding out the rest of the LP. Its also by Rippetoe and its pretty similar to the later phases of starting strength, but with more volume, and weekly progression as opposed to daily progression.

The biggest complaint about the program is that there is not enough volume in the upper body lifts. There are some good arguments for and against this. Aesthetically people are correct. You probably are not going to get some crazy jacked transformation when compared to your lower body, however, its not a body building routine, so its not the point. The lower volume is to get people use to doing the lifts. It takes a long time to do reps with perfect form. When people move to intermediate programming, they will get all the volume they need plus some.

If you are stalling, check your form, if you still stall, check your diet, if you still stall, check your diet again. If you stall again, start looking for muscle imbalances. I now do resistance band workouts a few times a week to keep my shoulders and hips in check.

You might be surprised at the progress you can make doing a strength program just once a week (diminishing returns?) and eating 50 grams more protein. I've been adding 5kgs (European!) a fortnight to everything since I started 6 months ago and haven't hit a wall yet. Except chin ups... Little fuckers are hard for me. Let me caveat that by saying I intentionally started with a weight I could do for 10+ reps to safely learn the lifts.

What I've noticed is that I have more snap in my punches than before and seem to tweek my joints less often. Winner!

Been a while since I've done any lifting and going to get back into it.

Had some success with starting strength years ago and am wondering if you all still recommend it or is there something better?

If SS is still the favourite any tips or links on working out what weights I should start with for each lift?

Thanks.

It's been cliche to say, but it's true, you can get strong on just about any program, at least as a novice to intermediate. I did the whole Brawn, Beyond Brawn, to SS, to Stronglifts all of them, but prior to my power lifting comp, I did the Russian 9 week program, and it worked.

I'm in my late 40s now and I recommend older BJJers simply do the basics and practice BJJ or Judo 2-3 times a week. Vary it up throughout the year to avoid boredom if anything. I go thru periods of just trap bar, instead of squat/dead...and periods of just Squat, Overhead Press, Deads (overhead press is more functional than bench).

Some dudes in my gym do nothing but kettleballs and pushups and that feel as strong as anyone when we are grip fighting. Congrats on the new baby...I have a tribe myself.

Keep us posted.
I have been doing sprints, pullups and some kettlebell stuff to help my judo and except my sensei who´s like 130 kg and another guy that did an olympic discipline related with strength I don´t feel weak compared with the rest but my question is. Do you feel this kind of lifting is good for Judo or will make me too slow ?

The days I don´t go to Judo (sometimes cannot make the 3 or even 2 ) I am planning go lifting or boxing but not both.

I have been doing sprints, pullups and some kettlebell stuff to help my judo and except my sensei who´s like 130 kg and another guy that did an olympic discipline related with strength I don´t feel weak compared with the rest but my question is. Do you feel this kind of lifting is good for Judo or will make me too slow ?

The days I don´t go to Judo (sometimes cannot make the 3 or even 2 ) I am planning go lifting or boxing but not both.

I think to slow down you'd have to pack on significant muscle mass or neglect your judo. As long as you're still doing your sport more than you lift, you should be fine.

I might be wrong though. Let's see what the experts say...

I have been doing it for 3 months now consistently. You just have to do the research and know when to progress to the next step. People dont follow the routine and wonder why they stall. Its great for strength gains, but remember its not a body building routine, the focus is strength, not aesthetics.

Phase 1
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

After some time deadlifting 3x a week is no longer doable. You then begin to alternate the deadlift and power clean

Phase 2
Squat 3x5

This is where I would say the majority of the novice gains happen, and you can stay in phase 2 for atleast 2 months. When the weight gets heavy, you start taking a light Squat day , preferably on your 2 second session of the week. I dont know what its officially called, but i will call it phase 2B.

Phase 2B

I do my deadlifting on my light squat day because it can be taxing to squat, deadlift, and overhead/bench heavy in the same session. Or you can deadlift on fridays because you have the extra recovery day. When you have trouble cleaning heavy twice a week, move to phase 3.

Phase 3
Deadlift 1x5/Power Clean 5x3/Chin Ups

Basically just Phase 2b with chins alternated in with deadlifts and power cleans. This is the final phase of the program and you grind this out for as long as you can.

If you fail to hit the programmed amount of reps, try again next session, if you do it then keep going with the 5 pounds per workout, if you fail again, deload 20% and work your way back up. Once you have deloaded atleast 3 times, then you are probably ready to move to intermediate programming.

I am going to do the texas method when I finish grinding out the rest of the LP. Its also by Rippetoe and its pretty similar to the later phases of starting strength, but with more volume, and weekly progression as opposed to daily progression.

The biggest complaint about the program is that there is not enough volume in the upper body lifts. There are some good arguments for and against this. Aesthetically people are correct. You probably are not going to get some crazy jacked transformation when compared to your lower body, however, its not a body building routine, so its not the point. The lower volume is to get people use to doing the lifts. It takes a long time to do reps with perfect form. When people move to intermediate programming, they will get all the volume they need plus some.

If you are stalling, check your form, if you still stall, check your diet, if you still stall, check your diet again. If you stall again, start looking for muscle imbalances. I now do resistance band workouts a few times a week to keep my shoulders and hips in check.
Is there a sustitute for the explosion part ?
Here in most gyms they won´t let me do cleans and snatches.

I think to slow down you'd have to pack on significant muscle mass or neglect your judo. As long as you're still doing your sport more than you lift, you should be fine.

I might be wrong though. Let's see what the experts say...
Thank´s I believe the same, guess I´ll start with texas method if I don´t go for boxing.

Back