Video of Raquel Pennington's corner after RD 4

The corner gets more money if she wins. That's all they are about.

idiot corner, but if she wanted to stop she could've just told the ref

I'm more disgusted that the UFC tried telling us Pennington was a title contender.

She could have tapped, she could have verbally told the ref she wanted out, she was deafeted and looked to her corner for a reason to go back out there and give it her all. I am with the other posters here saying it was a gut check moment she needed from her corner and she was mentally breaking and her corner gave her the strength to leave it all out there. My opinion anyways. If this was a men's MMA fight no one would even be talking about this.

You're a shit coach, shit person and not very bright.

Yeah ok mate. Rofl thanks for the update I’ll go off myself now cheers.

I bet Rocky hates her coaches now eh.
Maybe she will fire them or complain on twitter.

Stfu and stay in your lane kiddo.

The corner gets more money if she wins. That's all they are about.

No they don’t you tool they get paid a set amount win or lose.

Jesus there are some real boneheads in here.

well, this is why you have head coaches...
She was breaking herself and you need someone to tell you to go through it and fight.
She wasn't in that bad of a shape, is just that her threshold was getting low and well, she is in a fucking championship round.
I dont think Rory or Robbie would have quit even in that awful bloody fight, and i don't see anyone here complaining, instead, everyone praises them

And you also need someone to tell you when you're done. "Believe!" is not an actionable game plan. It's not your coach's job to fill your head with delusions, and tell you "beautiful, champ. Beautiful ", while you're getting your ass kicked. You don't send your fighter into a battle they can't win, especially when they specifically tell you they're done.

Rory and Robbie were totally different. They didn't want to quit. And Rory had his moments in the fight. It's not like he couldn’t of won.
Rocky had no path to victory, and her coaches sent her back with "believe!" as her way to take the fight. And she didn't want to fight anymore.

Should've at least asked her what was wrong. If she's just feeling defeated then get her mind right and get back out there.

But in the end they know her probably handled it right

She could have tapped, she could have verbally told the ref she wanted out, she was deafeted and looked to her corner for a reason to go back out there and give it her all. I am with the other posters here saying it was a gut check moment she needed from her corner and she was mentally breaking and her corner gave her the strength to leave it all out there. My opinion anyways. If this was a men's MMA fight no one would even be talking about this.
Not at all.
Any fighter that gets outclassed for 4 or 5 rounds and wants to quit, i have zero issue with. Man or woman.
It's not just about quitting. It's quitting because you have fought this person for 20 minutes already and have nothing else to hurt them with. If you're a striker facing GSP, and you are getting beat up for 4 rounds in the only field you're good at, why take another 5 minutes of getting your broken nose punched in? You're not out wrestling GSP, and you aren't going to judo throw him, so you can either go get your TKO, or live to fight another day

And you also need someone to tell you when you're done. "Believe!" is not an actionable game plan. It's not your coach's job to fill your head with delusions, and tell you "beautiful, champ. Beautiful ", while you're getting your ass kicked. You don't send your fighter into a battle they can't win, especially when they specifically tell you they're done.

Rory and Robbie were totally different. They didn't want to quit. And Rory had his moments in the fight. It's not like he couldn’t of won.
Rocky had no path to victory, and her coaches sent her back with "believe!" as her way to take the fight. And she didn't want to fight anymore.

And everyone saying that Raquel should have done something else, well, after 20 minutes of getting the shit beat out of you, being exhausted, probably wearing your own piss by now, watching your opponent walk through your best shots and losing most of the grappling exchanges, you are not exactly thinking clearly. This is why the first and foremost job of the corner is to protect the fighter.

The Corner should have checked her further but she should decided

The regret and what if’s from the future could really eat away at her. Knowing that she still had a chance to ko Amanda, no matter how slim.

She could have countered him by saying “No! Fuck all that, I said, I’m DONE”

No matter how stupid, it was extremely brave of her to go back in the 5th knowing that she had nothing left. That takes courage and I can’t shit on her for that

I agree with the part that they didn't force her into anything, they encouraged her to reconsider and keep fighting. If she was definitive that she was done, they would have stopped the fight. I think this is different than the Marquardt video posted against Kelvin - he was on the stool saying he had nothing left. Pennington was just saying her nose hurt.

Corner is there to protect the fighter, first and foremost.
If they wanted blood , they should have joined 10000 fans in the bulding and not be fucking cornermen. What a disgrace

''We will recover later''....

cte.jpg

I agree with the part that they didn't force her into anything, they encouraged her to reconsider and keep fighting. If she was definitive that she was done, they would have stopped the fight. I think this is different than the Marquardt video posted against Kelvin - he was on the stool saying he had nothing left. Pennington was just saying her nose hurt.

I'm done and I've got nothing left means the same thing.

I've seen plenty of coaches tell fighters that they are done and the fighter comes back and says don't stop and let them continue. This is one of the handful of times I've heard a fighter say they are done and the coach makes them fight. It almost never ends well.

It's not like Pennington was even winning a round. She had virtually no chance of winning the fight outside of a fluke KO and that's probably not going to happen in the 5th round when they are both tired. What's the victory here? That she went 5 rounds with the champion? Instead, her nose gets shattered even worse, blood pours out like a faucet and now she'll probably need plastic surgery. Nice job.

If a fighter says they are done, let them be done. I get the mentality of wanting to push someone through tough times to make them stronger but this isn't war or getting an extra rep in at a gym.

I'm done and I've got nothing left means the same thing.

You miss the part where Nate was on the stool and looked like he couldn't stand? It may have been the wrong call - but if she was that adamant, she could have said it more than once and then agree with them.

Back