John Dodson re-signs with UFC

under_t

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/5/16/17360952/john-dodson-re-signs-with-ufc
John Dodson is sticking around.

The popular bantamweight has come to terms with the UFC on a new four-fight contract, MMAFighting.com has learned.

Dodson’s contract expired following his split decision win over Pedro Munhoz in March. Following the win, Dodson told reporters that his preference would be to stay with the UFC, and in the end, he got his wish.

While his next fight isn’t set just yet, sources say Dodson would like to return to action around August.

Dodson, 33, has a 9-4 record inside the Octagon and is a two-time UFC flyweight title contender. His most notable victory came seven years ago when he knocked out future (and current) bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw in the TUF 14 Finale.

Glad UFC didn't let him go.
He won't be a champ but still a good fighter.

Bellator didn’t want him I assume

Hope John got a good deal

Because you just followed a compliment with a but. Even you know.

Do you not know how to read? Where was the but? I simply said he was an exciting fighter at the lower weight classes (you know, the same weight classes you guys say suck?)

Do you not know how to read? Where was the but? I simply said he was an exciting fighter at the lower weight classes (you know, the same weight classes you guys say suck?)
That's the point. That's what I read. Thank you for your service.

Good, I'm glad they didn't squander that one.

Good. Dodson has a good chance of beating anyone at BW, has a ko win over the current Champ and went 50 minutes with DJ without getting finished and the only 2 fights in UFC he lost that werent close. The rest of the loses are to Lineker split and Moraes split, i thought he won the Moraes fight. Also has never been finished, not many can have such a long career in the UFC and not get finished. I think he should be fighting the top 5 instead of up and coming talent which he then usually beats and eliminates a contender.

I feel like John's best days are behind him sadly. He struggles with cardio at 125 and is small and loses power at 135. Seems like he struggles to pull the trigger recently, this happens in the lower weights in boxing a lot around his age. Either the chin goes or hesitation sets in.

Still glad he's back though, even a 80% Dodson is better than most at 135

Dodson testing out the free agency market:

tenor.gif

Dodson seems to have trouble pulling the trigger the last few years.

He still looks physically pretty healthy, from what we can see, and his cardio and speed seem intact. He might be fighting under his potential because of burnout, and he's also fairly undersized at 135lbs.

I'd like to see him back 125 and with a new commitment to closing the show.

Yay, more tapping strikes while running around the octagon.. he was exciting a few years ago. But every good BW beats him. I would pick guys like Rob Font against him. Rivera, Garbrandt, Dillashaw, Cruz etc all beat him. Some other guys who I am not familiar with beat him too.

I've always liked the guy and felt like he could've finished MM in their first fight. That shit looked like two super saiyans going at it in real life. I'd like if he had more of an edge to him in the octagon though. Seems like one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and some of that translates into his fights. Still a fan. Congrats on the new contact!

Back