Striker submitting a grappler and a grappler KOing a striker?

aichokyu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I was thinking about the unpredictable aspect of MMA, and examples of a fighter primarily being a grappler koing a striker (they're all multidimensional now, but some still have an unbalance in their skillset, with one very strong aspect that compensates the weakness etc. wrestlers are in between as I do not consider all of them as submission artists if they favor GnP)
sometimes it is done in a crafty way, as an overhand following a faked takedown, but can even happen in a regular striking exchange I guess

the fights I tought about are Mir vs Crocop, Gonzaga against poor Crocop again, Werdum against Hunt maybe, alltought Werdum is quite complete in his skillset

Do you guys have any other examples in mind?

and then I wondered about the opposite, a striker submitting a grappler, which intuitively seems much less likely to me, maybe only if the grappler if half koed already or gassing bad.

I thought about hughes almeida, forrest shogun, but hughes is a wrestler, if not a submission artist, and shogun was gassed so it doesn't exactly fit what I'm looking for.
Does anyone have a fight in mind that would be a good example?

so far for Striker subbing Grappler :

anderson vs hendo
cro cop randleman 2
rothwell barnett
pettis henderson

grappler koing striker:

crocop randleman 1
crocop gonzaga
mir crocop
werdum hunt

Last edited:
Anderson submitted Hendo, that's a classic striker subbing a grappler.

Cro-cop vs Randleman 2

yes I tought about that, but as I was editing the post, I am not sure I consider randleman a submission guy, maybe I should reformulate my title.
still crocop as a typical striker submitting is close, maybe there's not better.

73pf84.jpg

+Bonus points for being the same matchup

Last edited:
Paulo Thiago koing Koscheck

Matt Hughes subbing Ricardo Almeida

Kos and Hugues are not primarly strikers but it still should have been the other way around

Back when Nick Diaz was a known as a jiu-jitsu fighter:

4Cfy3Rh.gif

Erm .... i guess Fedor submitting Sylvia

Fedor at his best (and I think he had already peaked and wasn't against Sylvia) was the total complete fighter for me, striking wrestling submissions, so I wouldn't be surprised if he submitted or Koed anyone

Rothwell submitting barnett. Pettis submitting bendo

Fedor at his best (and I think he had already peaked and wasn't against Sylvia) was the total complete fighter for me, striking wrestling submissions, so I wouldn't be surprised if he submitted or Koed anyone

Exactly bro.

funny, cro cop was looking for a heel hook momentarily in the second gonzaga fight too iirc

When Mir started knocking strikers out -

WjhQLKU.gif

BMzt.gif

mir-vs-duffee.gif

Back