Anyone else surprised Conor McGregor retired after Floyd?

Snowfist

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I really thought the UFC would have a deal where Conor got incredible money for 5 or more fights. 1 in boxing against Floyd and the rest in the UFC. I figured Conor actually didn't make that much on the Floyd fight, but the value would be spread out. That would be the UFC's guarantee Conor would return to the UFC and continue being a big PPV draw for them.

It looks like they actually just paid him a massive sum of money and have accepted he will retire a 'UFC celebrity'.

Either his celebrity status gives so much exposure to MMA that this is somehow worthwhile to them or they seriously fucked up in the contract negotiations. Either way the fans of the sport got fucked.

Given the space Conor was in financially do you really think he wouldn't have accepted $15 million a fight for 5-10 fights with the UFC after the Floyd fight? Why would they give him one massive payday. They had him under contract. He had no leverage.

tenor.gif

Not at all, couldn’t imagine getting up for work in the morning after getting millions in the bank lol. Was disappointed but not surprised.

Because the UFC made a shit load of money out of that fight aswell?

Boxing > MMA. Floyd retired Conor.

Given the space Conor was in financially do you really think he wouldn't have accepted $15 million a fight for 5-10 fights with the UFC after the Floyd fight? Why would they give him one massive payday. They had him under contract. He had no leverage.

He had leverage.

Just because you are under contract doesn't mean you have to fight. He could've just sat out the terms, and made the Floyd fight all on his own once he was released. UFC would've got nothing, and he woulda been gone.

The would have made more if they made McGregor fight out his contract first
Maybe they expected Conor to continue to fight after? Who knows, maybe he will.

Either way, it's not just about how much money the UFC made that night. Although they probably made a shit ton. It's bigger than thay. Just that fight alone introduced thousands of new fans to the UFC.

With all the promotion they did and the whole buzz about McGregor Vs Floyd, an MMA champion Vs a boxing champion. It was one of the biggest sports event in history.

People who didn't know what MMA was prior to that fight probably started watching MMA fights leading to that fight and even after that.

Just that alone is as big if not bigger than making Conor fight out his contract.

Plus, who says Conor would have fought out his contract even if they didn't make Mcgregor Vs Mayweather? Fighters aren't obligated to fight.

Last edited:
Maybe they expected Conor to continue to fight after? Who knows, maybe he will.

And it's not just about how much money the UFC made that night. Although they probably made a shit ton. Just that fight alone introduced thousands of new fans to the UFC.

With all the promotion they did and the whole buzz about McGregor Vs Floyd, an MMA champion Vs a boxing champiom, people who didn't know what MMA was probably starting watching fights.

Just that alone is as big if not bigger than
And the UFC ratings are falling and their PPVs aren't selling as well as they used to. It didn't nothing for the UFC brand, it may have helped Conor's future UFC fights (if he has any) but that's about it.

No,

I would.

I'd be doing alot worse shit than throwing dollys through windows though.

He had leverage.

Just because you are under contract doesn't mean you have to fight. He could've just sat out the terms, and made the Floyd fight all on his own once he was released. UFC would've got nothing, and he woulda been gone.

You think the UFC would ever release their biggest draw and cash cow to just walk away free and clear???

Specific crazy.jpg

I really thought the UFC would have a deal where Conor got incredible money for 5 or more fights. 1 in boxing against Floyd and the rest in the UFC. I figured Conor actually didn't make that much on the Floyd fight, but the value would be spread out. That would be the UFC's guarantee Conor would return to the UFC and continue being a big PPV draw for them.

It looks like they actually just paid him a massive sum of money and have accepted he will retire a 'UFC celebrity'.

Either his celebrity status gives so much exposure to MMA that this is somehow worthwhile to them or they seriously fucked up in the contract negotiations. Either way the fans of the sport got fucked.

tenor.gif

Which is why the bus fiasco was a gift from the heavens.

They are THAT lucky.

It's as if Dana told WME, relax fellas, he's pull a Jon Jones and he'll be back in no time.

And the UFC ratings are falling and their PPVs aren't selling as well as they used to. It didn't nothing for the UFC brand, it may have helped Conor's future UFC fights (if he has any) but that's about it.
I disagree.

Not at all, couldn’t imagine getting up for work in the morning after getting millions in the bank lol. Was disappointed but not surprised.

it truly marks him as inferior to floyd though. conor always presented himself as being once ever, the king, the number one. one mayweather payday and conor turned into a regular bum who doesnt even fight anymore. its not even like theres only floyd above him, either, pacquiao is way richer than conor as well. conor was just a chump riding a wave, his record matches this assessment. tysons numbers dwarf conors and tyson earned that money decades ago in the 80s. bunch of other boxers earned a pile more than conor as well, and kept going. now conor is just a drunken manlet thug

You think the UFC would ever release their biggest draw and cash cow to just walk away free and clear???

View attachment 381855

I'm not sure you understood what I posted.

Of course they wouldn't, that's why they went in on the deal to allow Conor to box Floyd.

I was responding to someone who said Conor had no leverage whatsoever, which is false. The earnings he represents to the UFC are his leverage.

How did the fans of the sport get fucked? He doesn't owe any fan shit, it up to him to put his body on the line or not. Be happy for another man that got over and out of the rat race.

Say what you want about Conor, he will come back and flatline Khabib.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back