Kamaru Usman: I know I can get him out of there in the first round.

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This is back in 2016

“This is fighting, at the end of the day,” Usman said. “This is not a football game where a high school player is talking to an NFL player. He’s been at the top for a long time, but my style would trump his style. And I know, I study this sport, I know that I can get him out of there in the first round.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2016/11/kamar...he-first-round-my-style-would-trump-his-style

The guy is a beast. Not my fav style of fighting for a entertaining pov. But he is a scary fighter.

To bad he shut down meek the way he did. It sucked. But it was very impressive to watch.

Big talk. Nobody takes out Maia in the first round except for Nate Marquardt.

He should be able to imo, since he won't look to use his wrestling offensively against Maia.

He packs a mean punch.

I hope he decides to wrestle Maia from the opening bell. Then we’ll see what’s up.

Easiest fight in the division and it's got a ranking tag on it

Perfect for him

Won't sell me though
Still a leg humper that would get blasted by Rory if UFC actually paid him

I think Usman takes this at this stage of Maias career, but I would laugh my arse off if Demian subbed the sh*t outta him.

I think Usman takes this at this stage of Maias career, but I would laugh my arse off if Demian subbed the sh*t outta him.

Here’s to hoping

Not that I have anything against Usman, Maia just deserves all around respect by his peers.

With Maia anything is possible his ground game is so tight that if Usman half asses his approach during the fight he will get taken down and get subbed.

Maia has taken down good wrestlers before he may need only one.

Tyron Woodlwy who is a beast of an athlete said he was surprised how Maia can be really strong in the clinch.

I think Usman KO's the old boy. I love Maia but think his time at the top is up. Usman seems to improve his stand up each time out. I think he repels a few early Maia take down attempts and ultimately finds a big punch for KO or knockdown and gnp TKO.

Maia's basically fighting the same type of fighter, three bouts in a row...all on short notice. Not the smartest "business man", but a total fucking warrior.

I like both guys, but Usman will KO Maia for sure.

I've said it on a bunch of different threads. Demian Maia does not just turn up for a paycheck.

If he accepted this fight, it means he thinks he has a reasonable chance of success. And given his track record, I'm disinclined to believe Usman can finish him in the 1st round.

Has potential to be a fun ground battle.

Big talk. Nobody takes out Maia in the first round except for Nate Marquardt.

Prime Marquardt is one of the most underrated fighters on this board imo dude was an absolute fucking beast. His KO of Woodley is one of my all time favorite KO's such a sick combo.

Easiest fight in the division and it's got a ranking tag on it

Perfect for him

Won't sell me though
Still a leg humper that would get blasted by Rory if UFC actually paid him
and lima plus Woodley. colby would match up well too.

Prime Marquardt is one of the most underrated fighters on this board imo dude was an absolute fucking beast. His KO of Woodley is one of my all time favorite KO's such a sick combo.
Tekken Personified.

im not sure im sold on him finishing maia in the first but i do think kamaru bests him. usman is the man at WW right now

Here’s to hoping

Not that I have anything against Usman, Maia just deserves all around respect by his peers.

Most of his peers seem to give him a shitload of respect, even Colby did (allegedly). It's more so the just bleed fans who don't show him respect.

This is a winnable fight for Maia, but short notice, 40 years old, and five round fights don't mix well.

If Maia had a full camp, I'd pick him.

Back