Was Bill Wallace being a bully here or is it fair play?

Mmm, I'm not sure about that at all.

I think Bill was meaning to inflict some pain and he was definitely putting some pop on those shots but I also think he was pulling his punches a fair amount. If he really wanted to KO this guy don't you think he could've done it?

He was an undefeated kickboxing champion sparring a random weekend warrior at a seminar. I think if he wanted to totally lay that dude out he could've done it quite quickly, and if he was really punching with full power then he would have.

Wallace was pulling his shots, but some of them were still hard. You don't know the agreement beforehand

Are you blaming Wallace for the level of his opposition???
Maybe I am blaming him for his level of opposition - he couldve fought better guys. Fact is he never challenged himself like Andy Hug or Peter Smit by expanding into full-contact. Smit was a kyokushin euro champ, a thai fightr who beat kiatsongrit in lumpinee, and a kickboxer who fought some of the best like Mo Smith. Whereas wallace seems like he just wanted to be an undefeated point fighter who crushed a dozen cans and quit. Which is disappointing from a fans perspective, but its his life.

Last edited:
Maybe I am blaming him for his level of opposition - he couldve fought better guys. Fact is he never challenged himself like Andy Hug or Peter Smit by expanding into full-contact. Smit was a kyokushin euro champ, a thai fightr who beat kiatsongrit in lumpinee, and a kickboxer who fought some of the best like Mo Smith. Whereas wallace seems like he just wanted to be an undefeated point fighter who crushed a dozen cans and quit. Which is disappointing from a fans perspective, but its his life.

He did go into full contact and was undefeated middleweight Kickboxing champion.

Maybe I am blaming him for his level of opposition - he couldve fought better guys. Fact is he never challenged himself like Andy Hug or Peter Smit by expanding into full-contact.

Wut?

Bill Wallace was an undefeated champion in American/Full Contact Kickboxing.

He was the PKA middleweight champ, retiring with a 20-0 record and 12 KOs.

Read up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Wallace_(martial_artist)

One of his full-contact fights is even posted on the first page of this very thread.

the only thing worth pointing out, is mr mullet man wasnt a kid, he was a grown man. You see kids go hard on saenchai all the time and he doesnt put them in their place, but if a man goes hard on saenchai, he definitely turns up the heat.

If a Thai did that he'd get a much different reaction on this forum.

If a Thai did that he'd get a much different reaction on this forum.

But where in the clip does other guy cross the line? He can barely punch. All I see is a happy dude getting to spar a Kickboxing legend.

I remember the first time I asked to light spar and a coach looking at me and saying" sure, but if you start to turn it up, we'll start to turn it up" -true dat. Mullet got turned up/

But where in the clip does other guy cross the line? He can barely punch. All I see is a happy dude getting to spar a Kickboxing legend.

He clearly can't fight but that doesn't stop him for flicking out stupid shit to look cool. If you think this is bad, Benny Urquidez wouldn't have thought twice about koing him and leaving him in a pile in the middle of the Jet Center.

I don't really believe in all this 'put them in their place' nonsense. You're and adult, be the adult. If you're sparring and some kid is being stupid and taking it too far - just call a stop to the sparring session and tell him that you're not sparring until he can show that he's willing to spar properly.

That's not a kid, he's a grown adult male in his prime while Wallace is an old man.

Getting made and beating someones ass just makes you a tool as well. You're not in a fight, you're in a sparring session, so just as it's not right for him to spar really hard, it's not right for you to concuss him to teach him a lesson.

I don't know Bill and I don't really know the situation - but harsh words coming from someone as respected as Bill Wallace probably would have had more effect on the kid than Bill knocking him out.

Sparring can be light to full out for KO. This is standard practice, especially for a dumbass trying to make a name for himself, especially that underhanded remark. He got off light.

Last edited:
the only thing worth pointing out, is mr mullet man wasnt a kid, he was a grown man. You see kids go hard on saenchai all the time and he doesnt put them in their place, but if a man goes hard on saenchai, he definitely turns up the heat.

Exactly. Because someone good can catch & KO him while he's playing around light and this would hurt not only Saenchai's ego, but his marketability & livelihood. He makes money doing seminars, selling stuff, etc. not just from fighting. If someone really wanted to go hard, they should tell him this first instead of, surprise!

Exactly. Because someone good can catch & KO him while he's playing around light and this would hurt not only Saenchai's ego, but his marketability & livelihood. He makes money doing seminars, selling stuff, etc. not just from fighting. If someone really wanted to go hard, they should tell him this first instead of, surprise!

i dont think anyone good could catch saenchai and ko him. He plays around during actual fights with the best out there.

Everyone gets caught in the end.....:(

images

That's not a kid, he's a grown adult male in his prime while Wallace is an old man.

Sparring can be light to full out for KO. This is standard practice, especially for a dumbass trying to make a name for himself, especially that underhanded remark. He got off light.

Nonsense. Get out of here with that shit.

The universal rule of ALL gyms that spar is:

The level of intensity during sparring rises to as high as you escalate it.

This means you can't complain if someone rises to your level of intensity, because it is fair for both people. I didn't make up this rule, it literally is and has been the rule since anyone can remember. Sometimes people want to spar light, sometimes medium or want to spar heavy-- that's up to them.

What you DON'T get to do (obvious AF) is go hard while demanding the other guy stay lite. If you demand a double standard, you are garbage, plain and simple, and you will enjoy your thrashing and continual hostility you have created, rightfully.

It's not a difficult concept. It's simple and designed to be fair and easy to understand for everyone down to the extreme beginner, because it can't get any fairer or simpler.

Anyone who wants to act like lowly trash or wants to defend that kind of behavoir doesn't deserve accommodation or respect because they refuse to acknowledge this universal principle of worth to others and basic respect in the first place.

i dont think anyone good could catch saenchai and ko him. He plays around during actual fights with the best out there.

It would be very low in chances, but don't rule out surprise attacks. Imagine how it would explode on the internet if someone did, and it would stay up there 100 years to forever.

The universal rule of ALL gyms that spar is:

The level of intensity during sparring rises to as high as you escalate it.

This means you can't complain if someone rises to your level of intensity, because it is fair for both people. I didn't make up this rule, it literally is and has been the rule since anyone can remember. Sometimes people want to spar light, sometimes medium or want to spar heavy-- that's up to them.

What you DON'T get to do (obvious AF) is go hard while demanding the other guy stay lite. If you demand a double standard, you are garbage, plain and simple, and you will enjoy your thrashing and continual hostility you have created, rightfully.

It's not a difficult concept. It's simple and designed to be fair and easy to understand for everyone down to the extreme beginner, because it can't get any fairer or simpler.

Anyone who wants to act like lowly trash or wants to defend that kind of behavoir doesn't deserve accommodation or respect because they refuse to acknowledge this universal principle of worth to others and basic respect in the first place.

Excellent. I would just add that some places have more closely monitoring of power levels during sparring, by their instructors.....especially the TMA joints where they often tells you to go lighter, because in general, they don't fight full contact; just mostly for points. But in fight gyms like MT or full MMA, if you come in and want to show the students there a thing or 2, then dudes will line up for you.

If it escalates to a full fight, then so be it. I don't want to lose in sparring. I know exactly who I can beat and can't beat in a gym with more than 100 students (mostly Jitsu). It's just a natural pecking order selection.

Back