The Official One Championship Discussion Topic

I think of all of the Evolve fighters, Amir Khan is a real standout and needs to be fighting better opposition to develop more. Lots of skill and heart.

I'm also big on Shannon Wiratchai.

Both should be moving up to the prelims of bigger leagues.

Untill i see them fight and beat the likes of Sexton, Shalorus, Nastyukhin, Aoki, Ando, Ting or Folayang, I dont see them fighting anywhere bigger.

Personally I would like to see a match up between Khan and Banario. Would be an interesting fight.

Khan's opponent was going for submissions on the ground and swinging for the fences in the striking.

It's difficult for Folayang to be exciting or even impressive when the opponent doesn't want to fight.

He beat someone of higher caliber than Khans opponent. That already makes it more impressive than Khans win.

He beat someone of higher caliber than Khans opponent. That already makes it more impressive than Khans win.

Are u questioning who was more impressive or who was more entertaining?
Agree that Folayang opponent was higher calibre (even if he didn't show it) and therefore the win was more impressive.

Amir Khan beats a 3-1 and is somehow more entertaining compared to when Folayang beat a 11-0?

Are u questioning who was more impressive or who was more entertaining?
Agree that Folayang opponent was higher calibre (even if he didn't show it) and therefore the win was more impressive.

Ok fair enough

Khans win = more entertaining
Folayangs win = more impressive

To be honest, I mainly watch One FC to see Evolve MMA's Muay Thai instructors coming out of retirement to beat up on foreigners, with English commentary.

I want saying Khan was more impressive than folayang. I just thought Eduard should have went for the kill more as his opponent was totally outclassed. I can see your position that in itself is impressive though.

What happened to Eddie Ng, Shinya's stablemate, and Lowen Tynanes?
Exactly what I'm thinking, I thought Tynanes is about to earn a TS against then Champion Shinya Aoki,

Both of them disappeared out of nowhere.

Amir Khan beats a 3-1 and is somehow more entertaining compared to when Folayang beat a 11-0?
Folayang's opponent was a complete can crusher. Look at his record. He only has one win over an opponent with a winning record, with most guys being like 0-2.

Folayang's opponent was a complete can crusher. Look at his record. He only has one win over an opponent with a winning record, with most guys being like 0-2.
As opposed to the korean guy who only has 1 win against someone with a winning record?

So is Vera still fighting no name bums?
I don't think fighting quality opponenrs was his main goal in signing with One Fc. He knows he's never going to be a legitimate champion in MMA so he probably wants Rich Franklin's job.

To be honest, I mainly watch One FC to see Evolve MMA's Muay Thai instructors coming out of retirement to beat up on foreigners, with English commentary.

Haha this. They aren't doing a bad job promoting Thai stadium fighters on a international scale. Put them in more kickboxing fights and not MMA fights.

Random thought: I don't think they should have gone the MMA route and would have been more successful promoting kickboxing. Hiring Aoki, Askren and the could-never-be MMA guys actually devalued their promotion more and was a waste of money. They could have thrown the same money at Buakaw and Yod... hell even Souwer, JWP etc and would have done as well if not better.

Random thought: I don't think they should have gone the MMA route and would have been more successful promoting kickboxing. Hiring Aoki, Askren and the could-never-be MMA guys actually devalued their promotion more and was a waste of money. They could have thrown the same money at Buakaw and Yod... hell even Souwer, JWP etc and would have done as well if not better.

If they had entirely seperate events for striking and mma i would be all for this

I'm not exactly sure if the time frame matches but I'm pretty sure One and Glory got started around the same time. Glory throwing around huge purses in their early fights might have put One off that path. In the end, I think they made the right decision. Kickboxing is a product that already exists throughout much of SEA so while it has its niche fanbase already built-in, it is also more of a known commodity that wouldn't have gathered the attention of people like mma has ( ie. UFC in the early 2000s drew attention for being a 'new' kind of combat sport).

Chatri has spoken openly about wanting to get to the point where they are running weekly shows. Now, take that with a massive dosage of salt given the source but they have been consistent with events over the past year and a half and are steadily growing their number of events each year that actually happen. I can seem them getting to a point where bi-weekly shows are the norm and are separated between sports ( kickboxing, mma, and I think boxing will get added into the mix within the next 18 months).

Well that is....something. 38yo, 5 straight losses, hasn't fought in two years. Have to think One wants him to be a 'name' to feed to their favorites.

Anyone think UFC #8 flyweight Ben Nguyen would be a great signing for ONE?

I think they should try to pick him up and push into Vietnam in 2019.
With champ champ Martin and top 10 flyweight Ben that's a great double headliner for a Saigon card.
(He has 2 fights left on his contract.)
ben_kop.gif

Back