Anybody tried stem cells?

The Mookster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know we all have heard a lot about stem cell therapy and I am considering trying it for my right knee which is fucked (zero cartilage, arthritis, etc). Its hard to find good information that doesn't turn out to be a big advertisement. I've heard Rogan talk about it on the JRE but that could be some under the table sponsor type shit. Just curious if anybody has any real experiences with it.

I had someone call me out of the blue asking about stem cells for heart failure. So i googled Texas Heart and CCF (two biggest cardiac centers) and of course they have experimental trials for cardiac stem cells but nothing established, validated or approved for commercial use.

I have a buddy who works for a stem cell company and they have gone through $300m+ and still get so-so clinical trials results for pancreatic cells. My guess is that this joint stuff is voodoo science mostly for making a buck off desperate people.

For some reason I read the title as "Has anyone tried sperm cells" in a diet and nutrition sub-forum.

Gotta lay off the interwebs

Bas Rutten tried it (in his knee I think) and he seemed to think it did some significant good in his case. I think very healthy people like athletes tend to do better in general with any kind of therapy than regular people.

My brother in law had stem cell treatment done for his bad back. This was a few years ago. I guess the treatment worked. I haven't talked to him about his opinions on the treatment. From what I can see though he appears to be moving around better.

The thing that bugs me about all of these joint recovery testimonials is that you don't see MRI images before and after. As articular cartilage loss progresses you see changes in fluid and the condyle cartilage with MR. If the stem cells actually build back up the cartilage then it should be evidenced with MR imaging.

really nice sprinkled on cereal, but you have to make sure you are getting good quality stem cells, ideally from babies.

Theres loads of cheap eastern block stem cells floating around that come from old people and convicts.

I'm holding out for some cells directly from Thai legends, obviously they'll make me instantly better and a total badass. ;)

To the OPs question, the science is still too early to be definitive much like with PRP injections. Some cases show marked improvement under the right conditions (otherwise healthy and motivated subject who could benefit from the injections in an otherwise low blood flow area) but also lots of negative cases. Depends on how much risk you feel like taking I guess since the long term consequences are basically unknown.

Any studies on spinal disc or arthritis healing with stem cells?

I know we all have heard a lot about stem cell therapy and I am considering trying it for my right knee which is fucked (zero cartilage, arthritis, etc). Its hard to find good information that doesn't turn out to be a big advertisement. I've heard Rogan talk about it on the JRE but that could be some under the table sponsor type shit. Just curious if anybody has any real experiences with it.

It works but in order for it to work you must get alot of them. one aint gonna do it. 5-10 probably will, its expensive, its also not covered by insurance.

The reason its not blatantly out there about its effectiveness, is that insurance companies dont want to pay for it. I used to work in health insurance, the goal is to make money, thus they try to do nothing or as little as possible. Because of this the information about it, its effectiveness, etc, remains controversial. The entire medical system and every aspect of it is for profit business, the doctors, the hospitals, the insurance companies, the pharmacy/drug companies, are all in on it and work together.

I did it for a injury. It works.

Try one, if you dont feel at least a minor improvement, more are not going to work for you.

I didnt do stem cell. I did PRP injection.

There is a lot of quackery around stem cells so you need to be careful you're getting a proven and regulated treatment. https://www.quackwatch.org/06ResearchProjects/stemcell.html

I don't know the truth of it but I've read reports suggesting that it's possible stem cells can cause cancers and catastrophic immune system responses. So I'd want to see the risk:benefit ratio pretty clearly weighted on the benefits side.

This site has good info: http://www.closerlookatstemcells.org/ including a booklet for prospective users of such treatments.

PRP injection is not stem cell treatment. PRP is standard practice in some operations now. I had it during my last shoulder op. They remove the blood at the start of the op, get it processed and inject it in at the end of the op to help speed up the healing process. It can recruit stem cells to the area but it's not stem cell therapy in itself.

There is a lot of quackery around stem cells so you need to be careful you're getting a proven and regulated treatment. https://www.quackwatch.org/06ResearchProjects/stemcell.html

I don't know the truth of it but I've read reports suggesting that it's possible stem cells can cause cancers and catastrophic immune system responses. So I'd want to see the risk:benefit ratio pretty clearly weighted on the benefits side.

This site has good info: http://www.closerlookatstemcells.org/ including a booklet for prospective users of such treatments.

PRP injection is not stem cell treatment. PRP is standard practice in some operations now. I had it during my last shoulder op. They remove the blood at the start of the op, get it processed and inject it in at the end of the op to help speed up the healing process. It can recruit stem cells to the area but it's not stem cell therapy in itself.

Like I said earlier, one of my best friends is at stem cell company trying to be the first with an FDA approved therapy. They've spent hundreds of millions of dollars and their results are still not of sufficient efficacy to obtain regulatory clearance.

Now think rationally, do you think a private office with a doc injecting cells of dubious origin in Vegas is more likely to be quackery or legit?

Consider for a moment that the biotech developing the therapy has a $100m+ facility where they've sourced a 'super-donor' and they incubate and modify the cells for treatment.

910iUYWhaeL._AC_UL320_SR204,320_.jpg

Is it safe to put your life in the chiropractor’s hands?

I was researching available options for stem cell treatment in Florida.

The clinic that I stumbled upon was NSI Stem Cell. I was curious what kind of doctors work there. It seemed strange that they didn’t put the list of their doctors on the website, though the first thing I want to know when looking for a doctor is his qualification and experience.

So, I kept looking and here is what I’ve found.

NSI Stem Cell are chiropractors.

Here is the quote from Regenerative Medicine Now

“Dr. Eric Edgerton D.C

Clearwater, FL

Dr. Eric Edgerton is the founder and Director of the NSI Stem Cell, located in Clearwater, Florida. He holds a doctorate in chiropractic and postgraduate studies including functional medicine, sports medicine, applied clinical nutrition, functional blood chemistry, lymphatic detoxification, and stress management.”

Just so you know, DC stands for Doctor of Chiropractic.

I am confused cuz I always thought that chiropractor is some kind of quack who doesn't have enough education to perform surgeries, injections, etc.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

“Chiropractic is a form of alternative medicine mostly concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine. Proponents claim that such disorders affect general health via the nervous system, claims which are demonstrably false.”

Okay, and this “doctor” is a director, founder and a practising physician in NSI Stem Cell?

Is it safe and legal?

Is it safe to put your life in the chiropractor’s hands?

I was researching available options for stem cell treatment in Florida.

The clinic that I stumbled upon was NSI Stem Cell. I was curious what kind of doctors work there. It seemed strange that they didn’t put the list of their doctors on the website, though the first thing I want to know when looking for a doctor is his qualification and experience.

So, I kept looking and here is what I’ve found.

NSI Stem Cell are chiropractors.

Here is the quote from Regenerative Medicine Now

“Dr. Eric Edgerton D.C

Clearwater, FL

Dr. Eric Edgerton is the founder and Director of the NSI Stem Cell, located in Clearwater, Florida. He holds a doctorate in chiropractic and postgraduate studies including functional medicine, sports medicine, applied clinical nutrition, functional blood chemistry, lymphatic detoxification, and stress management.”

Just so you know, DC stands for Doctor of Chiropractic.

I am confused cuz I always thought that chiropractor is some kind of quack who doesn't have enough education to perform surgeries, injections, etc.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

“Chiropractic is a form of alternative medicine mostly concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine. Proponents claim that such disorders affect general health via the nervous system, claims which are demonstrably false.”

Okay, and this “doctor” is a director, founder and a practising physician in NSI Stem Cell?

Is it safe and legal?

Digs up necro post.......

Had stem cells harvested from my bone marrow for a rotator cuff injury. Didn't do anything. Waste of a lot of money.

PRP did a better job of reducing inflammation and pain.

Had stem cells harvested from my bone marrow for a rotator cuff injury. Didn't do anything. Waste of a lot of money.

PRP did a better job of reducing inflammation and pain.

This is completely believable.

He holds a doctorate in chiropractic and postgraduate studies including functional medicine, sports medicine, applied clinical nutrition, functional blood chemistry, lymphatic detoxification, and stress management.”

I can tell you this, no legitimate academic institution has a class (never mind program) in lymphatic detoxification. LMAO!.

Back