Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

Also no one making a 11-12 inch handguard that I like really sucks when trying to plan a 12-12.5 inch build.

What style are you looking for?

You check these?

V seven, SLR, fortis, kac, noveske nsr, centurion, Aero.

V7 makes an okay one the 2099 enlightened. I have an SLR helix. I prefer my geissele mk8. Needs to be 11-12 inched and mlock and have a profile similar to the geissele.

Currently only things close are erathr3 and v7. Well close and that I like the look of. Just not sure how solid they are. The geissele is solid as hell.

Looked at aero and Fortis. Don't much care for there's.

The kac isn't bad but installing the gas block after the rail look like a PITA. What I may look at is getting a radian set with the 14 inch handgaurd and cutting it and the cerakoating it.

Another test out of NSWC Crane (same guys who tested dickmod vs. M-LOK), this time regarding gastube lengths.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/1...s-system-testing-shows-increased-performance/

So far, Crane has put 30,400 rounds of M855A1 through three M4A1s equipped with 14.5″ cold hammer forged barrels and a mid-gas system with a gas block approximately 9.8″ from the bolt face.

They stated SOF M4A1s normally start to see accuracy degradation at around 6,000 rounds. But during testing of the mid-gas system, they’d hit 12,600 and still hadn’t seen any changes.

After 4 years I may finally be able to complete my AR10 this fall. Woowoo

After 4 years I may finally be able to complete my AR10 this fall. Woowoo

U0wHZYg.gif

I seriously want to get a FFL-07 license so I can build in this god forsaken state, but that ITAR yearly fee ($2500) makes it near impossible if you are not a major manufacturer. Troy is making a killing right now with AR “others” at 1k a pop.
8631A272-5A18-4EC5-A288-101BB0F2E2E8.jpeg
35A7D973-29D2-4FAD-8F65-A595901E1D09.jpeg

Radical Firearms is trying to make a budget “other” ($600), but is using garbage parts producing garbage results.

I seriously want to get a FFL-07 license so I can build in this god forsaken state, but that ITAR yearly fee ($2500) makes it near impossible if you are not a major manufacturer. Troy is making a killing right now with AR “others” at 1k a pop.
View attachment 394917
View attachment 394919

Radical Firearms is trying to make a budget “other” ($600), but is using garbage parts producing garbage results.

You can't build AR's there?

You can't build AR's there?

Yes and no. Yes, I can build an AR if I want to pay a hefty price for a pre ban lower ($1k is usually the minimum for a lower from 1994 versus what? $50 bucks in a free state?). No, the AWB prevents the construction of any post ban date AR’s unless you are exempt (LEO, Military, FFL-07). And the state has already told gun shops they cannot sell “other” lowers only. Either route I go, it will start in the $1k range. Hell, just fixing up a Mini 14 to be more AResque will put you near a grand.

Yes and no. Yes, I can build an AR if I want to pay a hefty price for a pre ban lower ($1k is usually the minimum for a lower from 1994 versus what? $50 bucks in a free state?). No, the AWB prevents the construction of any post ban date AR’s unless you are exempt (LEO, Military, FFL-07). And the state has already told gun shops they cannot sell “other” lowers only.

Well fuck.

I'd maybe look at the cheapest pos "other" complete AR and tear it down, sell parts(if you can) and build something quality out of it. Just make sure the lower is in spec first. Is that an option?

Well fuck.

I'd maybe look at the cheapest pos "other" complete AR and tear it down, sell parts(if you can) and build something quality out of it. Just make sure the lower is in spec first. Is that an option?

I could go with the Radical offering at $600 and gut it. If I can determine their lower is mil-spec, I just might go that route. Either that or see if a family member in another state can build one and private sale it to me.

I think a long range Grendel is next instead of another shorty.

19 inch lilja Grendel barrel, radian upper lower and handguard , geissele trigger etc etc. The long range bug has sort of bit me after shooting that far.

Got to shoot last weekend, had a great time. Shot my buddies seekins, geissele build and liked it alot. Loved his lantac trigger.

Probably try and run the 14.5 out to 600-800 yards sometime this summer. I'll use some black hills tmk 77 grains I think.

Anyone else shoot there 223/ 556 that far?

I think a long range Grendel is next instead of another shorty.

19 inch lilja Grendel barrel, radian upper lower and handguard , geissele trigger etc etc. The long range bug has sort of bit me after shooting that far.

Got to shoot last weekend, had a great time. Shot my buddies seekins, geissele build and liked it alot. Loved his lantac trigger.

Probably try and run the 14.5 out to 600-800 yards sometime this summer. I'll use some black hills tmk 77 grains I think.

Anyone else shoot there 223/ 556 that far?

CMC makes the old lantac trigger, Rise armament makes their new one.

I've shot my 18" custom Radian build that far with 77gr tmk's. It was great out to 400-600 but the time I tried to do 830-950 the wind was shifting like crazy. 5-10 mph swings every 10-20 seconds, directional changes etc. So you'd finally get on target then miss wide left, wait 10 second with no correction miss wide right lol. Even the 6.5 creedmoor was having trouble that day. When it cools down I'll try again at that range. Basically just wasted expensive ammo, however I did manage to get a controlled pair at 830, was pretty awesome to watch 2 hit about .5 seconds and a few " apart.

Back