reyes training gloves

jmpm

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
This is my first post on sherdog although in the past 2 months I must have read about at least 600 threads some being 5 or 6 pages long so I do know the opinions of most people on here and what types of training most glove brands are popular for and what padding they use etc.

however I have been unable to find the answer for some of my questions when reading through the threads, some of them are very minor details but I'm about to spend £500 on equipment so I want to know as much as possible and I want all questions/doubts answered..

I'm planning on buying in 16oz either the reyes hybrids or the reyes hook and loop training gloves for the heavy bag and pads.
I know half of the regular posters on the g and e section of sherdog advise against using regular reyes training gloves on the heavy bag because they lack protection and padding on the knuckles but I have read in a few articles (not on sherdog) and also judging from the pictures I'm going to post that the reyes hybrids have more padding in them than the regular reyes, can anyone on here confirm that or name me a user who has bought both who I can message and ask?.

another thing on this subject I want to ask is I want opinions on which glove would have superior wrist support, I think its common knowledge that laces are a more snug fit and support the wrists better and apparently the same applies to the longer the cuff the more support also, however the reyes hybrids have a shorter cuff than the regular but have the laces as well as Velcro which I could just set myself so that its tight from the palm down and then just tuck them in and strap the Velcro over them but then there's the regular reyes which offers no laces just Velcro and of course the longer cuff.. so which is more likely going to be superior on wrist support?. - no one needs to tell me I need to wrap my hands better I wrap my hands how you're supposed to...

- as for the cons of the regular reyes being inadequate on protection and padding, could someone chime in and explain what is the actual problem with this, is it just a case of sore knuckles after training and stiff fingers and hands or is there some kind of long term damage you could do to yourself that could accumulate over the years?..
and when making contact with the heavy bag the crack in your knuckles and force from the blow travels down your hand to your wrists and all the way up your arm, is'nt that building and conditioning you?, for about 3 months I have just been using wraps and shitty used gloves that my gym supplies which are years old and the padding is worn down, I started as a skinny little boy and as a result of that I have big hands and forearms now and grown a pair of shoulders and just generally bigger upper body although some of that may be from press ups and other ground work exercises but I definitely know the bag made my hands and forearms bigger, so would the more padding and protection compromise my workout?.

- I have read in an article from johnny from expert boxing that it takes 5 minutes to lace up boxing gloves when your doing it the proper way (to get all the benefits from lace ups) can anyone comment on that? because that would be something that would defo make me lean more towards the normal Velcro instead of hybrids, asking someone to tie you up when it takes 5 minutes would be straight up annoying.

sorry if any of my questions seem a bit dopey and pointless to even ask about but can people answer them please.

the first picture is the hybrid and the second is the normal hook and loop, can anyone else notice the hybrids look a lot chunkier padding wise?

Attachments

• 56a3865c304b9_cleto-reyes-universal-training-glove-purple-21008222-0-1452184474000.jpg
    56a3865c304b9_cleto-reyes-universal-training-glove-purple-21008222-0-1452184474000.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Cleto%20Reyes%20Purple%20boxing%20corner%20essex%20main%20event.jpg
    Cleto%20Reyes%20Purple%20boxing%20corner%20essex%20main%20event.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 52
I own both of those sets. My kid has the lace ups and I have the regular velcro. Both are awesome and I have nothing bad to say about either.

As for taking time to lace up gloves, it takes 10 seconds for someone in the gym to help you out with that!

For padding concerns the only 'thing' with reyes is breaking them in takes about 2 weeks...your hands might swell/hurt a little but nothing major...simply dont keep the glove strapped tight initially. After they're broken in theyre sweeeeet gloves.

PS Purple color is a bit gay (unless you are gay, or a woman) lol

I own both of those sets. My kid has the lace ups and I have the regular velcro. Both are awesome and I have nothing bad to say about either.

As for taking time to lace up gloves, it takes 10 seconds for someone in the gym to help you out with that!

For padding concerns the only 'thing' with reyes is breaking them in takes about 2 weeks...your hands might swell/hurt a little but nothing major...simply dont keep the glove strapped tight initially. After they're broken in theyre sweeeeet gloves.

Thanks you said you have the lace ups, do you mean just regular lace ups or the hybrids ( laces and Velcro closure method ) ?

no I'm no not gay and I disagree that only a women or gay should have them.

I would recommend going with the lace up version and buying a pair of lace n loop converters. This way you have the best of both worlds

Thanks you said you have the lace ups, do you mean just regular lace ups or the hybrids ( laces and Velcro closure method ) ?

no I'm no not gay and I disagree that only a women or gay should have them.

The hybrid lace ups

I would recommend going with the lace up version and buying a pair of lace n loop converters. This way you have the best of both worlds

hi thanks for the input but I have already thought of that but lace converters are ugly I would rather have the reyes strap, I'm a bit of a perfectionist I suppose haha. however your defo right that would be superior on the wrist support compared to the both but I'm already buying the black lace up 16 oz for my sparring gloves, my bag gloves I want a different one and its out of the hybrids and the Velcro, any input on what would be better?

oh ok, you said one is for your daughter and the other for yourself, have you by any chance tried your daughters ones on the bag?, if so what are the difference?.

Theyre my son's. Theyre both great gloves the only choice is whether you want an overall more 'fitted' in the future with a lace or not. For me the velcro does the job just fine with the wraps.

The main difference is at the wrist-forearm area not the fist I've noticed

Theyre my son's. Theyre both great gloves the only choice is whether you want an overall more 'fitted' in the future with a lace or not. For me the velcro does the job just fine with the wraps.

The main difference is at the wrist-forearm area not the fist I've noticed

ok thanks

Purple is not gay, and is actually a royal color for the Elite. You poor queer. J/k.

<{1-9}> .

I agree purple is very classy, especially this tone of purple in particular, one could argue that pink was a bit gay but on the other hand a lot of boxers have worn them also, cotto and mayweather are 2 i can think of..

I agree purple is very classy, especially this tone of purple in particular, one could argue that pink was a bit gay but on the other hand a lot of boxers have worn them also, cotto and mayweather are 2 i can think of..
I believe Gervonta Davis wore pink gloves in his last fight also.

I have lace-up with converter in BLUE and boy do I love them.

Get the lace & Loop if nobody is around are you doing any cardio class!

I have lace-up with converter in BLUE and boy do I love them.

Get the lace & Loop if nobody is around are you doing any cardio class!

thanks for the input, although your defo right a lace up with a hook and loop would solve any doubts I have is about as superior as it can get, and there is always someone around but that means nothing to me anyway, Its phychological I would simply feel better in myself having a nice looking pair of gloves, them lace n loop converters are ugly and cheapy looking to be throwing on a reyes glove

Hybrids sizing is different , they don’t come in Oz but in S , M , L ...

I have 14 OZ Velcro and 12 Oz Velcro , the 14 Oz is good for everything , the pocket is pretty large and great quality glove . The 12 Oz pocket is small so it’s a tight fit and after the heavy bag you will have sore wrists here and there . That doesn’t happen with the 14Oz for me .

Any Cleto is a good choice and I think Hybrids are prob a better fit but if you need to take them off and on multiple times during a short span of time then I would go with Velcro’s

Hybrids sizing is different , they don’t come in Oz but in S , M , L ...

I have 14 OZ Velcro and 12 Oz Velcro , the 14 Oz is good for everything , the pocket is pretty large and great quality glove . The 12 Oz pocket is small so it’s a tight fit and after the heavy bag you will have sore wrists here and there . That doesn’t happen with the 14Oz for me .

Any Cleto is a good choice and I think Hybrids are prob a better fit but if you need to take them off and on multiple times during a short span of time then I would go with Velcro’s

yes when I ment 16 oz hybrids I meant a large wich I think is either 14 to 16 or 16 to 18

I need a 16 oz because I want to get used to the sparring weight along with increased speed when moving down to a lower weight, my 12 oz bag and pad gloves which I will be rotating with the 16oz reyes, i will be making a new thread about in a couple of weeks asking for more advice if there is anything I am unsure about after reading through some more threads and recommendations on the current brands which I am thinking on purchasing (custom made sabas primes, pro series or topboxer).

thanks anyway.

just letting everyone know I purchased through juan the 16oz normal hook and loop as the purple hybrids (which i eventually decided i was going to go for) where an old product that they don't make no more and they were not in stock anywhere, bit of a piss take because in my opinion the hybrids are a lot nicer with the shorter cuff and in terms of performance people have either said there both about equal or the hybrids are better, never mind though the hook and loop are still nice gloves.

I have the Hybrids, my Mediums worked out at about 16oz, which is fine by me.

The problem I have though is that while the hybrid closure is great, it's also just a pain. It's not really easy to lace them up around your wrist like regular lace-ups, so the fit isn't quite as perfect as with lace-ups. Plus you have to ask someone to help lace you up every time, which means that if you're going to wear them properly you may as well just buy a pair of lace-ups.

Alternatively you can either tie the laces loose enough to slip your hands in or get some elastic cord (which is what I ended up doing), which helps a bit, but you're really just relying on the velcro, so you may as well buy the actual velcro gloves.

Sounds like you've bought the Velcros anyway, which would probably have been my suggestion in your case.

I have the Hybrids, my Mediums worked out at about 16oz, which is fine by me.

The problem I have though is that while the hybrid closure is great, it's also just a pain. It's not really easy to lace them up around your wrist like regular lace-ups, so the fit isn't quite as perfect as with lace-ups. Plus you have to ask someone to help lace you up every time, which means that if you're going to wear them properly you may as well just buy a pair of lace-ups.

Alternatively you can either tie the laces loose enough to slip your hands in or get some elastic cord (which is what I ended up doing), which helps a bit, but you're really just relying on the velcro, so you may as well buy the actual velcro gloves.

Sounds like you've bought the Velcros anyway, which would probably have been my suggestion in your case.

This is literally the best post Ive seen in a very long time.

Back