How much protein do you eat?

Fire Belly

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I've been thinking a bit about protein lately.

We've pretty much worked out now that eating fat doesn't instantly mean that it goes to your fat stores. It goes through a denature process that is then used as energy by the body (I think... not a scientist). But what about protein. Conventional wisdom is that you need protein to build muscle (1 gram per pound is a ratio I hear a lot), but wouldn't proteins be broken down the same way fat does? I'm thinking of those chunky sheep I have in my top paddock who eat zero grams of protein a day, but they still have a lot of meat on them.

In my bro days I used to try and get about 180-200 grams per day, both through supps and eating meat. These days I don't really watch how much I'm taking in. I'll usually have 1-2 meat meals a day, and occasionally have a protein drink as a meal replacement, but I doubt I'm getting anywhere near what I used to take in. The one thing I do watch is how much sugar I eat, and I avoid bread.

Thing is, I look better these days than I did when I was younger. I do a lot more compound lifts and HIIT sessions now whereas back then it used to be all about the 12x3 iso movements.

So how much do you guys take in? Do you find it helps, or just makes you fart more?

I eat chicken and I have much more strength in training

So I've been thinking a bit about protein lately.

We've pretty much worked out now that eating fat doesn't instantly mean that it goes to your fat stores. It goes through a denature process that is then used as energy by the body (I think... not a scientist). But what about protein. Conventional wisdom is that you need protein to build muscle (1 gram per pound is a ratio I hear a lot), but wouldn't proteins be broken down the same way fat does? I'm thinking of those chunky sheep I have in my top paddock who eat zero grams of protein a day, but they still have a lot of meat on them.

In my bro days I used to try and get about 180-200 grams per day, both through supps and eating meat. These days I don't really watch how much I'm taking in. I'll usually have 1-2 meat meals a day, and occasionally have a protein drink as a meal replacement, but I doubt I'm getting anywhere near what I used to take in. The one thing I do watch is how much sugar I eat, and I avoid bread.

Thing is, I look better these days than I did when I was younger. I do a lot more compound lifts and HIIT sessions now whereas back then it used to be all about the 12x3 iso movements.

So how much do you guys take in? Do you find it helps, or just makes you fart more?
1 g per 1 pound is absolute garbage. It's more like 0.35 g per lb if you're sedentary. If you want to increase muscle, prob aim for 0.5-0.6 g per lb

depends i love protein id like to get 150 grams a day if im half ass training want 80 grams a day if im in fight camp i want at least 160 to 200 which isnt hard really with a pound of ground turkey and about 12 jumbo shrimp

I weigh 155lbs and eat around 80g of protein per day. I train roughly 17 hours per week through road work, strength training and MMA training etc and I don't feel like I need any more protein at all.
People throw the 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight idea around a lot but whenever I've tried to eat 155g of protein per day I've felt pretty sluggish due to all the meat that I'm trying to consume to reach that number. Id much rather eat a few grams of a decent carbohydrate rather than those extra grams of protein and feel much fresher.

Between 130 and 155g currently.
Dont fart more. Noticeable recovery.

Protein conversion to fat is lengthy, energy deficient and doesnt occur readily so ivwouldnt worry about over consuming unless you went well above.

Currently 198lbs and I eat 185-195g a day. I shoot for 25% of my calories as protein.

i ate between 150-200g a day for 17 years, and am now between 60-90g a day for 3 years. Have not lost weight or weight on the lifts that i still do (i have dropped some lifts, though) Stomach feels better, less farting.

edit - im just a little cunt, though, at 5’10 170. i wasnt getting anything out of that extra 100g a day, though.

It depends on what you're currently doing.

Cutting= 1-1.5 grams per lb of BW
Bulking/recomp= 0.6-0.8 grams per lb of LBM

That being said for me I think a good place to be is 0.8 per lb of LBM

i ate between 150-200g a day for 17 years, and am now between 60-90g a day for 3 years. Have not lost weight or weight on the lifts that i still do (i have dropped some lifts, though) Stomach feels better, less farting.

edit - im just a little cunt, though, at 5’10 170. i wasnt getting anything out of that extra 100g a day, though.
I’m eating just protein and fats. And I never have gas. Almost all farting comes from carbohydrates

I'm 191, 6' 1" and about 130 - 160 g of protein (mainly beef and fish, don't like chicken) daily seems to work for me, but I don't lift heavy anymore since I injured my shoulder, it really affected my bench numbers. Pretty much stick to fruits and veggies for carbs but I've been meaning to try keto. High fat, moderate protein sounds good to me, but I have a weakness for fresh fruit.

80 to 100g of protein for me most days.

I feel just as strong as when I ate significantly more protein, but overall feel much better throughout the day now on lower protein.

I've done anywhere from 100g to 0. Never seen or felt a difference.

Last edited:
bru I eat all of it

fish tacos a lot lately good workout protein, otherwise it might get confused with junk food

Back