Powerlifting, heavy bag, self defense

turbopetrol

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi, I just thought about this:

I have been doing RAW powerlifting for few years, just for hobby (1150 no belt total at 6'2''/220 BW). Before that i was doing karate for like year-year and half. And now i am punching/kicking heavy bag for like year and half, maybe twice a week for 30 minutes in average.

Do you think, will i really have advantage against most of people (not fighters of course) in terms of self defense, if I need to?

Yes, very general and maybe somewhat stupid question, but I thought about that few days ago :)

You will likely be able to easily kill (yes) 99% of people in a physical encounter with those stats.

1150 raw total means like 300 bench, 400 squat and 500 deadlift (approx) at 6'2 220lbs. It all depends on your technique on the bag I would say. I would hit jabs, straight rights and crosses. No kicks, no fluff, etc. just basic combinations that you drill 1000s of times.

The average guy benches 150, 1/4 squats a plate and cant deadlift without blowing his back, walks at 5'9 180lbs (25% bodyfat) and never threw a punch in his life. You'll be alright.

The biggest problem of self.defence is fake confidence.

I ve got a friend of mine who is close.to your stats. We have sparred twice for fun and he gassed for.30 seconds and is afraid to get punched. Does not make for a good spar partner.

When we joke for a fighting scenario between us he is always talking how he.would launch on me like an american football player and just push me to the ground and all my boxing will be gone.

Point is boxing training is not standing still and waiting to be tackled and is at least fight preparation and some fight experience.

One of my ex coaches is a night cluv guard and he always complain that.due to his size people jump on him first in case of a fight... which is their biggest mistakes.

A friend of mine with whom I train boxing is also way smaller than me but the.guy is a killer. He is a personal guard and while walking at 75 kg and is 5.8 he has knocking power of a monster is super fast and explosive and technique is amazing. I cant see half his punches comming.

Last edited:
You will likely be able to easily kill (yes) 99% of people in a physical encounter with those stats.

1150 raw total means like 300 bench, 400 squat and 500 deadlift (approx) at 6'2 220lbs. It all depends on your technique on the bag I would say. I would hit jabs, straight rights and crosses. No kicks, no fluff, etc. just basic combinations that you drill 1000s of times.

The average guy benches 150, 1/4 squats a plate and cant deadlift without blowing his back, walks at 5'9 180lbs (25% bodyfat) and never threw a punch in his life. You'll be alright.
Delusional. Yes TS will definitely have the upper hand physically on most people but streetfighting is mental to a large degree. There are some nasty guys out there and working on the heavy bag and lifting weights without any fight experience wont prevent you getting your face punched in. Especially if you are not ready for it mentally.

The biggest problem of self.defence is fake confidence.

I ve got a friend of mine who is close.to your stats. We have sparred twice for fun and he gassed for.30 seconds and is afraid to get punched. Does not make for a good spar partner.

When we joke for a fighting scenario between us he is always talking how he.would launch on me like an american football player and just push me to the ground and all my boxing will be gone.

Point is boxing training is not standing still and waiting to be tackled and is at least fight preparation and some fight experience.

One of my ex coaches is a night cluv guard and he always complain that.due to his size people jump on him first in case of a fight... which is their biggest mistakes.

A friend of mine with whom I train boxing is also way smaller than me but the.guy is a killer. He is a personal guard and while walking at 75 kg and is 5.8 he has knocking power of a monster is super fast and explosive and technique is amazing. I cant see half his punches comming.
Yeah exactly.

I'm about 6'2 200lbs and not weak, and the most I've ever been knocked around and destroyed in sparring is by two small dudes. We're talking featherweights/lightweights. Granted they were both professional and amateur at a high level, but still. I've sparred plenty of big and strong guys with average skill who would wilt when pressured, had no accuracy and mediocre power.

Last edited:
yes you should be strong enough to just slam people on the concrete, that will win you enough fights

It certainly helps to be strong but if you’re talking about winning street fights it all depends on who you cross. I grew up with a kid who was like 5’9/150 lbs and he was one of the meanest SOBs you’d ever meet. He would literally fight anyone and would win more often than not.

Delusional. Yes TS will definitely have the upper hand physically on most people but streetfighting is mental to a large degree. There are some nasty guys out there and working on the heavy bag and lifting weights without any fight experience wont prevent you getting your face punched in. Especially if you are not ready for it mentally.

Well I assumed TS wasn't a soyboy. I've bounced for 4 years and while I've met ''mean SOBs!'' physiciality and training always trumps ''attitude''. 5'9 150lbs tough guys who watched a few Bruce Lee movies aren't so tough when unconscious on the pavement.

Actual bigger guys with training like me never escalated to physicality, because we both knew what was at stake. People with fight training will usually avoid street fights.

Well I assumed TS wasn't a soyboy. I've bounced for 4 years and while I've met ''mean SOBs!'' physiciality and training always trumps ''attitude''. 5'9 150lbs tough guys who watched a few Bruce Lee movies aren't so tough when unconscious on the pavement.

Actual bigger guys with training like me never escalated to physicality, because we both knew what was at stake. People with fight training will usually avoid street fights.
I don't know what a soyboy is supposed to mean. The clear majority of people have never been in a streetfight and will do everything to avoid physical confrontation. Well alcohol can change that, but beating up on drunk people doesn't really mean much. Have you even had an amateur fight?

My point is, lifting weights doesn't make you good at fighting. Sure size and strength helps if you are.

Thank you for replies. I just punching bag as cardio training, because i dont want to be fat, but i also make sure, that my technique is, at least, acceptable. Sometimes I try to make it as realistic as possible (jab-cross-jump backward quickly/circles around bag/swinging bag, try to avoid and immediately make some jabs, hooks, lowkicks...) and sometimes just standing there and practice the same strikes like robot "billion times" :) Sure, you cant be really prepared for some situations, so i still avoid physicall encounters. I dont want any problems, but shit can always happen, you never know...

Okay, whilst in theory you do have an advantage due to your size and strength you also need to train realistically. You would need to get used to the whoosh factor of adrenal dump. I've had friends freeze in fights and lose due to not handling their adrenalin. Looking at them you'd think they were shoo ins to win but they froze up and lost out.

Plus anyone who decides they really want a go at you for your cash or whatever may pull a weapon or just cold cock you and take it off of you. You need to be aware of your situation and surroundings to stop these type of ambush predators and ensure you don't resemble a decent target for them..

Okay, whilst in theory you do have an advantage due to your size and strength you also need to train realistically. You would need to get used to the whoosh factor of adrenal dump. I've had friends freeze in fights and lose due to not handling their adrenalin. Looking at them you'd think they were shoo ins to win but they froze up and lost out.

Plus anyone who decides they really want a go at you for your cash or whatever may pull a weapon or just cold cock you and take it off of you. You need to be aware of your situation and surroundings to stop these type of ambush predators and ensure you don't resemble a decent target for them..

The ambush factor is huge. Street fighting is not sport fighting and even though its dirty prepare to deliver or take a sucker punch.

i grew up in a crime ridden city and i have been in and seen my fair share of physical altercations..........your best is not to fight yea i said it....when you are in a street fight tempers flair and you dont know who is going to jump in or pull a gun/knife etc.

you can train all the BJJ, TKD, wrestling or hit the heavy bag and deadlift 900 pound it helps to know all that but it isnt always going to save you

i grew up in a crime ridden city and i have been in and seen my fair share of physical altercations..........your best is not to fight yea i said it....when you are in a street fight tempers flair and you dont know who is going to jump in or pull a gun/knife etc.

you can train all the BJJ, TKD, wrestling or hit the heavy bag and deadlift 900 pound it helps to know all that but it isnt always going to save you

Disengage at all costs. The honor factor is not worth your health, time, money. You might get hurt, or you might permenently damage someone.

I think before I started training I had a rather ignorant confidence that I could take anyone in a streetfight just cause I lifted weights

now after sparring standup and rolling bjj I know better, and if I absolutely had to defend myself or family I think I could stand a chance, but now I try to avoid confrontation or similar situations at all cost, just not worth it

not only could you get yourself, but perhaps even worse you might seriously injure or kill someone else, and have to deal with all the headache that comes with that

Well considering the fact that pretty much you're bigger and stronger than 99% people on the streets... You should be able to beat them up. Karate for a year and hitting the heavy bag like you saw on youtube ain't fight training but let's be realistic... Those 99% people that are walking the streets are not only smaller and weaker than you but they don't have any real fighting skills... How many people with real fighting skills do you know?

And fuck all of these stories with "I knew a guy that was so mean... They make me LOL pretty bad"

But TS, why don't you start to also train a highly realistic martial art like boxing or muay thai? And gain significant proefficiency in fighting too as you did in fitness? And then some grappling and you're not only bigger and stronger than 99% people on the street but you're also a better fighter from all points of view?

Yeah exactly.

I'm about 6'2 200lbs and not weak, and the most I've ever been knocked around and destroyed in sparring is by two small dudes. We're talking featherweights/lightweights. Granted they were both professional and amateur at a high level, but still. I've sparred plenty of big and strong guys with average skill who would wilt when pressured, had no accuracy and mediocre power.
I believe muscle mass in excess is as bad as fat but while I agree with everyone in this thread I wanted to ask you if you knew a good powerlifting routine for combat sports in general as I am not going 3 times a week to judo and have energy for lifting.

TS, why don't you start to also train a highly realistic martial art like boxing or muay thai? And gain significant proefficiency in fighting too as you did in fitness? And then some grappling and you're not only bigger and stronger than 99% people on the street but you're also a better fighter from all points of view?

Well, I love powerlifting and I think, if i will start training fight seriously, it gets much more difficult to make progress as a powerlifter. This is the reason.

When i just punching bag few times a week, it dont have negative impact on my strength, regeneration etc.

Well, I love powerlifting and I think, if i will start training fight seriously, it gets much more difficult to make progress as a powerlifter. This is the reason.

When i just punching bag few times a week, it dont have negative impact on my strength, regeneration etc.
You're asking questions about fighting while on a mma forum :p I think that you are quite interested in it and would be a shame not to pursue it.

And after all think about it... Wouldn't it be lame as fuck to be in town with your girl and some random douchebag start some trouble with you or touch her or something like that, inadvertendly you getting into a fight with him and him knocking you the fuck out in front of your girlfriend? Just because he knows how to fight and you have no idea? And you didn't want to hurt your powerlifting numbers by learning how to fight? Don't those powerlifting numbers seem ridiculous now in this situation?...

Good post.

Back