Trouble getting abs...

Senzo Tanaka

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for developing a strong core and abs.

I have good size and muscle but I've never been able to get abs or a strong core. My stomach is flat but it's virtually without definition.

Is it genetics, do I need to keep getting my body fat even lower or do I need to focus on building muscle down there to make it pop?

Train your core for strenght and mobility. Not for looks

you need to watch this!
Basically nutrition + exercises + tons of work

dont worry how they look........from the guy who has abs that could be on the cover of a fitness magazine

Yeah. But thats just side effect from the main goal.

Main goal being a strong core for kicks and clinching.

The key is to have a girlfriend leave you for a better looking and more successful man. Then through hatred and selfloathing you discontinue eating. Training more jiu jitsu and more hating the entire world you end up looking like this.

I hope my story inspires you to greatness.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180607-222444_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180607-222444_Chrome.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 45
Yeah. But thats just side effect from the main goal.

Main goal being a strong core for kicks and clinching.

Frode doesn't have Abs, that's Photoshop, he's not even European, he's a fat Thai tuk tuk driver from Bangkok, they scam everyone........he's had Sherdog going for ages, him and his mates have a laugh about it over some Sangsom.......when they are not out taking Farang to scam fish restaurants......

Frode doesn't have Abs, that's Photoshop, he's not even European, he's a fat Thai tuk tuk driver from Bangkok, they scam everyone........he's had Sherdog going for ages, him and his mates have a laugh about it over some Sangsom.......when they are not out taking Farang to scam fish restaurants......

<GinJuice>

I have good size and muscle but I've never been able to get abs or a strong core. My stomach is flat but it's virtually without definition.

Is it genetics, do I need to keep getting my body fat even lower or do I need to focus on building muscle down there to make it pop?
heavy one-arm kettlebell swings will shred your core. I never saw my upper abs in my life until i started these. plus it's a manly exercise .

heavy one-arm kettlebell swings will shred your core. I never saw my upper abs in my life until i started these. plus it's a manly exercise .
i like me some swings. Although i feel it in my core it doesn't really give me an ab burn per se.

Ab wheel works for me. Plus hundreds of situps at training.
But mostly diet. Bigger abs are more visable at higher fat percentages
I bulk/cut cycle to get better results

I would reccomend training abs three times a week along with other muscles but try doing different Workouts each time , there are millions of other workouts for abs and do them all if you can and ou will definitely notice it then

Visable abs are going to be mostly about diet. Distance running is a good way to melt fat off

(Exercise)
Treat abs like any other muscle group you were trying to make gains on. Maximize the tension they're under and abandon the high repetition stuff. Think of more taxing exercises such as the following:

Windshield wipers on the pull up bar
L sits on the dip station (static isometric hold)
Hanging leg raises on the pull up bar
Dragon flags on the bench (static isometric hold)

Experiment with your weight, and discover the range where your abs are more easily visible. For example, at 170lbs and under my abs really pop. If I get over 180lbs I start to look bulkier, stronger but not as defined. I've experienced this difference in appearance several times. You may have a weight where you'll have the most definition, or like your look the best.

Of course cardio is a big one. HIIT, and roadwork (running) both have their place. HIIT training makes me look more vascular, but running slims my waistline so I use both.

Mix it up, and experiment.

(Nutrition)
If that doesn't work you could count your calories, and lower them week by week as you try to get to your ideal look. Remember to take pictures. We sometimes can't appreciate the progress we've made if we are recalling in our minds what we use to look like. Get a collection of photos, and track the exercises you were doing and the foods you were eating when each was taken.

Drink plenty of water. It flushes toxins, and skeletal muscles are about 70% water. Water can also act as an appetite suppressant. Research macro, and micronutrients as well. There is a wealth of knowledge, and studies done to see how they affect the human body that should be available online. If that doesn't work, there may be a nutritionist in your area that you can consult. They'll have the most science based recommendations for what you should be eating.

Ab's don't show unless you get low enough.
Counterpoint:
BAaYyw8sVtYrDXH9daSE1SnBg72uTLCBxHN-Md43awcC-cJHFfzX017u1FHCg5Wq2F03quT3up8griECEVwh3ykpIL3IE1QpA7BEZ4iWsg71__9KNxVfQAnnXws3lXxlLkszLBJ_vwX8m5mTazpxse-Xf66XrkEOvufdequxtTuFD0GrBHfVw27hFW_CaIyTAw=w220-h267-nc

But crunches aren't going to do it.

Back