BMR question

Jrohm24

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I took an InBody test the other day (skeletal muscle mass, weight, bf%) and my bmr was 1950. I know these tests aren’t 100% accurate. And when I enter my info on most websites or myfitnesspal specifically, my bmr comes out to around 2500-2700. I’m 6ft 195 at roughly 17% bf and 165lbs skeletal muscle mass. boxing/muaythai/bjj 5 days a week and lifting weights/cardio at the very least 3 days a week usually 5. For work I’m on my ass so other than training and working out not much activity to account for

So basically my question is what would you say my BMR would be roughly? Hard to think it’d be as low as 1900 but I assume the test would be more accurate than entering stats on a app/website. Any input is appreciated!

And yes, I have been losing weight but I’m just wondering if I could be losing more or losing it more efficiently if I was eating more/less. It’s kind of back n forth right now I’m stalled where I’m at it seems. Right now I do 1700cal weekdays and on weekends just try to stay under 2500.

1950 is bullshit. you are much too low with 1700 daily. with your training level, height, weight and bf% you should lose weight with 2500 or even more.

don't reduce calories so drastically. if it's just a hobby for you then take it easy and enjoy the process.

a lot of people are fine with a low carb approach.

Last edited:
Eh, I dunno how BS this reading might be. Definitely sounds too low, but I'm not sure if it's 1,000 calories too low. My stats are almost identical to yours, and most calculators will spit out something in the 2600 - 2800 range.

Went on Keto for 12 weeks, aiming (and often coming in slightly under) 1,800 daily cals. I lost 20 lbs (205 to 185) in that time, but at least 9 of that was during the first 4 weeks when my body was adjusting to the diet. I did conditioning work 5x a week also (jump rope, calisthenics or hill sprints), so I was definitely below 1,800 on those days. I was averaging about 1 lb a week after the initial loss, but that would suggest that my BMR is closer to the lower 2000s rather than the upper 2000s. Now I've shifted focus back to strength training and added back in good carbs (no more bread), 2400 calories per day, gaining strength, gaining weight, but definitely doesn't feel like I'm losing fat, which I should be if my BMR was actually ~2700.

In my case, I chalked it up to getting older, and having an office job where I sit 90% of the time. On a sidenote, I felt better in many ways on the low carb diet. My energy levels felt no worse and actually more stable, only major thing being that I have a really hard time imagining how it would be possible to make gains in strength and lean mass with that little calories.

So I took an InBody test the other day (skeletal muscle mass, weight, bf%) and my bmr was 1950. I know these tests aren’t 100% accurate. And when I enter my info on most websites or myfitnesspal specifically, my bmr comes out to around 2500-2700. I’m 6ft 195 at roughly 17% bf and 165lbs skeletal muscle mass. boxing/muaythai/bjj 5 days a week and lifting weights/cardio at the very least 3 days a week usually 5. For work I’m on my ass so other than training and working out not much activity to account for

So basically my question is what would you say my BMR would be roughly? Hard to think it’d be as low as 1900 but I assume the test would be more accurate than entering stats on a app/website. Any input is appreciated!
https://tdeecalculator.net/

1950 is bullshit. you are much too low with 1700 daily. with your training level, height, weight and bf% you should lose weight with 2500 or even more.

don't reduce calories so drastically. if it's just a hobby for you then take it easy and enjoy the process.

a lot of people are fine with a low carb approach.
I kind of thought it was too low as well. I could easily put away more food throughout the day especially after training or road work or something. gonna bump my daily intake up a bit and see what happens

Had practice tonight, sparred a pretty hard 4-5 rounds then did a few miles of roadwork afterwords. Came home had a small salad and was gonna try to sleep but my head was hurting and I felt sick to my stomach so I was trying to think back if I ate any big shots and I might be concussed (was starting to worry cuz I have a match Saturday) but I didn’t get my head snapped back or get rocked at all. Finally decided to get outta bed and eat and the sick feeling and heachache went away literally instantly lol. I’m sure sparring DID play a part in the headache but idk I was just thinking this might be more proof my cal intakes a bit to low. Seems like my body was trying to let me know I needed more food in me after that hard of a session.

Your BMR is the number of calories you burn if you would do literally nothing except for lying there and breathing. When I put your stats in with an age of 30, I end up with a BMR of 1990. If you work out as much as you say you do, it's indeed very well possible you lose weight while eating 2500 calories a day, because that's still under the daily caloric intake needed to maintain your weight. It has fairly little to do with your BMR though.

Back