A Little Bit Of Lethwei

the quality of the fighters is lackluster. most of these guys would be finished by mid-tier thai and dutch fighters regardless that they have more weapons to use and less rules

the quality of the fighters is lackluster. most of these guys would be finished by mid-tier thai and dutch fighters regardless that they have more weapons to use and less rules
Wasn't Keo Rumchong pretty good?

different game. don't see dutch combo spammers doing to good under Lethwei rules.

Can we do a stickied lethwei thread? Would be cool to follow the scene but i have no idea where to start
Make a thread with the same title formatting as the others and if it gains consistent posts I'll have it stickied.

I should probably get the KB/MT in Boxing stickied what do you guys think?

Wasn't Keo Rumchong pretty good?

He was not a Lethwei fighter...

A couple of Lethwei stars joined the Thai Fight Kard Cheuk events a few years ago.
I think all of them lost by decision, because while they are clearly tough, their techniques are not refined enough
to outpoint muay Thai opponents.

Wasn't a random Canadian muay thai fighter somehow managed to beat Lethwei GOAT and become
a superstar in Myanmar?

Dunno if a Lethwei thread would be active enough to be a sticky. Some Southeast Asia thread might be better, could lump ONE stuff there too.

Wasn't a random Canadian muay thai fighter somehow managed to beat Lethwei GOAT and become
a superstar in Myanmar?
Yup

Sorta yeah. Fun to watch but can't look a lot of it as of very high level usually.

That guy tweets and obsesses over lethwei. Could've written something instead just post a link without any explanation I guess :) Links to streams etc.

Last edited:

A couple of Lethwei stars joined the Thai Fight Kard Cheuk events a few years ago.
I think all of them lost by decision, because while they are clearly tough, their techniques are not refined enough

a superstar in Myanmar?
Well i'm really clueless when it comes to lethwei and other SEA martial arts. What did Keo Rumchong practise? And what rulesets do the border fights have? I saw a video in which Saiyok said most thai fighters were scared of border fights, since gloves aren't used

a superstar in Myanmar?

keo rumchong is a kun khmer fighter.

Wasn't a random Canadian muay thai fighter somehow managed to beat Lethwei GOAT and become a superstar in Myanmar?

He's called Dave Leduc and he did beat Tun Tun Min once due to Tun Tun Min getting injured, and that was his 2nd attempt after a first unsuccessful attempt.

However Tun Tun Min isn't the GOAT, he's just the champion of the +80kg category. And just like in Muay Thai, once you start going into weight categories above 70kg the skill level and number of talented fighters diminish.On top of that Leduc had a massive height and reach advantage on Tun Tun Min.

Their first fight:

Their second fight:

I saw a video in which Saiyok said most thai fighters were scared of border fights, since gloves aren't used

Yes them being scared of border fights is a mix of those border fights not using gloves and sometimes including headbutts, but also the fights being very aggressive in nature as a lot of times there are no judges and the opponent is constantly trying for the KO, unlike in MT where the pace can sometimes be a bit slower especially in the first couple of rounds because of the gambling.

I don't actually know the pay numbers but I don't think I'd be wrong by guessing that those border fights are also less money than stadium MT fights.

A Burmese friend of mine who competed in both Lethwei and Muay Thai at mid-level in local shows in Myanmar and Thailand and who's a bit older than his competing days now has told me when I asked if he would fight again that there was no way he would fight again in Lethwei but Muay Thai could be an option. I asked him why even though I could imagine the answer, and he shook his head with a smile and said "Lethwei too crazy. Lethwei fighters are very tough, not good technique like Muay Thai but Lethwei fighters very strong in the head!"

a superstar in Myanmar?

Lmfao and that canadian aka dave leduc tries hard to make it seem like lethwei is tougher better, etc than muay thai.

Typical indirect way to say im better than all of you. I just stop following the lame dude.

I just assume that Tun Tun Min is the GOAT, because Burmese fans on youtube keep on saying he would
kick Buakaw's ass. I guess it is more like he is the superstar like Buakaw, but not GOAT.
Kind of similar to Keo Rumchang, who is probably not the GOAT, but the superstar that the casual fans
in Cambodia thought was a GOAT, until he got crushed by Yod.

I think the actual GOAT of Lethwei is someone that fought in the Kardcheuk reality show in Thai fight a few years
back.

That guy tweets and obsesses over lethwei. Could've written something instead just post a link without any explanation I guess :) Links to streams etc.

really nice dude. always helps me out a lot, when I asked him for some Lethwei knowledge.

I also just asked him the Lethwei GOAT question.

L0obeOe.png

Last edited:
Headbutt in Letwei, knee to the grounded opponent or foot stomp or soccer kick in MMA.

these kinds of technique might work on the street, but in my humble opinion it doesn't really have a place in modern combat sports.

Lethwei would still be awesome if the combat sports remove headbutt, it doesn't mean the actual martial art is getting rid of the technique.

they could give them some adrenaline shots so the only way to ko one is literally kills him.
And add some small rabid dogs in the ring , biting the legs of the fighters

There was an Iranian muay thai fighter who did very well in lethwei. I dont mean the typical nak mauy who can land kicks from the outside in lethwei. They dont train to defend that so its pretty meaningless. This guy would run in there and brawl with high level lethwei guys and not beat them but do very well.

Lmfao and that canadian aka dave leduc tries hard to make it seem like lethwei is tougher better, etc than muay thai.

Typical indirect way to say im better than all of you. I just stop following the lame dude.

Yeah, I like that he makes people more aware of Lethwei, but he's never beaten anyone in Muay Thai and in Lethwei he usually fights to a draw

You speak about zaw tum, i dont know if i write his name correctly.

But i remember him when he fought a friend of me Dimitri Masson, i see a fighter who have big heart and are not afraid to take a shot with this kind of gloves.

He also do a strong fight versus Youssef BOUGHANEM, and both of this guy told me that Zaw Tum are very stong but not so technical.

It is a cons in Kard chuek or Lethwei rules ? Dont think so...

Im really interested about Letwhei scene, if someone is ready to do a thread with generalist information, like rules, organisation, purses, stars etc..i will be very happy ahah

This is a rumor floating that Tun Tun Min might face Saiyok in Yangon. Dont know if this is just a rumor or a fight in the making. Burmese are not known for their fight purses thus they dont draw A talent more like C class in competitors. Saiyok is older now but has been successful in the recent hand wrap Thai Fights show.

Tun Tun is very strong and powerful and like you said not very technical. He might have peaked already and is on the downhill. I think his fights with Cyrus were good then he lost to Dave but he injured himself in the last fight, so lets see how he does in his comeback.

A great doc on Lethwei is Born Warriors.
http://www.bornwarriorsmovie.com
The facebook page and youtube channel in addition to the site has alot of good stuff. Less fights and more deeper insight into the sport itself.

Leduc is a muay thai trained fighter. He has a massive publicity department trying to sell him hard all over the internet. Most of the stuff he says is nonsense and not advancing the sport at all because to everyone outside of Myanmar nobody is buying it.

Back